Bradlees

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
what is now bradlees in meriden CT that closed in 1996  and was on the line of wallingford and 87,000 sq.ft. and opened 1986, 1987 or 1989.

meriden

d_fife

what is now bradlees in hamden ct in the hamden mart and about 90,000 sq.ft. and opened 1975. notice alot of places in CT there was a stop and shop in the same plaza as bradlees and they were owned by the same company from 1961 to 1992, it was that way in mass too but more so in CT. both bradlees in waterbury ct, manchester ct, middletown Ct, Bristol CT, hamden CT (The stop and shop there became Toys r us), east haven Ct (stop and shop there in the 80s became toys r us), new milford ct, groton ct, fairfield CT, stratford, danbury ct (in the 80s stop and shop moved down road, became marshalls) and probably in more places; in Mass in west springfield, springfield, roslindale/ Boston, hyannis, dennisport (stop and shop closed then, became A&P), orleans, fall river (Stop and shop moved), somerset, taunton (They moved diff places), westborough (they both moved out of that plaza), pittsfield (stop and shop moved in the 80s), milford mass (it seems thje joann fabrifcs was stop and shop which moved in the 80s) and probably in more places.

this pic is what is now the bradlees in hamden ct (Wal-mart replaced many bradlees)

d_fife

what was probably the former bradlees in middletown CT that opened in 1968, as they had an older location.

d_fife

what was probably the former bradlees in middletown CT that opened in 1968, as they had an older location.

more of what was probably the former middletown one

XISMZERO

All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

The post above can be deleted, the boards are acting screwy (not showing me logged in and such). Anyway, I've returned from a much delayed trip to the still vacant Stratford store.

I'll thank Caldor1999 for continually pressuring me to go take photos of this store. As you can see, it looks the same from when he visited it.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Bradlees / Stratford, Connecticut. Signage is in very good order.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Bradlees / Stratford, Connecticut.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Bradlees / Stratford, Connecticut. Front doors, partially boarded.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

QuoteOriginally posted by XISMZERO
Bradlees / Stratford, Connecticut. Front doors, partially boarded.
(Attachment was too big!)
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Bradlees / Stratford, Connecticut. "Welcome" decals on a few of the doors.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

You can view the rest on my Yahoo Photos page since some are too big-sized to post here. This Bradlees is located right over the bridge from Milford to Stratford on US-1and is in a plaza called "The Dock" which consists of anchors Staples, Jo-Ann Fabrics, Petco, and Stop & Shop located in the back. Bradlees is still a vacant, former anchor as well as another store which wasn't able to be identified.

This Bradlees was actually one of the most different stores I've ever visited. Aside from being a renovated store, it featured a really cozy looking side-entrance which revealed the store's older age. The insides were unfortunately gutted but the electricals still worked. Oddly enough, there were no realtor posters but I've heard that this building might be used for storage. It seems like it would be a good location for something but there's a giant Wal-Mart right down the street. Stop & Shop would be wise to move into the former Bradlees space...

Also note the wonderful surrounding area where you can see I-95 and the harbor of New Haven and Fairfield counties. I enjoyed this photo shoot simply because no one hassled me even though there were some people around the Jo-Ann Fabric area (near the really cool side entrance). When I left the plaza, I forgot to check in back for receiving signs and I also caught plaza security who probably didn't see me taking photos :)

This is one of the few Bradlees left in Connecticut as well as the newest stores which received renovations in an attempt to revitalize the chain unlike most Bradlees stores. If I were to guess, this is probably one of the only stores left to show what a renovated store looked like.

Enjoy!

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/xismzero/album?.dir=603fre2&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Caldor1999

hey glad to see u went there its kida satred to fall apart it looks but great pictures
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

d_fife

what is now in the old bradlees in whitehall (allentown) pa that is 87,000 sq.ft. and closed in a 1998 round. shame on bradlees for being unable to make it on this kind of a retail shopping area.

d_fife

what is now in the old 87,000 sq.ft. bradlees in bethlehem pa and it opened in 1987 and stayed till the end

d_fife

what is now in the old 87,000 sq.ft. bradlees in bethlehem pa and it opened in 1987 and stayed till the end

bethlehem

d_fife

east norristown pa (east norriton) bradlees what it is now and bradlees entered pa it seems in like 1985 and this one was 105,000 sq.ft.

