Main Menu

Caldor

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XISMZERO

My girlfriend told me a police officer was approaching in his car. I had to hurry it up! This Caldor obviously had the rainbow all the way until closure and it's still scarred on there after all these years!
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Marc82

Just to let everyone know, the Caldor Trailer is still sitting in the Price Chopper Parking Lot in Southington, Connecticut. It's been there since November.

XISMZERO

Here's the trailer Marc was talking about. I took these in December 2006.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Here's what the rainbow looked like very close. The decals were all crackled from age!
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Caldor1999

the theater at my high school has always remided me of caldor because of teh grey and red walls it was rentvated i think in 1990
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

XISMZERO

A reader of my site reports there's a former Caldor plaza in Groton, Connecticut still standing. I'm trying to find out more...
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by XISMZERO
A reader of my site reports there's a former Caldor plaza in Groton, Connecticut still standing. I'm trying to find out more...

wait u mean it could still possbley be vacant ???????
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

XISMZERO

QuoteOriginally posted by Whoser
There was one in Groton which closed and was turned into a weird use, It was turned into some sort of Government Agency thing, and in another topic I talked how there was one in Waterford which turned into an Ames then a Lowe's.

That former Caldor store in Groton, CT you're thinking of is actually now a "Pfizer King's Heights Facility" which is essentially used for a "drug safety technology center". Someone on my website mentioned another former Caldor in Groton, said it was part of some "dead 70's plaza". I'm hoping he'll respond.

You can see a picture of what was a Caldor shopping center, now owned by Pfizer taken from this (http://www.town.groton.ct.us/town_gov/Annual%20Report%202002.pdf) very .PDF.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

A few things. The tip off about the Groton, CT Caldor plaza e-mailed me back and says the other half of the plaza is still original while the other half was renovated into the Pfizer Facility. He didn't know that it had been redone. HOWEVER, he will be emailing me back soon with a photo of the other half his mother claims was part of the former Caldor.

Also. I finally got off (or right back on) my lazy butt and put my latest photos of the Caldor in East Patchogue, NY which I revisited in December 2006. The album is viewable on Yahoo. Go check it out!

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/xismzero/album/576460762387936691
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

greg8370

That picture of the Groton Pfizer building may not be accurate.  It doesn't look like that at all from the highway The plaza if you stood at the entrance was a Caldor on the left with one or two small stores in the middle and a supermarket on the other end.  It still looks like that.  I think the picture from the town report is mis-captioned.  I will check this out next week to be sure and post pictures.  This was the only Caldor in Groton.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by greg8370
That picture of the Groton Pfizer building may not be accurate.  It doesn't look like that at all from the highway The plaza if you stood at the entrance was a Caldor on the left with one or two small stores in the middle and a supermarket on the other end.  It still looks like that.  I think the picture from the town report is mis-captioned.  I will check this out next week to be sure and post pictures.  This was the only Caldor in Groton.

so this caldor might still be therE???
Caldor Forever!

greg8370

Yes, the building is still there.  Took some pics this morning.  First, my idea that the Groton Town report picture was mis-captioned was incorrect.  That picture shows the portion of the plaza that housed the supermarket.  The Caldor building itself is totally intact.  The whole plaza is fenced off so walking up to the building means hopping a fence in a very visible, high traffic area.  Also spotted one security camera as well.  You can take pics from the hotel next next that overlooks the property for rooftop and loading dock pictures and from the back of the bowling alley.   You could also go hiking behind the building to get pics of the back of the building which I didn't do.
The soda machines are still in front of the building! The lobby out doors are papered over.  The old bank building (CBT?) remains on the property as well.

greg8370

**Caldor1999  send me an email so I can use your address to send pics to  gfogg@myeastern.com
**Nick--I sent you a bunch.  Feel free to post them to your site--Greg

XISMZERO

Site updated! Didn't post all the pictures, but here's what I submitted got for now. Thanks again to Greg! Enjoy!
http://thecaldorrainbow.blogspot.com/2007/02/surviving-caldor-in-groton-confirmed.html
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Caldor1999

Site updated! Didn't post all the pictures, but here's what I submitted got for now. Thanks again to Greg! Enjoy!
http://thecaldorrainbow.blogspot.com/2007/02/surviving-caldor-in-groton-confirmed.html

wow nice pics!!!!!! i liek how they saved it this caldor looks like the one in the fairfeild mall in MA which is now a wal mart im gussineg it was bulit in the mid 70's and from the looks of it it had the orange lettering
Caldor Forever!

XISMZERO

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
wow nice pics!!!!!! i liek how they saved it this caldor looks like the one in the fairfeild mall in MA which is now a wal mart im gussineg it was bulit in the mid 70's and from the looks of it it had the orange lettering

I was guessing the same thing but also entertained the possibility this one might've even had very different/earlier signage. I've also found it closed in the 1996 wave of closings; the first wave after Chapter 11 declaration.

