Main Menu

Caldor

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caldor1999

heres a picture of the caldor in Portchester ny back in 1984 they chaged the logo in the 1990's

from flicker user nackey86
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Zayre88

Well, it's the 10th year anniversary of Caldor's closing...

1999-2009

Marc82

Wow. That long already? Not wanting to look back through 54 pages of postings, can we start posting how long our local Caldor was empty before something else moved in?

Southington, CT - Southington was a Rainbow Style Caldor right up until the end. Walmart opened in April 2000. Walmart is now under-going a massive remodel.

Bristol, CT was empty until October 99 when BIG KMART opened. BIG KMART closed in March 02 (along with the BIG MART in Southington). Both the Bristol Caldor and Southington Big Kmart are now Price Chopper Supermarkets.

New Britain, CT was a Rainbow Style Caldor right up to the end and was empty until 2003? when Walmart moved from a larger location on Slater Road. Walmart will be closing its doors for good on August 31.

gu4ever

The Caldor in Bedford, NH was torn down in 2003 to make way for a Stop & Shop. Part of the original shopping center still stands today. The Home Goods store moved it's entrance and windows from the front "facing the road" to the right  facing Stop & Shop.
This Caldor had the best exterior with huge arches on the front of the building. Those arches once housed the J.M. Fields letters. Caldors spent some money on renovations including moving the main entrance from the left of the arches to directly beneath them with a large windowed lobby.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

jmcnamara96

I went to that store a few times since it was the only one in nh but it was pricey so thats were my family bought dress cloth

Caldor1999

hears the Caldor in Kingston NY back in 1988 from flicker user richie 59
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

XISMZERO

Caldor1999, credit submitted photos that aren't yours please. Everyone deserves props for their images.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

AmesNewington

The former Caldor in Newington, (a newer 90s style Caldor which opened in 1994) given much publicity on this site, is of course now Stew Leonards. It opened in May, 2007. The Caldor was vacant from 1999-2006 until a complete gutting of the store took place to make way for Stew's. SL now shares space with Sleepy's who occupied unused space on the southwest corner of the building earlier this year.

In the same plaza, Newington Fair, which was just about dead two years ago, is now thriving with a new Sam's Club built from the ground up and opened a few weeks ago. LA Fitness opened in the same plaza as well and Toys 'r' Us remains where it has been since 1996. This plaza surely lives up to it's name these days.

The Caldor in Rocky Hill (a rainbow store) became Wal-Mart shortly after Caldor closed. The Caldor in West Hartford/Elmwood (another rainbow store) became Ames very shortly after Caldor closed. Then Ames closed in 2002 and the building sat to deteriorate until it was revitilized in 2008 and became Price Rite that Spring.

Marc82

They sure are. The only reason I didn't mention those 3 with mine is I was too tired to remember them. Once I got some sleep I remember those 3 later on. The one in Avon became Walmart too. The Avon and Rocky Hill Walmarts got remodeled last year.

catsnap1972

Some more history updates

PA Caldor locations

Caldor Store, Fairless Hills, PA -- now Big Lots (from Live Maps)

MD Caldor locations
Caldor Store, (Golden Ring Mall) Baltimore, MD---------now a wal mart/home depot wards still vacant though -- as was said earlier, the entire Golden Ring Mall complex was demolished, and I think even Monkey Wards was demolished

Caldor Store, (Reistertown Road Plaza) Baltimore, MD-----------Possbley still vacant -- became Ames, then National Wholesale Liquidators...not sure what it is now

Caldor Store, Catonsville, MD-----------------------Possbley still vacant -- apparently gone and replaced according to a previous post.  Incidentally, that Caldor was a replacement store for another Caldor (two stories with the rainbow logo) just down the street (that was demolished ages ago and replaced with a Lowes).  This "more recent" store was a Korvettes in a previous life (to my knowledge), and became a Kmart after Caldor went under.  Kmart closed this location due to poor sales, and (I think) a very high incidence of shoplifting.

Caldor Store, Ellicott City, MD-----------------------Now Home Depot -- old Caldor was demolished

DE Caldor Locations
Caldor Store, Newark, DE -----------------------Now A Bj's ... incidentally was originally a Kmart.  They moved out and moved up the road when Bradlee's vacated another building.

