Main Menu

Caldor

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XISMZERO

Here's another picture of the Caldor in New Britain, CT from an ex-employee who sent it to me. It was taken Summer 1990.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

C. Fontaine

That's pretty awesome to see how that Swept Wing thing looked in its heyday.

XISMZERO

THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Caldor1999

amazing pics i hope someone who worked at the bedford hills caldor sees this sight and sends in pics lol but yea i love the vintage 70's caldor
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Anonymous

Hey Guys... I'm not sure if anybody is interested, but I work at a party store (party stop) across the street from a former caldor in Brookfield, CT now kohls. When Caldor went out our store purchased a large amount of fixtures including the large top part of the carousel fixture that many newer caldors featured in their front lobbies. As to my best knowlege our store owner is still trying to sell it to make space. This thing is huge. If anybody is interested I could get more information from my manager.

PartyStopKid

Rayco7030

QuoteOriginally posted by XISMZERO
Here's another picture of the Caldor in New Britain, CT from an ex-employee who sent it to me. It was taken Summer 1990.

the rainbow --- what a memory

;)
Ames,King's,Mars,Two-Guys,Bradlees,
Caldor,Steigers,Wt Grant,Zayre,Woolco,
Woolworth,Sears,K-Mart,JC Penny,Target,
Wal-Mart,Child World,Pondersoa,Shop Rite
,Big Y,Winn-Dixie.Syop And Shop,Toys R Us
,Arby's,Howard Johnson's,Holiday Inn
,Sheraton Inn,Double D Dairy Bar,
Friendly's,Dunkin Dounuts,Wendy's,
Burger King.MCdonald's

webcookie

I just dug up an old (1998) Caldor receipt.

And here's the store where it came from (Middletown, NY -- currently closed and abandoned):

Before there was Wal-Mart...
Caldor, Zayre, Woolworth, Bradlees, K-Mart, & Ames ruled the Earth.

TheRetroNickFan

Sorry to say, but there is no vacant Caldor in Hamilton Township. These are the stores in Consumer Square:

Best Buy
Target
BJs Wholesale Club
Kohl's
Some furniture place
Some makeup place
Godfathers Pizza
GameStop
And a couple other small stores (will have to check their names later)

But there's no vacant Caldor anywhere in that area.

NJxxJon

QuoteOriginally posted by TheRetroNickFan
Sorry to say, but there is no vacant Caldor in Hamilton Township. These are the stores in Consumer Square:

Best Buy
Target
BJs Wholesale Club
Kohl's
Some furniture place
Some makeup place
Godfathers Pizza
GameStop

Im still trying to find the BRADLESS Over here in hamilton TWP. My GPS took me down a back road. I can get pics too If need be.
JN

TheRetroNickFan

There's a Bradlees on a back road? That's interesting. Never really been anywhere in Hamilton outside of the main congested area on Route 322.

FearlessSwan

The Stamford, CT Caldor was unique among the chain for being in the middle of a downtown area and having a built-in parking garage. Also, the pharmacy was set off from the rest of the store, and had its own entrance on the side of the building.

The store was remodeled in the early 90s, updating the color scheme to the newer red and gray and adding a Nathan's snack bar.

The elevator connecting all four floors (two levels of shopping, two levels of parking) was dark, rusty and often out of order.

The Greenwich (Riverside) Caldor was actually closer to my home, but it was small and understocked, so we usually avoided it.

Caldor1999

heres a lil something i found on flicker
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

videogamer75

I was watching the family guy episode where peter and his family move to texas, and I could've sworn that I heard the old guy in one of the scenes say "I bought these at caldor" and this episode was made in 2007.

XISMZERO

UPDATE: 6-27-2008. Flushing-Queens, NY.

All signage still up, albeit in pieces. It's in the middle of Queens within a richly Asian ghetto. Area was very rundown, dumpy. Picture taken from 40 St.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

UPDATE: 6-27-2008. Flushing-Queens, NY.

A vacant Caldor on Main St./40 St. It's at the train station. The garage bays were open but I didn't really want to check that out.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

videogamer75

Best Buy
Target
BJs Wholesale Club
Kohl's
Some furniture place
Some makeup place
Godfathers Pizza
GameStop

you must be thinking of the hamilton township in south jersey. there is another hamilton township in north/central jersey.

NJxxJon

QuoteOriginally posted by videogamer75

Best Buy
Target
BJs Wholesale Club
Kohl's
Some furniture place
Some makeup place
Godfathers Pizza
GameStop

you must be thinking of the hamilton township in south jersey. there is another hamilton township in north/central jersey.

Im going to get around to get shots of the one in central.......
JN

Toys4Joy

Caldor in Clifton Park, NY used to have a Caldor rainbow sign on the front of the mall.  It was on the malls structure at the main entrance.  The sign where the entrance was, was no where near the Caldor in the mall.  What is interesting about it is that Caldor's didn't go in until 1984 or 85.  I thought by that time the rainbow was done away with.  That sign was up for a long time until a Boscovs sign replaced it.

videogamer75

Also, the former Caldor in Turnersville, NJ right before the 42 Freeway, is now a burlington coat factory.

XISMZERO

UPDATES:  Vacant Caldor (recently Kmart) in PELHAM MANOR, NY -- gone. It's been redeveloped into a new shopping center.

Also, the one in Woodbury, NJ is said to be gone as well.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

videogamer75

I wish there were pictures of the Electronics section of Caldor, including video games. With almost every closed department store chain, electronics seems to be the one department nobody photographed. :(

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by videogamer75
I wish there were pictures of the Electronics section of Caldor, including video games. With almost every closed department store chain, electronics seems to be the one department nobody photographed. :(

if you look though this thred i think you might find some pictures of it i remember they had alot of neon lighting in that section
Caldor Forever!

videogamer75

Alright. Cool. Electronics sections of stores usually did have a lot of neon lighting.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
mahopac store now kmart. the store appers to have opened like between 1982-1985 and looks remodeled. I came at this place as it was opening at 8 am.

this caldor  RE opened in 1996 after the roof collopsed i wish i could find a story on it
Caldor Forever!

Mobil

I found a Caldor cart at the Linens 'n Things in Downingtown, PA. It is in a very large plaza, which to my knowledge never had a Caldor.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by Mobil
I found a Caldor cart at the Linens 'n Things in Downingtown, PA. It is in a very large plaza, which to my knowledge never had a Caldor.

caldor did have sevrial stores in PA
Caldor Forever!

Mobil

There was a Caldor in Wilmington, DE, which I heard was later an Ames. The store is now a Home Depot and was in a plaza with an A&P, now Dollar Tree.

FearlessSwan

Don't know if it was posted earlier in the thread, but here is the former Caldor in Port Chester, NY, which is now a Kohl's.

Jamesway_princess

The Hamliton location might still be there, if we're lucky. It is/was located off rt. 33/Notthingham Way in a shopping center that had a dollar store, DE Jones & a few other stores. We use to shop at this Caldor's since it was the closest to us. It was a fairly nice, clean store from what I could remember.  
Here's a pic from Live Maps, who knows how out dated it is by now.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=qq53x78s6bcz&style=b&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=3966537&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1