Toys R Us to close all remaining US stores*

Started by retailisking, March 08, 2018, 04:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retailisking

*Thread title modified to reflect impending closure of all US stores

Unless a last-minute suitor or restructuring agreement emerges, it's all over
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-08/toys-r-us-said-to-be-prepping-liquidation-of-u-s-operations

MikeinBuffalo

Bed Bath and Beyond grunt.
N.Y. Ames Pilgrimages completed: Medina #69, Alden #78, Collins #79, Tonawanda #251, Blasdell #1066, South Cheektowaga #1077 (RIP), Cheektowaga/Depew #1079, Buffalo #1109, Buffalo #1206 (RIP)
Dead Retail of Buffalo on my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/141912098@N03/albums

esw01407

Tremendously sad. Not many in my area, but still a loss. Walmart's selection is often poor, and it seems like Target is carrying less, so not sure whats left aside from Amazon.

shore72

I feel sad for the kids of tomorrow-I still remember the magic of walking into a Toys R Us for the first time back in the 80's.

JJBers

WOW! That was awfully fast.
It's almost like Circuit City all over again.

If this goes through, I'll attempt to document the closing at both Manchester and Waterford, CT. (Attempt as in maybe once before, during, and after closing down)
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

danfifepsu

Quote from: JJBers on March 08, 2018, 11:34:48 PM
WOW! That was awfully fast.
It's almost like Circuit City all over again.

If this goes through, I'll attempt to document the closing at both Manchester and Waterford, CT. (Attempt as in maybe once before, during, and after closing down)

THIS IS THE WORST NEWS: They were only bankrupt for 6 months!!! and now they die! I guessed there is a chance they wont make it to CHRISTMAS. Whats chances they will die? And and and and when will they all go out if so?

This also falls right near my birthday!

XISMZERO

The articles keyword may close. I wouldn't get ahead of this news just yet. It's a buzzy article...

Liquidate could simply mean, they're going to close more stores.

from the web:

What is Liquidation?
Liquidation generally refers to the process of selling off a company’s inventory, typically at a big discount, to generate cash. In most cases, a liquidation sale is a precursor to a business closing. Once all the assets have been sold, the business is shut down.

In the accounting world, liquidation refers to the process of selling all of a company’s assets to generate cash to pay off creditors, or anyone the company owes money to.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

danfifepsu

Quote from: XISMZERO on March 09, 2018, 08:11:42 AM
The articles keyword may close. I wouldn't get ahead of this news just yet. It's a buzzy article...

Liquidate could simply mean, they're going to close more stores.

from the web:

What is Liquidation?
Liquidation generally refers to the process of selling off a company’s inventory, typically at a big discount, to generate cash. In most cases, a liquidation sale is a precursor to a business closing. Once all the assets have been sold, the business is shut down.

In the accounting world, liquidation refers to the process of selling all of a company’s assets to generate cash to pay off creditors, or anyone the company owes money to.

When will all be closed by???

TheFugitive

Typically what happens is that the retailer sells all of its remaining inventory to a liquidator,
a company that specializes in winding down business and disposing of existing inventory.

They liquidator will negotiate a deal to buy all remaining inventory from the retailer for some fraction
of its value and then will take over and run the Going Out of Business sales themselves, looking to profit on whatever
they can make on those goods above the price they paid.

Retailers will generally go for this deal as although they are getting less than full dollar value
on the merchandise, this enables them to unload the stores quickly and wind-down business
in a timely manner.

Amesguy2000

I do wonder if they will sell fixtures.. Seeing as to me never seeing a TRU actually close down iim not sure if they will sell the fixtures. Im hoping but Im not sure

danfifepsu

Quote from: Amesguy2000 on March 09, 2018, 09:58:31 AM
I do wonder if they will sell fixtures.. Seeing as to me never seeing a TRU actually close down iim not sure if they will sell the fixtures. Im hoping but Im not sure
when will they all close. I wish they'd see Christmas 2018.

Amesguy2000

I hate to be the barer of non positives but doesn't look like they will

danfifepsu

Quote from: Amesguy2000 on March 09, 2018, 01:09:07 PM
I hate to be the barer of non positives but doesn't look like they will
they died too fast! And when will they all go ya think and how this news falls 1 week before my birthday.

JJBers

Quote from: danfifepsu on March 09, 2018, 11:31:33 AM
Quote from: Amesguy2000 on March 09, 2018, 09:58:31 AM
when will they all close. I wish they'd see Christmas 2018.
If this is like any other closure, they might not even be around for Halloween of this year.
My Flickr

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

The world is not going to end because Toys "R" Us is closing. They never had any Toys "R" Us stores in Mexico in the past 60 years and it never had any effect on them.

danfifepsu

Quote from: ShopKoFan on March 10, 2018, 10:15:14 PM
The world is not going to end because Toys "R" Us is closing. They never had any Toys "R" Us stores in Mexico in the past 60 years and it never had any effect on them.

well Mexico is a developing Country and South America doesnt too

I feel really bad as its beeen a huge fixture in my life, and its worse when this announcement is being made when my birthday is coming up (its this coming Friday). When will they all c lose? I feel bad but yet not surprised, du e to their poor results.

I hope a last minute rescue happens and there will then be NO more real toy stores left.

giantsfan2016

Quote from: danfifepsu on March 10, 2018, 10:39:02 PM
I hope a last minute rescue happens and there will then be NO more real toy stores left.

