Main Menu

Caldor

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_fife

what was the rocky hill caldor that was 90,000 sq.ft. and opened 1970.

Caldor1999

sad to see hjow wal mart took over so many locations same with kohls bradlees also ha dteh same thing happen tot hem too
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

d_fife

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
caldor sign peekskill

caldor remain in peekskill

XISMZERO

here is what is now the one in southington CT. it opened like the 1970s and appears it was remodeled and is 87,000 sq.ft.

Remodeled? They completely demolished the former Caldor of Queen Street in Southington. The Southington Caldor looked like the one you saw in West Hartford. Wal-Mart wasted no time acquiring that former "Caldor Village" property and building a Wal-Mart from scratch.

That plaza also had a Namco pool store, which was relocated down in the Queen Bee Plaza across the street and the Super Foodmart which has been a liquor store for years now.

That Wal-Mart opened in 2000 and was my first job, I worked there from Q4 2003 to Q1 2004.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

here is what is now the caldor in new britian CT and it was 85,000 sq.ft. and must have opened in the 1970s. I wodner if this caldor got remodeled when it was caldor as this town was run down.

Yes, that's most of New Britain for ya (run down). That was my childhood Caldor. It looked like the Southington and West Hartford stores all former "Star's" buildings acquired by Caldor in the 1970s and were unrenovated until the very end (rainbow-era stores). That Wal-Mart smells bad, attracts trashy crowds and is located next to an old plaza that hasn't seen change in a long time.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

what is now the old 86,000 sq.ft. bristol Ct one and it was kmart for a few years.

That store's facade has remained the same for many decades. Dare I say it's unchanged from the early 1980s. I remember it as a Caldor but not as a Kmart (even though it was for a few years post Caldor's closings).
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by XISMZERO
here is what is now the caldor in new britian CT and it was 85,000 sq.ft. and must have opened in the 1970s. I wodner if this caldor got remodeled when it was caldor as this town was run down.

Yes, that's most of New Britain for ya (run down). That was my childhood Caldor. It looked like the Southington and West Hartford stores all former "Star's" buildings acquired by Caldor in the 1970s and were unrenovated until the very end (rainbow-era stores). That Wal-Mart smells bad, attracts trashy crowds and is located next to an old plaza that hasn't seen change in a long time.

I agree. that wal-mart was also small.

now back to caldor. how many CT stores had the rainbow era. 5 yrs ago I went to the ames in stoneham mass and the back of hte store had the rainbow labelscar. I never went to a rainbow caldor: I went to the oens in methuen (IT HAD ORANGE LETTERING AND inside was dark and orange), bedford nh, northampton mass, framingham mass, burlington mass.

Man caldor had a lot in CT. being in new britain, southington, west hartford and bristol and avon which are not very far from each other and in vernon and manchester. and a lot where in eastern New york ,like them being in peekskill and yorktown which are not far apart and had one in mohapac which is not far from yorktown like 30 minutes and had one in bedford hills. I heard they started in portchester and that must be why they have so many stores in the CT And eastern NY market. (THE POST ABOVE WAS THE first topic that has reached 1,000 posts)

XISMZERO

The Connecticut "Caldor rainbow" stores I remember are the ones we visited a lot when I was a kid. Namely; Southington, New Britain, and West Hartford (which I actually never visited as a kid probably because that area of town is horrible and out of the way). We also frequented Avon, Newington stores but both were newer, cleaner stores which were updated to the 1990's designs (and in better areas). We went to Manchester store a few times and it looked like the one in Waterbury (and Stoneham) sans the "rainbow".

One grand reason why Caldor locations were heavy in Connecticut is probably because it originated in Norwalk, Connecticut. Another reason why you won't find many vacant stores is because Caldor was notorious for finding prime areas in high traffic locations most of which Wal-Mart had been eyeing for a long time. It would seem Kohl's also snatched many properties as well.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Caldor1999

The Connecticut "Caldor rainbow" stores I remember are the ones we visited a lot when I was a kid. Namely; Southington, New Britain, and West Hartford (which I actually never visited as a kid probably because that area of town is horrible and out of the way). We also frequented Avon, Newington stores but both were newer, cleaner stores which were updated to the 1990's designs (and in better areas). We went to Manchester store a few times and it looked like the one in Waterbury (and Stoneham) sans the "rainbow".