Also, It appears many "orange-letter" Caldor stores took over Woolco in the early 80's. This was, to my knowledge, not a Woolco. It's an oldie, and it remains a mystery.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Caldor1999

I was guessing the same thing but also entertained the possibility this one might've even had very different/earlier signage. I've also found it closed in the 1996 wave of closings; the first wave after Chapter 11 declaration.

Also, It appears many "orange-letter" Caldor stores took over Woolco in the early 80's. This was, to my knowledge, not a Woolco. It's an oldie, and it remains a mystery.

it kida looks a bit like this caldor which open in 1974 i dont know if this location closed in 1996 i doubt it in 1996 clador clsed most of its up state new york stores  they did close some in 1998 but that was there DC stores

but your can see it has the same resecblance to the caldor you were at they have the same entrance and this caldor had the orange logo on the outside the mall entrance had teh rainbow logo but see how simaler they are i think this might have been a styal caldor used in the mid 70's
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

XISMZERO

it kida looks a bit like this caldor which open in 1974 i dont know if this location closed in 1996 i doubt it in 1996 clador clsed most of its up state new york stores  they did close some in 1998 but that was there DC stores

but your can see it has the same resecblance to the caldor you were at they have the same entrance and this caldor had the orange logo on the outside the mall entrance had teh rainbow logo but see how simaler they are i think this might have been a styal caldor used in the mid 70's

That's a good observation. However, that Caldor opened in 1974 as a Forbes & Wallace, when they went out of business a couple years later, Caldor anchored it. I'm not too sure if they added that sloped facade, but it does very much resemble the Groton store. You could be onto something here, and you're probably right about the Groton Caldor; probably had orange lettering and had it all the way up until it's death.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Marc82

The Caldor trailer which was parked in the Price Chopper parking lot in Southington since November is gone! When did the get rid of it? I'm not sure. I could've sworn it was there yesterday. This morning XISMZERO picked me up at the abandoned Shaw's so we could go to the library to do some research. As we were approaching Price Chopper he asked me if the Caldor Trailer was still there. I said to him as far as I know it is. Then as we were going by he says to me where is it? I respond Holy Cow they must've finally got rid of it.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc82
The Caldor trailer which was parked in the Price Chopper parking lot in Southington since November is gone! When did the get rid of it? I'm not sure. I could've sworn it was there yesterday. This morning XISMZERO picked me up at the abandoned Shaw's so we could go to the library to do some research. As we were approaching Price Chopper he asked me if the Caldor Trailer was still there. I said to him as far as I know it is. Then as we were going by he says to me where is it? I respond Holy Cow they must've finally got rid of it.

io saw  acaldor truck on teh road a few days ago it had the orange lettering if i had my cam i would have taken a picture
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

hears the caldor STILL VACANT in Queens NY
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

hears anoutehr pic of that caldor i cant believe its still vacant espcialy in such a populated place woner how the inside looks
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

night shot of the same store this was the main entrance
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

amesman

where in Queens is that store exactly? I would kill to see it.

XISMZERO

QuoteOriginally posted by amesman

It's in Flushing, Queens on Roosevelt Ave. Like most of Queens, it's in a very dilapidated, dangerous area. Wal-Mart surveyed the building and almost built a store here, but they declined (or maybe the city did). Anyway, it's logo is visible off of the nearby train station.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

beachgal26

Hi, Caldor1999.  I wanted to let you know the status of 2 of the stores that were listed and their current status.  I was lucky enough to see the former shopping center that housed the Catonsville store in 2005.  (It used to be a great local shopping center complete with a Musicland and Pantry Pride where I spent alot of money in the 60's and even worked my first job in 1970.)  Sometime in the past few years, the entire plaza was razed and the Caldor (along with everything else including the outdoor skating rink) is now history.  In its place now lies a brand center with a Costco and one of the office supply stores.  You'd have had to live in the area to even know that it was ever there.

The store that used to be part of Golden Ring Mall is long gone as that mall was also razed and turned into some other type of shopping center.  (If you happen to see the artice on deadmalls.com, you'll see the odd history that the mall had in it's heydays of the 70's and early 80's.)

amesman

QuoteOriginally posted by amesman

It's in Flushing, Queens on Roosevelt Ave. Like most of Queens, it's in a very dilapidated, dangerous area. Wal-Mart surveyed the building and almost built a store here, but they declined (or maybe the city did). Anyway, it's logo is visible off of the nearby train station.

Thanks for the info! I need to get down there sometime.

Loki

I found this searching the web for old retail pics, judging by the songs on the list I'd say it's from around 1980. I can fondly remember the Caldor record department, they had a counter in the center and they would usually have lists like this available. I even rember the toy department having its own counter and register at one time. I'll have to look for the source of this image.