Toys R Us to close all remaining US stores*

Started by retailisking, March 08, 2018, 04:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmesNewington

The way this all played out didn't make sense and still doesn't. Some sources said all stores would close by the end of the week, and a few said the company was trying to save 200 locations. Will their online presence remain, as I see nothing different on their website. It would be nice if they kept a small percentage of stores or find a buyer. This is the largest shutdown of a retailer I can recall and so abrupt. They should have been closing stores right along. They are putting a lot of people out of work all at once. There must be more to this store. Ames at least had 1/2 the number of locations at the time of liquidation and were around before online shopping.

BillyGr

Seems to be much confusion overall. 

Most likely the stories about all the stores closing by the end of the week were taking that they would close all the stores and for some reason thinking they would just close without warning, rather than doing closing sales (kind of like restaurants often do), but it seems that won't happen.

Apparently they are still trying to sell the Canadian locations and whoever is buying those might be interested in taking 200 stores in the US, but in the meantime they will still do sales at all the stores in case that doesn't happen.  That would be similar to a few of the A&P locations that went through "closing" sales only to be picked up by other chains (ShopRite, Acme etc.) just as those sales were ending or shortly thereafter (the ones that were closed for more than just a couple days of resetting, like most of the locations S&S and Acme acquired were).

It also seems that they were hopeful that closing some locations (and the money obtained from that) would be enough to keep the rest going (which would be more like Sears or other chains have done) but that, also apparently did not work out, thus the sudden change.  Although similar has happened to other chains (going from a partial closing to a total one during the bankruptcy).

JJBers

Quote from: ShopKoFan on March 14, 2018, 11:46:57 PM
Quote from: retailisking on March 14, 2018, 09:48:54 PM
Almost 100%, unless the purported bid for the Canadian stores includes some of the US locations as well.

Thank you, Canada!
Actually, it's being done by MGA, a fully American company.
Though it would be nice, it's extremely unlikely that a company would buy out a dying category-killer brand.
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Quote from: JJBers on March 15, 2018, 08:22:19 PM
Almost 100%, unless the purported bid for the Canadian stores includes some of the US locations as well.

Thank you, Canada!
Though it would be nice, it's extremely unlikely that a company would buy out a dying category-killer brand.
More bad news:
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/15/toys-r-us-closing-bittersweet-for-kids-and-adults.html

The Toys "R" Us stores in Green Bay and Appleton, Wisconsin will close in May.

danfifepsu

Quote from: ShopKoFan on March 15, 2018, 10:36:16 PM
Quote from: JJBers on March 15, 2018, 08:22:19 PM

Thank you, Canada!
More bad news:
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/15/toys-r-us-closing-bittersweet-for-kids-and-adults.html

The Toys "R" Us stores in Green Bay and Appleton, Wisconsin will close in May.

I hope later to give time to  vist one last time. THIS IS THE MOST SADDEST AND ALSO LARGEST NUMBERO F CLOSINGS. its real sad. OK now that its midnight its my birthday and this news has deflated my birthday excitement and somewhat ruined my birthday for me, and this news falls around then.

I went to Manchester NH store today and it was BUSY.

I guess a horrifying BAd Christmas season did it in.

Toys "R" Us is about to go the way of Ames.

As Dr. Seuss once said: "Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."

danfifepsu

Quote from: ShopKoFan on March 17, 2018, 12:35:14 AM

As Dr. Seuss once said: "Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."

this is the saddest since Ames Closed. A Big blow. This is as bad as an empire of where the leader gets killed.

Someone needs to step in where Toy sr us failed. There is A NEED for this kind of store! This did bring down my birthday though too.

Quote from: danfifepsu on March 17, 2018, 12:38:49 AM

this is the saddest since Ames Closed. A Big blow. This is as bad as an empire of where the leader gets killed.

Someone needs to step in where Toy sr us failed. There is A NEED for this kind of store! This did bring down my birthday though too.

Maybe this will spark a neighborhood toy store renaissance, now that, as of Summer 2018, the national toy store chains are extinct.

From what I heard, there's a great neighborhood toy store called "Child's Play" in Washington, D.C.

danfifepsu

Quote from: ShopKoFan on March 17, 2018, 12:58:28 AM

Maybe this will spark a neighborhood toy store renaissance, now that, as of Summer 2018, the national toy store chains are extinct.

From what I heard, there's a great neighborhood toy store called "Child's Play" in Washington, D.C.

Just like VIDEO RENTALS.

there is a need for this kind of a store!!!

Loki

I make scenery/buildings for my diecast cars, was working on this when the news hit.

