Toys R Us to close all remaining US stores*

Started by retailisking, March 08, 2018, 04:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XISMZERO

Forbes contributor adding to the clickbaity-ness with this headline: "Farewell Toys R Us, We Will Miss You" https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradthomas/2018/03/12/farewell-toys-r-us-we-will-miss-you/

Ugh. For shame...

We are still in "wait and see" mode as I write this article, with respect to how Toys R Us will proceed with liquidating its assets. But I can’t help but think through logical replacements for those 800 stores. Dick’s Sporting Goods? Not really growing. Lidl? Likely too big, plus their growth plans have stalled. H&M? Not so sure about a shopping center. Nordstrom Rack? Might not be in the right market.

So basically, nothing new to report since last week's announcement.

In the midst of it, Toys R Us Twitter feed has been silent since the announcement on March 9th.

Of all the apocalypse reports out there, still, nobody knows yet.

All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Amesguy2000

Yea I've been waiting all day because im "In on the middle of a tightrope but wondering if i wanna stay on or fall off" meaning im just waiting to see if itll happen or not... the announcements supposed to apparently come today or tomarrow

BillyGr

Quote from: Brammy on March 12, 2018, 07:40:23 AM
There was a story at the top of the 8AM hour this morning on Good Morning America that said the Liquidation Sale could begin as soon as this week. And besides the usual suspects of of Walmart, Target, and Amazon benefiting from the demise of Toys R Us, expect Kohl's, JC Penney, and Party City to benefit from the demise of Toys R Us as well. Kohl's and JC Penney recently expanded their toy departments. As for Party City I think they mentioned them since TRU sells some party supplies.

They do (which makes sense if someone is shopping for gifts for a birthday they can pick up those items for the party without making another stop). 
In fact, probably the only reason I've actually been in one lately (not needing toys) was after the holiday season to see what stuff they had marked down in things like wrapping and other holiday related items.

danfifepsu

Quote from: BillyGr on March 12, 2018, 02:00:03 PM
Quote from: Brammy on March 12, 2018, 07:40:23 AM
There was a story at the top of the 8AM hour this morning on Good Morning America that said the Liquidation Sale could begin as soon as this week. And besides the usual suspects of of Walmart, Target, and Amazon benefiting from the demise of Toys R Us, expect Kohl's, JC Penney, and Party City to benefit from the demise of Toys R Us as well. Kohl's and JC Penney recently expanded their toy departments. As for Party City I think they mentioned them since TRU sells some party supplies.

They do (which makes sense if someone is shopping for gifts for a birthday they can pick up those items for the party without making another stop). 
In fact, probably the only reason I've actually been in one lately (not needing toys) was after the holiday season to see what stuff they had marked down in things like wrapping and other holiday related items.

NO NEWS so far.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Other retailers that could benefit could include closeout/bargain/overstock retailers like Big Lots and Ollie's Bargain Outlet. A lot of TRU's unsold merchandise has to go somewhere...

busman_49

Quote from: danfifepsu on March 13, 2018, 07:01:32 AM
still no news

I THINK I caught, in passing, something on the book of faces that Thursday might be the meeting or whatever that TRU is supposed to have.

danfifepsu

Quote from: busman_49 on March 13, 2018, 08:56:48 AM
Quote from: danfifepsu on March 13, 2018, 07:01:32 AM
still no news

I THINK I caught, in passing, something on the book of faces that Thursday might be the meeting or whatever that TRU is supposed to have.

WHAT???

giantsfan2016

We'll see what happens. One of the guys who runs the Dead and Dying Retail Facebook Page did a Facebook Live yesterday stating that there are a lot of false stories about Toys R Us out there and for the moment things remain business as usual at Toys R Us.

danfifepsu

Quote from: Brammy on March 14, 2018, 05:32:15 AM
We'll see what happens. One of the guys who runs the Dead and Dying Retail Facebook Page did a Facebook Live yesterday stating that there are a lot of false stories about Toys R Us out there and for the moment things remain business as usual at Toys R Us.
what month will they all close?

JJBers

Quote from: danfifepsu on March 14, 2018, 08:05:19 AM
It'll probably be a couple of months for all the stores to close.
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

danfifepsu

Quote from: JJBers on March 14, 2018, 08:22:05 AM
Quote from: danfifepsu on March 14, 2018, 08:05:19 AM
It'll probably be a couple of months for all the stores to close.

I am going to Reno NV May 30 and hope they will be left then. There is one there but I am going to see the city. my birthday is on FRIDAY And sucks how this news is at this time.

XISMZERO

Here's the latest news:

Now, survival of the fittest...

