Stop & Shop

Started by AmesNewington, April 02, 2005, 12:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

standa

I noticed on the Atlantic Retail website that Stop & Shop has a surplus property of 68,000 square feet at the Indian Brook Commons in Dover/Somersworth, NH.  Did Stop & Shop ever have a store open there? Or did it build a store and not occupy it (like in Rutland, VT)?

Great Eastern

Nice to see Stop & Shop's popping up all around.  The one in Lodi , NJ just put in a Staples express late last year.

Who knows, maybe in a few years down the road you will see them revive Bradlees & Medi-Mart for ole time sake LOL.  Highly doubtful but it is a nice thought.

We need freedom of choice again like back in the 1970's

standa

What do you think of the new Stop & Shop logo?  I am amazed how different it looks from the old one.  It seems refreshing.

logo from mvi

NJxxJon

QuoteOriginally posted by standa
What do you think of the new Stop & Shop logo?  I am amazed how different it looks from the old one.  It seems refreshing.

logo from mvi

WTF! What the hells going on with everyone going to retro logos.....its a good thing and all but DAMN!
JN

Marc82

New Logo? Well I guess that's why the last time I was at the Forestville, CT location the brown bags were all blank and the plastic bags just had instructions about recycling the bags on them

XISMZERO

When I came back from Florida last week, I took a trip down to Stop & Shop and was taken by surprise about the new logo. As you may know, there are no S&S down that far south.

Oddly enough, the "fruits" design hasn't made the change on the website yet but I found this graphic of another concept logo/look the chain might be implementing on 2008+ and remodeled stores.

Looks like Stop & Shop is really trying to drop the "Super" and move towards the sun -- like Walmart!
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

CTAmeshopper

logo from mvi

Um, yeesh, WTF is that supposed to be? the older one at least made SENSE this looks like they, took the same shape and repeated it over and over, I'm not impressed is it supposed to be a fruit basket? if it is it's bad at it, I've also heard their replacing Dunkin Donuts with Starbucks, geez they were good at they were doing now they decide to go 180 degrees in a bad attempt to be contemporary, and "fresh" blegh.

ok, maybe I'm guessing but seems to be vaguely alluding the shopping basket in the old old stop and shop logo from around 40 years ago.

okay now I'm seeing wheels with the O's, I doubt this placement is accidental. :bigsmile:

the following image was put together by me, using the image posted here fron mvi and cropping an image from Dave from the  http://pleasantfamilyshopping.blogspot.com/ blog that I saved into my pictures myself, I cropped it down and brightened so far  that it doesn't look like the original, this is meant for comparison only, nothing else.

If he minds I will take it down, however I doubt this counts as copying the exact image and posting it and claiming as my own, that is not my objective.

videogamer75

What's the difference between a regular Stop & Shop and a Super Stop & Shop?

Crawford

QuoteOriginally posted by videogamer75

Ahhh, my young padawan, you have much to learn in the ways of vintage stores.

Seriously though, the answer is pretty simple. At one time, most if not all supermarkets were small. You went there for bread and milk and that was it. Stop and Shop (at least here in Rhode Island) changed all that. The first Super Stop and Shop was in Warwick. It was different from everything else. The store were 2-3 times larger than what was around, carryed more products, actually had  book departments (no paperback carousel and rack of magazines at checkout), expanded grocery, deli, bakery areas. Most had pharmacies inside as well as video rentals (not red boxes), actual floor space and employees dedicated to it. At the time they were considered massive. Stop and Shop closed all their smaller stores and concentrated on the mega ones. Of course this drove out the small chains of Star Market and Almacs. Only Shaw's managed to hang on by have the cash to build similar sized markets. Of course now Super Stop and Shop is building even larger markets that make the old Super ones look tiny in comparison. Personally I miss the smaller markets where you could run in, find what you needed and leave in a matter of seconds.