"swiftys tru"

JJBers

Quote from: danfifepsu on March 17, 2018, 01:25:18 AM
Quote from: ShopKoFan on March 17, 2018, 12:58:28 AM

Just like VIDEO RENTALS.

there is a need for this kind of a store!!!
A very localized need. Just like toy stores from this point on.
My Flickr

danfifepsu

this is the most depressing store chain closing. I feel this could have been prevented!!!!!!

Why didnt they prevent it???

Will another chain come and fill in Toys r us void and maybe have play areas what TOys r us should hvae done.

XISMZERO

Quote from: ShopKoFan on March 18, 2018, 08:48:17 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Actdg5JcM8

Real highlights from this video are seeing footage of Mr. Lazarus and, of course, a very rare 1970s Toys R Us design (with the four roof peaks and very long stripes!).

If you ever really think about it, these stores were very odd, dark and bunkered looking in their earliest incarnations!
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

danfifepsu

Quote from: XISMZERO on March 19, 2018, 10:52:31 AM

Real highlights from this video are seeing footage of Mr. Lazarus and, of course, a very rare 1970s Toys R Us design (with the four roof peaks and very long stripes!).

If you ever really think about it, these stores were very odd, dark and bunkered looking in their earliest incarnations!

in this day and age ones that have the old school look wont look or work as well if not renovated since opened. I wish Toys r us was saved. Dave Brandon is like the Burgermiester Miesterburger.

How the tables have turned after they killed over Child world and Playworld.

Quote from: danfifepsu on March 19, 2018, 11:32:32 AM

in this day and age ones that have the old school look wont look or work as well if not renovated since opened. I wish Toys r us was saved. Dave Brandon is like the Burgermiester Miesterburger.

It was Mitt Romney and his friends at KKR, Bain Capital and Vornado who stole money from Toys "R" Us. They took so much money that Toys "R" Us wound up in debt. Mitt Romney is the traitor in this, while Dave Brandon stood and watched the "greatest toy store" crumble.

danfifepsu

Quote from: ShopKoFan on March 19, 2018, 12:23:51 PM

It was Mitt Romney and his friends at KKR, Bain Capital and Vornado who stole money from Toys "R" Us. They took so much money that Toys "R" Us wound up in debt. Mitt Romney is the traitor in this, while Dave Brandon stood and watched the "greatest toy store" crumble.

I was told last day of work at stores is May 14!!!! whats that mean?

and sales start Thursday. they canceled easter egg hunt and birthady parties.

JJBers

Quote from: danfifepsu on March 19, 2018, 12:39:34 PM

Maybe that location is closing on the 14th
My Flickr

danfifepsu

Quote from: JJBers on March 19, 2018, 01:00:32 PM
Quote from: danfifepsu on March 19, 2018, 12:39:34 PM

Maybe that location is closing on the 14th

it said the chain was set to run out of cash by MAy without funding. So I guess theY HAD NO OTHER CHOICE. Christmas sales were 250 million below worst case projections. Weak Christmas sales will finish one off. Kmart and Sears are not far behind.

WHo will sell the collectors items that I got there now as only Toys r us did!!!

will WAlmart and Target increase their toy offerings????

KB Toys is confirmed to be returning this year, to capitalize on the demise of Toys "R" Us:

http://amesfanclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=81.210

danfifepsu

How will KB coming back replace Toys r us? And ok doesnt Toy s rus closing their flagship store 3 yrs ago tell ya something?

Also Amazon wants to buy some of the stores

Also I FEEL KMART / SEARS is NEXT. What ya say to that?

danfifepsu

Quote from: Brammy on March 21, 2018, 11:44:51 AM
Quote from: danfifepsu on March 20, 2018, 05:04:28 PM

Also Amazon wants to buy some of the stores

Not to use as TRU. For their own AMAZON stores.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-19/amazon-is-said-to-have-mulled-acquiring-some-toys-r-us-stores

I have guessed this since the beginning they would do that.

I am really sad about Toys r us and its as sad as the Toy STory 3 movie.

danfifepsu

NOW BRATZ FOUNDER Wants to buy out up to 400 stores. and OK if TOy sr us is saved or survives in someway I feel this was as bad as one faking their death and others sad and then find the person alive. Ie being put through this.

I went to concord's today and NO SALES! YET.

giantsfan2016

Last i heard they delayed the sale until Friday the 23rd. Meanwhile their founder just died at age 94.

http://www.wfsb.com/story/37787872/toys-r-us-founder-charles-lazarus-dies

Amesguy2000

XISMZERO

Here's an interesting picture of Mr. Lazarus in front of a 1970s Toys R Us. This design was their common one in the 70s with a box-shaped canopy over the entrance, tall colored planks and lettering before it was mounted on the roof.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

JJBers

My Flickr