Caldor Store (Price's Corner), Wilmington, DE---------------- possibly Kohls .... nope, Walmart.  Kmart was first to take over after Caldor bailed, that store didn't last long.

Caldor Store ((Miller Road Commons), Wilmington, DE---possbley still vacant ... Home Depot now.  Became an Ames and a dollar store after Caldor bailed.

alltheamesyouneed

I was at Building #19 in Haverhill, MA the other day with a friend, just browsing around, and was pleased to be greeted with this: a Caldor shopping cart in the parking lot! Haha. So of course I had to take a photo.

alltheamesyouneed

My friend Matt showed me this video a while ago and I thought it was hilarious. I actually used to live in Northampton, MA, so I recognize a lot of the spots shown in this video, and the little kid's grandmother and uncle are brilliant. This video showcases the family's trip to the Northampton Caldor (now a Wal-Mart) back in the fall of 1990. It's a real gem. Enjoy!

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qOqt3VIASpY&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qOqt3VIASpY&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

videogamer75

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
Location unknown:

There is no doubt in my mind that that is the Turnersville, NJ location. It looks just like it. It's now a Burlington Coat Factory.

davidshawn9

That's already loooonggggg ago... I have pictures of mom at Caldor. :) old pictures. :)

davidshawn9
Simulation prĂȘt  

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by davidshawn9

That's already loooonggggg ago... I have pictures of mom at Caldor. :) old pictures. :)

davidshawn9
Simulation prĂȘt  

you should try and scane them sometime :)
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

hears some weird caldor flyer from 1970 picture takeing by flicker user KaizenVerdant
Caldor Forever!

videogamer75

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
hears some weird caldor flyer from 1970 picture takeing by flicker user KaizenVerdant

LOL, a Caldor barbershop quartet!

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
here is the 110,000 square foot caldor in deer park / babylon new york that opened in early 1995 and is now kohl's

from http://www.siteride.com/srpl/p_snapshot.pl?lm=listing&resbox=1140469195&subNum=50225002649

i knew i saw that pic somewhere this former caldor is right down the street from were my sister lives and it didn't become a kohls its now home to a vacant National Wholesale Liquidators
Caldor Forever!

patk

QuoteOriginally posted by catsnap1972
Caldor Store, Catonsville, MD-----------------------Possbley still vacant -- apparently gone and replaced according to a previous post.  Incidentally, that Caldor was a replacement store for another Caldor (two stories with the rainbow logo) just down the street (that was demolished ages ago and replaced with a Lowes).  This "more recent" store was a Korvettes in a previous life (to my knowledge), and became a Kmart after Caldor went under.  Kmart closed this location due to poor sales, and (I think) a very high incidence of shoplifting.
my grandma is nere there!
i will look for it :yup: wat pg is that post on

Caldor1999

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mg-RdshsW0o&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mg-RdshsW0o&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

hears one of the last vacant caldor in ny
Caldor Forever!

jmcnamara96

Does any one no why they had black carts? there colors were red? and has any one got a ring the bell sign from a store did you Caldor1999

gu4ever

QuoteOriginally posted by jmcnamara96
Does any one no why they had black carts? there colors were red? and has any one got a ring the bell sign from a store did you Caldor1999
Caldor colors were red, grey, black and white. Although the black was mainly in the carts and baskets.... The Bedford, NH store was renovated in the 90's with those colors.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by jmcnamara96

i tried it was nailed into the wall and was hard to get off and the sign wasnt made out of plastic thats why it was easyer for me to get the bradlees one anyway

heres a pic of an unkown caldor location i found on http://www.walletpop.com/specials/places-we-miss-most

i dont know why they had to go out they were such a nice discount store they always had everything the set up was nice and not crappy like wal mart the stores were a lot cleaner and always had what you wanted
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

heres a picture of the Framingham, MA location taking by  by douglas blois when it was still vacant
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

a close up of the bored up entrance saldy this location became a wal mart
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

heres an unknown and unusual design for Caldor  
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

the inside of an unknown location notice the rainbows under the checkout lines
Caldor Forever!