Main Menu

Caldor

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caldor1999

this one is in newark DE and i believe its still vacant jugging by these pictures
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Hddfan135

Does anyone here have a picture of hawley lane mall (In trumbull) in it's caldor age? I go to this mall at times, and want to see how it looked back then. Although I have been there during the caldor age, I can't remember too much about this mall.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by Hddfan135
Does anyone here have a picture of hawley lane mall (In trumbull) in it's caldor age? I go to this mall at times, and want to see how it looked back then. Although I have been there during the caldor age, I can't remember too much about this mall.

I wish I knew. I Went to that mall 2 weeks ago and no remains of the Caldor!!! which Caldors did you see or know of that were never renovated? I went to one in MEthuen 10 years ago that was never renovagted and the inside was dark and orange (my late mother then said that one will never catch up with Bradlees) and had a old logo, not the rainbow one.

Hddfan135

I meant to ask if anyone had any old pictures of the hawley lane mall back when caldor was an anchor.

The caldor in question was turned into a kohls. :exorcist:

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife

I wish I knew. I Went to that mall 2 weeks ago and no remains of the Caldor!!! which Caldors did you see or know of that were never renovated? I went to one in MEthuen 10 years ago that was never renovagted and the inside was dark and orange (my late mother then said that one will never catch up with Bradlees) and had a old logo, not the rainbow one.

ive seen a pic of that caldor before it has the logo they used in the 80's it looked creepy on the outside i can only amagen how it looked inside. the caldor in bedford hills had the rainbow logo and the orange logo before they rentvated it im still going crazy trying to find pics of it
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Hddfan135

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999

ive seen a pic of that caldor before it has the logo they used in the 80's it looked creepy on the outside i can only amagen how it looked inside. the caldor in bedford hills had the rainbow logo and the orange logo before they rentvated it im still going crazy trying to find pics of it

How did it look creepy?

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999

How did it look creepy?

it was just brown and old looking
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

heres the inside of a caldor sore in 1996 i found on filckr
Caldor Forever!

XISMZERO

Update: former Caldor in Groton, CT.

It's apart of the Pfizer Corporation Research Facility. It was Sunday, and there were no guards or security but it was still a tad risky doing this.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

There's a confirmed Caldor label scar still on the building! I've distorted the colors to bring it out a little better.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Colors distorted to bring out the formerly orange lettering. Those make note this looks like the former Caldor at the now gone Fairfield Mall in Chicopee, MA.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Colors distorted to bring out the label scar.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Here's the site. As you can see, there's no way to get in without facing some legal troubles...
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Here's the Caldor in Manchester, Connecticut -- circa 1966. Was one of the first stores in the state. Here's what it looked like per opening. Thanks to the Hartford Courant historic archive (4.12.1966).
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

arnoldziffel

The Caldor in East Patchogue, NY is definately becoming a Lowes.   They are getting ready to do the demo.  There is a sign on the site now that states that Lowes is coming soon.  I haven't seen it, but a friend at work told me the sign went up recently.   I will have to get over there to check it out.

arnoldziffel

so, i was looking on the us patent office website for info on caldor. What i found out is that the word mark is dead. It was cancelled as of 5/2003. Does that mean that it is free for someone to come along and reapply for the trademark and then start using it again? I mean, I don't know anything about this stuff, but I'm thinking it is conceivable that someone could actually open a store and name it Caldor. At least, that's my interpretation of what I saw on the site. It's an interesting thought

arnoldziffel

Let's assume that all the patents and trademarks that were owned by Caldor were available to be used today.   You have the money, and the ability to open a new discount store and build it into a mighty chain of 400+ stores.   Which Caldor logo and slogans would you resurrect and put into use today?  Would you use the Caldor Rainbow or would you go for the red and white logo that caldor screamed into the 90's with?   What slogan would you use?   For me, I'd probably go with "caldor, your everyday discount store."   I actually have a recording of the old caldor song with that slogan in it.  Unfortunately, I have not been able to find it.  But I know it's somewhere in my house.   Does anyone happen to have that online?

arnoldziffel

I am a newly registered member of these forums.  I am a long time reader though.  I finally decided to register and post.  Anyway, as i said in an earlier post, I have a tape of the caldor theme music from the early 90's.  My brother worked there and he copied it from the music on hold or in-store sound system.   I am going to post the 1st verse as I remember it.   i will post what i can remember from the 2nd verse, if anyone knows the rest, please post it.  also  feel free to correct me if i am wrong with any of them

We're working hard at Caldor,
Every day and every way.
much more than your looking for
at caldor every day!  

