Toys R Us to close all remaining US stores*

Started by retailisking, March 08, 2018, 04:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bdubs

Going out of business signs are up, as of this morning at Waterford CT location.

JJBers

Quote from: Bdubs on March 23, 2018, 09:04:47 PM
Going out of business signs are up, as of this morning at Waterford CT location.
Well, just missed that by a week.
"Toys R Us Waterford, CT"
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

danfifepsu

I was at the SAles yesterday in Concord and Manchester. Discounts only at 10 percent off

BillyGr

Quote from: danfifepsu on March 24, 2018, 11:40:11 AM
I was at the SAles yesterday in Concord and Manchester. Discounts only at 10 percent off

You must have missed the item that was 30% off (since the sign says 10-30% there must be something for it to be true...) ;)

danfifepsu

Quote from: BillyGr on March 24, 2018, 01:28:05 PM

You must have missed the item that was 30% off (since the sign says 10-30% there must be something for it to be true...) ;)

it was mostly 10 percent off. Thy said stores are to close end of June.

danfifepsu

Quote from: danfifepsu on March 24, 2018, 01:43:44 PM

SOMEBODY NEEDS TO bring this chain back from the dead or fill in the void for Toys r us. its like the north pole shutting down and no Christmas.

JJBers

Quote from: danfifepsu on March 26, 2018, 09:12:26 AM

SOMEBODY NEEDS TO bring this chain back from the dead or fill in the void for Toys r us. its like the north pole shutting down and no Christmas.
Maybe Amazon will become the new Toys R Us in the toy department. (Online of a course)
My Flickr

danfifepsu

Quote from: JJBers on March 26, 2018, 10:45:41 AM
Quote from: danfifepsu on March 26, 2018, 09:12:26 AM

Maybe Amazon will become the new Toys R Us in the toy department. (Online of a course)

here is STILL A NEED for a physical Toy store!

Toy makers are also said to be hurting following their demise. AS Far as I Am concerned DAve Brandon is the GRINCH. he failed to SAVE IT. Christmas SAles were 250 million BELOW Worst case projections and how much they made last Christmas was half they made in a year.

MikeinBuffalo

Here's something interesting. In the early 2000s, Tops and Toys R Us partnered up for a "store within a store" promotion where Toys R Us had a few aisles in select Tops stores. I didn't know a lot of supermarkets did this.

See the attached newspaper scan.
Bed Bath and Beyond grunt.
N.Y. Ames Pilgrimages completed: Medina #69, Alden #78, Collins #79, Tonawanda #251, Blasdell #1066, South Cheektowaga #1077 (RIP), Cheektowaga/Depew #1079, Buffalo #1109, Buffalo #1206 (RIP)
Dead Retail of Buffalo on my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/141912098@N03/albums

danfifepsu

Quote from: MikeinBuffalo on March 29, 2018, 02:41:36 PM
Here's something interesting. In the early 2000s, Tops and Toys R Us partnered up for a "store within a store" promotion where Toys R Us had a few aisles in select Tops stores. I didn't know a lot of supermarkets did this.

See the attached newspaper scan.
can't some toys r us be saved?

BillyGr

That was during the time that Ahold owned the chain, and I think they did the same in some of their other stores/chains also, as well as having one of the office stores partnered for that type of items.

JJBers

Quote from: BillyGr on March 29, 2018, 03:56:00 PM

That was during the time that Ahold owned the chain, and I think they did the same in some of their other stores/chains also, as well as having one of the office stores partnered for that type of items.
I'm curious if they did that with the Stop and Shop in Willimantic or other areas around since there was no nearby Toys "R" Us.
My Flickr

standa

Quote from: JJBers on March 29, 2018, 04:30:38 PM
Quote from: BillyGr on March 29, 2018, 03:56:00 PM

I'm curious if they did that with the Stop and Shop in Willimantic or other areas around since there was no nearby Toys "R" Us.

I don't remember Stop & Shop partnering with Toys R Us in my area. However, I do remember Barnes & Noble book aisles and Staples stationary sections.

danfifepsu

What of packaging 200 stores w Canada like they said?

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Quote from: danfifepsu on March 29, 2018, 06:33:16 PM
You won't get any answers from us if you keep asking us...

danfifepsu

Quote from: ShopKoFan on March 30, 2018, 12:16:55 AM
Quote from: danfifepsu on March 29, 2018, 06:33:16 PM
You won't get any answers from us if you keep asking us...

I just hope it happens

giantsfan2016

Consumer Advocate Clark Howard reports that ONLINE SHOPPING for Toys "R" Us has been discontinued. Also baby items such as diapers, wipes, and formula are not on GOB Clearance. Further discounts of products would be made in about 1 month.