Maybe not chains, but there are still independent toys shops around. For example: I live in Connecticut and these are independent toy shops I know off the top of my head.

West Hartford: The Toy Chest

Manchester: Time Machine Toy & Hobby

Middletown: Amatao's

New Britain: Amatao's

AmesNewington

What is going on with these chain retailers. All of a sudden, even after the recession ten years ago, they are all in debt. It's crazy to think TRU is thinking of abruptly shutting down all stores in a short time after only mentions of financial difficulty and yet Kmart/Sears is still going despite a long and painful decline.

There's a store in my area (Green Bay, Wisconsin) called "School House," which specializes in school supplies, art supplies and educational toys including LEGO and Playmobil products.

retailisking

Quote from: AmesNewington on March 11, 2018, 09:44:54 AM
What is going on with these chain retailers. All of a sudden, even after the recession ten years ago, they are all in debt. It's crazy to think TRU is thinking of abruptly shutting down all stores in a short time after only mentions of financial difficulty and yet Kmart/Sears is still going despite a long and painful decline.

In the case of Kmart/Sears, Eddie Lampert has a number of financial levers to pull to keep the operation in business (in a manner of speaking) while TRU's options are much more limited. TRU's impending demise is the culmination of a number of bad decisions over a period of years. Even the timing of their bankruptcy filing was bungled, as it left the company starved for resources just as the holiday season was beginning. Poor holiday sales results sealed their fate. They ran out of time and out of options.

danfifepsu

Quote from: retailisking on March 11, 2018, 09:58:48 AM
Quote from: AmesNewington on March 11, 2018, 09:44:54 AM

In the case of Kmart/Sears, Eddie Lampert has a number of financial levers to pull to keep the operation in business (in a manner of speaking) while TRU's options are much more limited. TRU's impending demise is the culmination of a number of bad decisions over a period of years. Even the timing of their bankruptcy filing was bungled, as it left the company starved for resources just as the holiday season was beginning. Poor holiday sales results sealed their fate. They ran out of time and out of options.

TOYS R US problems go back to 15 years ago. I can remember in 2004 they had bad sales and said to seperate Toys r us and BAbies R us and close stores and they did 12 years ago. Why was Duluth MN one of them as its the only Toys r us till Minneapolis 150 miles away or Grand Junction which the nearest other one is 250 miles way. They buyout caused the debt and ate into spending in their biz. I know full well it was not just AMAZON

I guess people will have to go to Target, Meijer or Walmart to find the latest toys once the Toys "R" Us in my area closes.

danfifepsu

Quote from: ShopKoFan on March 11, 2018, 06:35:20 PM
I guess people will have to go to Target, Meijer or Walmart to find the latest toys once the Toys "R" Us in my area closes.
can't Amazon make a physical toy chain? We need a store like that. When will they all close?

Quote from: danfifepsu on March 11, 2018, 07:09:35 PM
can't Amazon make a physical toy chain? We need a store like that. When will they all close?
Amazon is not in the business to just sell toys. If Amazon does a store, it's going to be like their store in Seattle, which sells everything. It is speculated TRU is going out of business soon.

JJBers

Toys "R" Us shutting down shows that the physical toy store market is not as big as it was 20 years ago.
Plus when I grew up (and even now), I never had a Toys R Us. I got all my toys at Walmart.
My Flickr

JimSawhill

Quote from: Brammy on March 11, 2018, 05:25:12 AM
Quote from: danfifepsu on March 10, 2018, 10:39:02 PM

Maybe not chains, but there are still independent toys shops around. For example: I live in Connecticut and these are independent toy shops I know off the top of my head.

West Hartford: The Toy Chest

Manchester: Time Machine Toy & Hobby

Middletown: Amatao's

New Britain: Amatao's

Time Machine is a great hobby store...before I moved, I was a member of the model railroading club.

danfifepsu

Quote from: ShopKoFan on March 11, 2018, 07:43:19 PM
Amazon is not in the business to just sell toys. If Amazon does a store, it's going to be like their store in Seattle, which sells everything. It is speculated TRU is going out of business soon.

WE NEED A STORE LIKE TOYS R US. also will they be around by June 21?

Quote from: danfifepsu on March 11, 2018, 09:01:46 PM

If you want a toy store so much, you should START YOUR OWN TOY STORE.

If you're wondering if TRU will still be around by June...I would not count on it.

danfifepsu

Quote from: ShopKoFan on March 11, 2018, 10:01:24 PM
Quote from: danfifepsu on March 11, 2018, 09:01:46 PM

If you want a toy store so much, you should START YOUR OWN TOY STORE.

If you're wondering if TRU will still be around by June...I would not count on it.

There is always liquidation sales. this chain has been a staple in my life and its worse when this news falls this time as my birthday is on Friday. I went to some of the closing Toys r us recently in Albany GA, Fayetteville GA, near Ross Park Mall in Pittsburgh PA and WIlliamsport PA, Newington CT and North HAven CT. I noticed if the mall near the Toys r us is dying the Toys r us will leave also eventually.

giantsfan2016

There was a story at the top of the 8AM hour this morning on Good Morning America that said the Liquidation Sale could begin as soon as this week. And besides the usual suspects of of Walmart, Target, and Amazon benefiting from the demise of Toys R Us, expect Kohl's, JC Penney, and Party City to benefit from the demise of Toys R Us as well. Kohl's and JC Penney recently expanded their toy departments. As for Party City I think they mentioned them since TRU sells some party supplies.