We give you low-low prices
[i am drawing a blank on the rest of the verse, i knew it, but for some reason it escapes me now]

3rd verse (i think)

then the song ended with the line:

"At caldor, your everyday discount store"

I just realized, I have posted back to back.  Sorry about that.

XISMZERO

CALDOR STORE LOCATOR

http://thecaldorrainbow.blogspot.com/2007/12/caldor-store-locator.html

Now available at my website. I've compiled all the stores in Connecticut, done some research about each/most stores and included some photos from old newspaper clippings. Of course, I had to be gentlemen enough to give Chris a nod.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

arnoldziffel

excellent job on your list.   I keep saying i have to go to patchogue and get a pic of the "coming soon, lowes" sign.  I actually need to verify it's there.   If I get it, I will upload it to my flickr page and send you a copy for you to use if you want.

C. Fontaine

Nice job!!! Hey thanks for the reference :) Us dead retail guys got to stick together, hehe

standa

Thank you for the Caldor store list.  I learned a lot.  Was the furniture mart part of Caldor or a leased department?  I am most familiar with the Hamden, CT Caldor, having gone to it from 1979 to when all the remaning stores closed.  It was interesting that Kohl's was announced as a replacement when the store was still open.  That Caldor had a reddish brick/rainbow/columns design since I started going there up to 1995, when a major remodel was done on the exterior (gray paint, new entrance, red/white sign).  (I heard that it previously looked like the Manchester store in the 1966 photo shown in a earlier post).   However the inside of the store had 4 different looks during that period (rainbow to brownish to different colored walls to white/red/gray).  I never remember a furniture mart there.  When did they close?  The Hamden Caldor also featured a pharmacy (not many Caldors had them) and for a few years a clearance center which was a separate store next door.

I have a correction to make on the store list:  the Branford Wal-Mart was never a Caldor.  Instead, the Branford Caldor was located at the Branhaven Plaza, West Main St., and is now a Kohl's.

XISMZERO

Thanks for the correction. I couldn't find next to anything on the Branford store. I do know there's a plaza across the street from Wal-Mart in Branford that had some supermarket (JM Fields?) that recently burned down.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

arnoldziffel

I took a ride down to Caldor-East Patchogue the other night.  It's Official, there are 2 signs on the corner of the property stating that Lowe's is coming soon.   I took a pic, but it was night, and they didnt come out well.   There is 1 store open in the center currently.  It's a Rite-Aid (formerly Eckerds, formerly Genovese Drug Stores)  The rite aid is having a store closing sale.  So, I would say the demo will probably start in February.    Funny thing, the vision center next to Caldor still has stuff inside.  Racks and maybe some signs.  Hopefully I will have time to take pics before It's wrecked.   Actually, maybe Xismero already took pics of the vision center.    Next to the vision center is where the Pergament Express was for a year or 2.  But before pergament, King Kullen had a store there.    I wonder if lowes will be the single occupant there or if they will have another store in the center.  the parking lot is pretty big, so there is room.

XISMZERO

Lowe's will be taking the entire lot.

When I was there when it was an Eckerd; my brother and I were questioned by the staffers on a smoke break who thought it was odd of me to be taking pictures of the lot. What they didn't realize is that vacant Caldor stores are very rare. I've got two photo sets of the plaza and yes, that eyeglass place is vacant and has probably been there since the 70s (and has the signage to show). I can't believe it's still pending demolition - I was there last December 2006 and thought it only had a few months left.

Additionally, that Caldor was once a Grants (believe it became Caldor in '76 when Grants went belly up and Caldor purchased many of their properties) and the Eckerd was originally a Genovese Drugs (an old, defunct pharmacy chain with stores in the Northeast).
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

arnoldziffel

did it go straight from grants to caldor?  I thought Woolco was after grants but before caldor.  But, that location i am not sure of.  I can ask a friend i know who lives down there.   Also, eckards bought out all the genovese stores.   The property has been graffiti'd up since your pics i think.   I might head down there today.  I have to go christmas shopping, so maybe i will take a few shots.

XISMZERO

Vacant Caldor/Bradlees found in HAMILTON, NJ.

It was used by Bradlees for a year after Caldor closed (hence the red stripes)! It's could be still vacant.

Courtesy Live Maps
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by XISMZERO
Vacant Caldor found in HAMILTON, NJ.

Might've been used for something else afterward but is vacant again.

Courtesy Live Maps

from what i know is that it was always a caldor might have been resued for maby a flea market or something its still vacant too
Caldor Forever!