JJBers

Quote from: Brammy on March 30, 2018, 11:47:07 AM
Consumer Advocate Clark Howard reports that ONLINE SHOPPING for Toys "R" Us has been discontinued. Also baby items such as diapers, wipes, and formula are not on GOB Clearance. Further discounts of products would be made in about 1 month.
Wow, maybe I'll get a good deal on Mario Odyssey during the sales. I'll maybe be there on Easter Sunday.
My Flickr

danfifepsu

Quote from: JJBers on March 30, 2018, 12:44:05 PM
Quote from: Brammy on March 30, 2018, 11:47:07 AM
Wow, maybe I'll get a good deal on Mario Odyssey during the sales. I'll maybe be there on Easter Sunday.

OK my hope is someone buys the brand and some properties of Toys r us and bring it back from the dead!!!

OK I am just mad it was not amazon it was management misteps and how they did not addrress the 5 billion in debt until it bit them in the a--- and didnt think of those "play labs" till it was TOO LATE. It reaches a pt where its too late

if they are to be brought back from the dead 2 things: watch their prices and add play areas (Which will then increase sales).

danfifepsu

Why was Toys r us' business model called outdated?

danfifepsu

OK Concords store told me they are staying at 10 percent as "They may get bought out". Whats she mean? And all of them are at mostly 10 percent off.

esw01407

Quote from: danfifepsu on April 07, 2018, 09:12:37 PM
OK Concords store told me they are staying at 10 percent as "They may get bought out". Whats she mean? And all of them are at mostly 10 percent off.

I do not know if the auctions have occurred for property and stores. Many companies are interested in the companies assets including buildings. We also do not know if the Canadian buyer interested in stores has acted yet.

danfifepsu

Quote from: esw01407 on April 08, 2018, 04:16:30 PM
Quote from: danfifepsu on April 07, 2018, 09:12:37 PM

I do not know if the auctions have occurred for property and stores. Many companies are interested in the companies assets including buildings. We also do not know if the Canadian buyer interested in stores has acted yet.

what? What is going on? Also them closing all the Toys r us is as bad as the Burgermeister setting the kids toys on fire.

MikeinBuffalo

If anyone has any leftover Toys R Us or Babies R Us gift cards, you can exchange them at Bed Bath and Beyond for a Buy Buy Baby card. We are trying to take advantage of TRU's failure.
Bed Bath and Beyond grunt.
N.Y. Ames Pilgrimages completed: Medina #69, Alden #78, Collins #79, Tonawanda #251, Blasdell #1066, South Cheektowaga #1077 (RIP), Cheektowaga/Depew #1079, Buffalo #1109, Buffalo #1206 (RIP)
Dead Retail of Buffalo on my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/141912098@N03/albums

giantsfan2016

Quote from: MikeinBuffalo on April 08, 2018, 09:33:46 PM
If anyone has any leftover Toys R Us or Babies R Us gift cards, you can exchange them at Bed Bath and Beyond for a Buy Buy Baby card. We are trying to take advantage of TRU's failure.

Ha Ha. I saw this story on the Facebook Page of our local statewide newspaper The Hartford Courant. Some woman commented that it's a scam because BBB isn't giving full-value for the gift cards. I responded "Why should BBB give full-value for the gift cards?" And she replied that I was an idiot.

danfifepsu

Quote from: Brammy on April 09, 2018, 06:55:07 AM

Ha Ha. I saw this story on the Facebook Page of our local statewide newspaper The Hartford Courant. Some woman commented that it's a scam because BBB isn't giving full-value for the gift cards. I responded "Why should BBB give full-value for the gift cards?" And she replied that I was an idiot.

What could Toys r us have done to survive bankruptcy?

JJBers

Quote from: danfifepsu on April 09, 2018, 03:22:20 PM

A lot...
My Flickr

danfifepsu

Quote from: JJBers on April 09, 2018, 04:00:49 PM
Quote from: danfifepsu on April 09, 2018, 03:22:20 PM

A lot...

like what? This collapse was sudden I feel too. I felt if it was to happen it would have happened late First Quarter 2019.

danfifepsu

http://www.businessinsider.com/kmart-store-photos-details-2018-3 I HOPE IT WORKS. IF IT DOES, I hope they can keep the prices DOWN and add play areas (And something MORE CREATIVE than kids playing with the latest toys, I have a few friends that Play Lab Thing feel iss just a gimmick)

giantsfan2016

Just go away. No one here gives a s h i t about your nonsensical incoherent ramblings.