On another note, my receipt from Stop and Shop had the new logo on it, there is also some giveaway going on, the cards also have the new logo. No word yet if the actually signage is going to change.
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor

NJxxJon

QuoteOriginally posted by Crawford

Seriously though, the asnwer is pretty simple. At one time, most if not all supermarkets were small. You went there for bread and milk and that was it. Stop and Shop (at least here iin Rhode Island) changed all that. The first Super Stop and Shop was in Warwick. It was different from everything else. The store were 2-3 times largeer than what was around, carryed more products, actually had  book departments (no paperback carousel and rack of magazines at checkout), expanded grocery, deli, bakery areas. Most had pharmacies inside as well as video rentals (not red boxes), actually floor space and employees dedicated to it. At the time they were considered massive. Stop and Shop closed all their smaller stores and concentrated on the mega ones. Of course this drove out the small chains of Star Market and Almacs. Only Shaw's managed to hang on by have the cash to build similar sized markets. Of course now Super Stop and Shop is building even larger markets that make the old Super ones look tiny in comparison. Personally I miss the smaller markets where you could run in, find what you needed and leave in a matter of seconds.

On another note, my receipt from Stop and Shop had the new logo on it, there is also some giveaway going on, the cards also have the new logo. No word yet if the actually sinage is going to change.

New logos and cards mean NOTHING. haha. I like all the price checkers in grocery stores nowa....daze. I can't find any on ebay lol.
JN

videogamer75

QuoteOriginally posted by Crawford

Seriously though, the answer is pretty simple. At one time, most if not all supermarkets were small. You went there for bread and milk and that was it. Stop and Shop (at least here in Rhode Island) changed all that. The first Super Stop and Shop was in Warwick. It was different from everything else. The store were 2-3 times larger than what was around, carryed more products, actually had  book departments (no paperback carousel and rack of magazines at checkout), expanded grocery, deli, bakery areas. Most had pharmacies inside as well as video rentals (not red boxes), actual floor space and employees dedicated to it. At the time they were considered massive. Stop and Shop closed all their smaller stores and concentrated on the mega ones. Of course this drove out the small chains of Star Market and Almacs. Only Shaw's managed to hang on by have the cash to build similar sized markets. Of course now Super Stop and Shop is building even larger markets that make the old Super ones look tiny in comparison. Personally I miss the smaller markets where you could run in, find what you needed and leave in a matter of seconds.

On another note, my receipt from Stop and Shop had the new logo on it, there is also some giveaway going on, the cards also have the new logo. No word yet if the actually signage is going to change.

ok, thanks. I do not live in an area with stop & shops and I have never been in one in my life. which is why i don't know much about it.

XISMZERO

ok, thanks. I do not live in an area with stop & shops and I have never been in one in my life. which is why i don't know much about it.

The company has been trying to escape the "Super" prefix now for awhile and go back to simply "Stop & Shop". It's not unusual for companies to retrofit and go simple and contemporary by design. As far as I know, "Super" Stop & Shop models started in the early 80's.

As for the new logo, it's in full force: on the receipts, labels, decals in store windows and in commercials and ads. I'm awaiting the sight of the logo on a newly built or remodeled store... I'll keep my eyes open for it.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by XISMZERO

The company has been trying to escape the "Super" prefix now for awhile and go back to simply "Stop & Shop". It's not unusual for companies to retrofit and go simple and contemporary by design. As far as I know, "Super" Stop & Shop models started in the early 80's.

As for the new logo, it's in full force: on the receipts, labels, decals in store windows and in commercials and ads. I'm awaiting the sight of the logo on a newly built or remodeled store... I'll keep my eyes open for it.

thats so odd because when i worked for them from what i was told they were trying to phaseout the regualer stop and shops so they can focause more on makeing there stores with the super compact
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

CTAmeshopper

This logo is also going to be employed on Giant stores as well.

http://www.giantfood.com/

You can still spot  vestiges of the old traffic light logo if you use your imagination enough.:bounce::insane:

Joeg

I work for S&S and the reason we are doing this is to bring our company into the 21st century.  We are getting new shirts and the most of our store will be "refreshed" with some new departments in some stores(i.e butcher shops).

I think we should have kept the old logos, and spent the money in lower our prices even more!!