One grand reason why Caldor locations were heavy in Connecticut is probably because it originated in Norwalk, Connecticut. Another reason why you won't find many vacant stores is because Caldor was notorious for finding prime areas in high traffic locations most of which Wal-Mart had been eyeing for a long time. It would seem Kohl's also snatched many properties as well.

wlll caldor has store located in high populated places and they did alot of bizz untill they had trobble from wal mart and such and im gusisng kohls wanted to expand into teh north east so thast why they snached up so many locations i find it kida sad ina way i means compired to names which still to this day has alot of vacant stores evebn braldees still has a hand full of stores vacant
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999

wlll caldor has store located in high populated places and they did alot of bizz untill they had trobble from wal mart and such and im gusisng kohls wanted to expand into teh north east so thast why they snached up so many locations i find it kida sad ina way i means compired to names which still to this day has alot of vacant stores evebn braldees still has a hand full of stores vacant

but they did not last long in syracuse and rochester ny (something said people did not shop at the caldors over 4 times a year)

they did not last in VA either.

Caldor1999

but they did not last long in syracuse and rochester ny (something said people did not shop at the caldors over 4 times a year)

they did not last in VA either.

the caldors in va clsoed in 1998 bradlees also did do wel down tehre after montgomery ward solde some jefferson ward locatiosn to them down there also
Caldor Forever!

storehistoryguy

Yesturday I was down at Center Point Plaza in Warminster Pa. with my digital camera and took some pictures of the old Caldor/Ames/Burlington. It was a Caldor 1975-1999, Ames 2000-2002 and Burlington Coat Factory 2003-2005. I worked there when it was Caldor in the early ninties for about a year and a half. The buildng was a beige color when it was Caldor and Ames. Burlington painted it the way it is now.

storehistoryguy

storehistoryguy

storehistoryguy

When Caldor was there that used to be a clock. Ames took it down in 2000 and put up the palm tree pictures. It was creaper then fixing it I guess. The clock broke around 1995.

storehistoryguy

Around the back and side the Ames green overhangs are still there. There were different ones there when it was Caldor that were brown, orange and yellow like the Caldor rainbow.

storehistoryguy

storehistoryguy

storehistoryguy

This is the parking space I parked in when I worked at Caldor.

storehistoryguy

The doors. The radiator on the right has been there since the 70's.

storehistoryguy

Not a great picture but this is inside. Burlington ruined it. They took down the ceiling tiles and tore down the walls. When Caldor was here it was all yellow, orange and brown. Ames made it green.

Caldor1999

nice pictures teh back of the store still has the caldor loook to it sad to see that Burlington Coat Factory took it over
Caldor Forever!

d_fife

wal-mart sign in the original caldor spot in avon CT. a friend from my college from avon told me this caldor was bad looking.

I was told the one in pembroke mass was like a rundown bradlees.

beachgal26

That is so sad when even a Burlington Coat Factory can't make a go of it in a former Cadlor spot!

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgal26
That is so sad when even a Burlington Coat Factory can't make a go of it in a former Cadlor spot!

well Burlington Coat Factory isa nto that great of a store to begen wit and it problety dident do well there cause of the location maby
Caldor Forever!

XISMZERO

wal-mart sign in the original caldor spot in avon CT. a friend from my college from avon told me this caldor was bad looking.

This one wasn't nearly as trashy as the stores in Southington and New Britain. This was one of the stone pillar looking stores but I never remember this one having the rainbow. Today, it sits in the back of a vacant The Pie Plate restaurant which has probably been there before Caldor.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Caldor1999

idk teh location of this caldor but it was probley located in ma seeing as how alot of the ma stores had the rainbow logo this pic i believe was takeing in feb 1999 qwhen caldor was going its gob sales not to mention the pic is dated cheack out the old caldor carts too
Caldor Forever!

d_fife

idk teh location of this caldor but it was probley located in ma seeing as how alot of the ma stores had the rainbow logo this pic i believe was takeing in feb 1999 qwhen caldor was going its gob sales not to mention the pic is dated cheack out the old caldor carts too

where is this store?

d_fife

here is what is now the caldor in middletown CT (it was ames for a few years) this caldor I heard was 75,000 sq.ft. and opened 1975 and a picture of it is on ames store locator and it was probably one of the trashy caldors. the area (middletown / meriden) was kind of trashy. look at the kind of plaza it was in