Toys "R" Us looking to keep only 200 of the most profitable or so stores open. If this comes to pass, we might get a good idea on why some of those old-school ones (Montgomery, Clay, Boardman, St. Clairsville and Horseheads) have lasted so long as brown-roofed stores.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/14/toys-r-us-is-exploring-a-plan-that-could-keep-200-stores-open-even-after-liquidation.html
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

danfifepsu

Quote from: XISMZERO on March 14, 2018, 02:45:56 PM
Here's the latest news:

Toys "R" Us looking to keep only 200 of the most profitable or so stores open. If this comes to pass, we might get a good idea on why some of those old-school ones (Montgomery, Clay, Boardman, St. Clairsville and Horseheads) have lasted so long as brown-roofed stores.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/14/toys-r-us-is-exploring-a-plan-that-could-keep-200-stores-open-even-after-liquidation.html

what will that mean of Portland maine?

I feel if any in NH go its CONCORD.

BUT, old school ones doesnt mean it will close.

I feel ones at risk of closing are in trade areas of 150,000 people or less, or in areas of many or in dying shopping areas (like Swansea Mass).

JJBers

Quote from: danfifepsu on March 14, 2018, 03:24:04 PM
Here's the latest news:

I feel ones at risk of closing are in trade areas of 150,000 people or less, or in areas of many or in dying shopping areas (like Swansea Mass).
We can knock off Waterford of the open list if that comes through.
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

danfifepsu

Quote from: JJBers on March 14, 2018, 03:50:00 PM
Quote from: danfifepsu on March 14, 2018, 03:24:04 PM
Here's the latest news:

We can knock off Waterford of the open list if that comes through.

the market of Waterford has 250,000 people or more.

patk

retailisking

Quote from: danfifepsu on March 14, 2018, 09:40:41 PM
Quote from: retailisking on March 14, 2018, 04:48:59 PM
This just in - Toys R Us to close all remaining US stores
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/business/wp/2018/03/14/toys-r-us-to-close-all-800-of-its-u-s-stores

whats chances it will happen?

Almost 100%, unless the purported bid for the Canadian stores includes some of the US locations as well.

danfifepsu

Quote from: retailisking on March 14, 2018, 09:48:54 PM
Quote from: danfifepsu on March 14, 2018, 09:40:41 PM
Quote from: retailisking on March 14, 2018, 04:48:59 PM
This just in - Toys R Us to close all remaining US stores
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/business/wp/2018/03/14/toys-r-us-to-close-all-800-of-its-u-s-stores

whats chances it will happen?

Almost 100%, unless the purported bid for the Canadian stores includes some of the US locations as well.
i am sad if it and i stopped in Concords store and the clerk knew nothing.   And this had deflated my bday excitement , my bday is on friday.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Quote from: retailisking on March 14, 2018, 09:48:54 PM

Thank you, Canada!

XISMZERO

So is it really is happening?

The company still declines to comment which probably means they're preparing an official statement on what's really going on beyond media declaring them dead as if it's just the headline news of the week, using all these industry terms like administration and liquidation without just saying going out of business that aren't translating well to the public.

The questions no one has asked yet is:

How did the initial closings go from rougly 100 Toys R Us stores to all of them and within months?

How did they not see this coming and do waves of closings like SEARS/Kmart has been doing for years?

Has the company's top brass been this drunk for this many years to not have seen the hemorraging and closed stores in recent years?

Are Babies R Us stores also closing? I've seen no mention of Babies R Us mentioned when there were more Babies R Us stores than Toys R Us stores closing.

This all doesn't make a lot of sense -- but if it's true and we are waiting on the official statement from the company, it makes this one of the most colossal closures in retail history.

Surely, Toys R Us will emerge in name only -- maybe some major retailer will buy their name, maybe open up Toys R Us departments within stores?

Either way, many of us will have a ton of documenting to do of 800+ newly vacant stores this Summer...
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

danfifepsu

Quote from: XISMZERO on March 15, 2018, 09:44:33 AM
So is it really is happening?

The company still declines to comment which probably means they're preparing an official statement on what's really going on beyond media declaring them dead as if it's just the headline news of the week, using all these industry terms like administration and liquidation without just saying going out of business that aren't translating well to the public.

The questions no one has asked yet is:

How did the initial closings go from rougly 100 Toys R Us stores to all of them and within months?

How did they not see this coming and do waves of closings like SEARS/Kmart has been doing for years?

Has the company's top brass been this drunk for this many years to not have seen the hemorraging and closed stores in recent years?

Are Babies R Us stores also closing? I've seen no mention of Babies R Us mentioned when there were more Babies R Us stores than Toys R Us stores closing.

This all doesn't make a lot of sense -- but if it's true and we are waiting on the official statement from the company, it makes this one of the most colossal closures in retail history.

Surely, Toys R Us will emerge in name only -- maybe some major retailer will buy their name, maybe open up Toys R Us departments within stores?

Either way, many of us will have a ton of documenting to do of 800+ newly vacant stores this Summer...

I am in such denial is there a way that they can be saved?

giantsfan2016

All TRU stores and BRU stores will close no later than July. An exact date closing date has not been announced. Several Consumer advocates say spend your gift cards now. Not to bring politics into this, but Senator Chuck Schumar (sp?) is trying to get the Federal Trade Commission to force TRU to give people cash for unused TRU gift cards.