But what do I know?  ha ha!!

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by Joeg
I work for S&S and the reason we are doing this is to bring our company into the 21st century.  We are getting new shirts and the most of our store will be "refreshed" with some new departments in some stores(i.e butcher shops).

I think we should have kept the old logos, and spent the money in lower our prices even more!!

But what do I know?  ha ha!!

one thing i liked about working there is that they let you were blue jeans i hope they still keep that also when it comes to prices there not that bad its alot cheaper to shop there then to shop at A&P or shoprite from what i nodiced
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

arnoldziffel

they recently opened a new one by me.  it was a totally new store, not a reno.  they put the super stop and shop name on it.  it's open maybe 2 months now.

Joeg

What town is your stop and shop in?? when did it open??

AmesNewington

Does anyone know if the new Unionville CT location will incorporate the brand new design? Is the store even close to completion? Also, do you think the company will be planning renovations to exteriors of existing locations in order to show off the new logo?

Joeg

I don't know if they have even started yet.  Yes they will incorporate any new logo/designs/new departments in this store if they every build it.

Most stores will be "refreshed" with the new logo etc etc.

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by Joeg
I don't know if they have even started yet.  Yes they will incorporate any new logo/designs/new departments in this store if they every build it.

Most stores will be "refreshed" with the new logo etc etc.

Dude it's gonna open in October.

Joeg

Thanks Dude!

standa

I went recently to the Milford, CT Stop & Shop (near the CT Post Mall).  I hadn't been there in about 10 years (when it first opened).  I noticed that the Buffet Today (cafeteria like restaurant) was gone and replaced by the natural food department.  The outside of the store had the same late 90s Stop & Shop look it had when built.  However the inside of the store was completely remodeled and had the recent Stop & Shop look.   Now with the new logo, I wonder if another inside look will be instituted.  I think the recent look has a lot of yellow, so it would fit in also with the new logo.

Here's  a photo of the store from vision appraisal

Mobil

In 2007, I went to Ocean City, Maryland. There were convenience stores at various gas stations under the Stop & Shop name. The logo was exactly the same as the Stop & Shop we know. It would seem the only stores in Maryland Stop & Shop would have any connection to are Giant and possibly Bradlees. :huh::holysh:

powersbt

QuoteOriginally posted by Mobil
In 2007, I went to Ocean City, Maryland. There were convenience stores at various gas stations under the Stop & Shop name. The logo was exactly the same as the Stop & Shop we know. It would seem the only stores in Maryland Stop & Shop would have any connection to are Giant and possibly Bradlees. :huh::holysh:

Now that you mention it, I almost think I remember a Convenience Store up in NY that had the name Stop and Shop. As far as I know, it was no relation or ever was to the Supermarket Chain.

Mobil

QuoteOriginally posted by powersbt
QuoteOriginally posted by Mobil

Now that you mention it, I almost think I remember a Convenience Store up in NY that had the name Stop and Shop. As far as I know, it was no relation or ever was to the Supermarket Chain.

The logo was exactly the same.

Marc82

NEWTOWN, CONNECTICUT S&S already has the new logo on the building and on the road sign as well. Was there last week when I was visiting a friend. Didn't take any pix because I didn't take my camera because I didn't know we were going there. Oh yeah and that one closes at 10PM. All the ones in my area Farmington Ave in Bristol, Pine Street in Bristol, and North Main in Southington all close at Midnite.

standa

I read that the Unionville, CT Stop & Shop will open tomorrow.  If anyone will go to it, I would be happy to see photos of its outside and inside, if possible.  Thank you.

Marc82

Here's the one in the "CorWest" Shopping Center in New Britain, CT. It's on the corner of Corbin Avenue and West Main Street hence the name "CorWest" Shopping Center. Plaza and adjacent Sting Night Club was completely torn down and rebuilt a few years ago to make room for the new Super Stop & Shop. It's been open for several years. It replaced a much smaller store on Columbus Blvd.

Picture taken 10/21/08.

Marc82

The other part of the New Britain Super Stop & Shop. Taken 10/21/08.