Marc82

In the 1960s and 1970s there was a shopping plaza on Slater Road in New Britain, Connecticut. Among the stores that were there were Bradlees and Shoprite. I have no idea when they closed. And I believe a woman was mugged amd raped outside that Bradlees. :barf: There's now only one building on the site. Over the recent years it was Price Club, a distribution center for Nestle Chocolate, and from 1997 until 2001 a Walmart. Today it is some kind of coporate training center for Webster Bank.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc82
In the 1960s and 1970s there was a shopping plaza on Slater Road in New Britain, Connecticut. Among the stores that were there were Bradlees and Shoprite. I have no idea when they closed. And I believe a woman was mugged amd raped outside that Bradlees. :barf: There's now only one building on the site. Over the recent years it was Price Club, a distribution center for Nestle Chocolate, and from 1997 until 2001 a Walmart. Today it is some kind of coporate training center for Webster Bank.

what was this bradlees like? and when did it close? I bet it was bad as I found new britian to be run down and bad drivers. I heard there was one in elmsford ny is that true?

AmesNewington

That New Britain Walmart was the first Walmart I ever went too. It was said to have been a bad street. It didn't seem too bad when Wal-Mart was there. I liked that Wal-Mart the best. I think that was only a rent building anyways. They had a very small garden center.

Marc82

D-Life: Back in the 60s and 70s and even part of the 80s New Britain wasn't that bad.

AmesNewinton - I liked that Walmart too. My family used to go there often as at the time it was the closest one to Bristol. My mom didn't like shopping there because she couldn't stand the fact that you could rarely understand the people who were speaking over the intercom. A lot of their employees had very heavy Hispanic accents.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc82
D-Life: Back in the 60s and 70s and even part of the 80s New Britain wasn't that bad.

AmesNewinton - I liked that Walmart too. My family used to go there often as at the time it was the closest one to Bristol. My mom didn't like shopping there because she couldn't stand the fact that you could rarely understand the people who were speaking over the intercom. A lot of their employees had very heavy Hispanic accents.

was bradlees in new britain big? i bet it was like the one in hartford.

I heard ones in swampscott mass and west hartford ct existed at one time as did ones deeper in VA and NC and Maryland and delware until sold in 1988.

BillyGr

Just noticed this Sunday - The Bradlees in Pittsfield MA is being re-done - the front is off of part of the building.

Listed Bed Bath & Beyond as coming soon, not sure what else.

Sorry, no photo (no camera with me).

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by BillyGr
Just noticed this Sunday - The Bradlees in Pittsfield MA is being re-done - the front is off of part of the building.

Listed Bed Bath & Beyond as coming soon, not sure what else.

Sorry, no photo (no camera with me).

Dick's sporting goods I heard. PLEASE GET US A PICTURE!!! I DO not have any plans in coming that way for the rest of the year.

Caldor1999

eh idk im kida glad bradlees was gone they seem to be teh discount store that was just there they didnet stand out liek caldor or ames did sure they had good adds and such but they ddinet really hav a good image they never keped tehre stores up to date they had stores in locations that went so good hears an example of one this is what momst bradlees near me use to look lie laot of them clsoed in 1996 this is the new city location it opend in the 60's and hasent chanegd that much since then this is what more of tehre stores looked like some of which were renvated btu not alot of them were
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

coolbabes

Is anyone near Seaside Heights, NJ? Someone said they saw a Bradlees there last weekend, I didn't get too much information even though they wote "Nice to see they still exist somewhere" but if anyone can post pictures, please do.  I would check it out but it's a long drive from Boston.

Marc82

Isn't it nice that Bradlees signed a new 3 year contract with the union for their 17 Connecticut Stores shortly before they announced they were gonna shut down the stores. They claimed they had no idea the company was gonna go under.

From the Bristol Press December 1, 2000:

http://bristolpress.com/site/index.cfm?newsid=1132928&BRD=1643&PAG=461&dept_id=10486&rfi=8

XISMZERO

Nothing entirely new but just some pictures of the former Bradlees over by the Manchester Parkade taken on July 30, 2006. The plaza was certainly more overgrown then when I last visited in March.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Bradlees / Manchester, Connecticut. The plaza's gravel is so unstable I decided to park across the street at the relocated Stop & Shop.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

This plaza was even more trashed than I remember it. It's a complete eyesore to an otherwise active area of Manchester.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr