Walmart

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nims57

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy
QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
Ancient Wal-Mart Check-Out Area Pic:
Probably from the early, early 80's(maybe from the 1st Supercenter they had?), when WalMart was a whole different company

Thats interesting. I don't remember those because Wal-Mart didn't come to my area until the mid 90's. The Warminster PA. location opened in 1995.

Actually, I think it was 1997. (My grandfather worked at this store for a few years until they started "locking him in" and he quit). I remember when it opened all the "Made in USA" signs and "Pennsylvania" signs showing patriotism...all painted over now.

To you, that was 1995 or maybe early 1996... the Quakertown store opened in 1996 (a later prototype) with a warehouse ceiling and all. Or are you thinking 1987?

Parrot32X

This is the Wal-Mart store in Whitesburg, KY. Like its cousin in Big Stone Gap, Virginia, this store is relatively small compared to the nearby Supercenters in the area. However, it used to have a snack bar until 2005, when they took it out and used it as extra retail space. It originally opened in 1984 and was expanded slightly in 1993. Here is a view of the building:

<iframe width="425" height="240" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/sv?cbp=12,84.22,,0,4.7&amp;cbll=37.116931,-82.796215&amp;panoid=&amp;v=1&amp;hl=en&amp;gl=us"></iframe>
<small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=Whitesburg,+KY&amp;sll=37.0625,-95.677068&amp;sspn=33.984987,79.101563&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=37.125492,-82.821722&amp;spn=0.004175,0.009656&amp;t=h&amp;z=14&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=37.116931,-82.796215&amp;panoid=x2MZ5zzN9G9KVpqUtSFgQw&amp;cbp=12,84.22,,0,4.7" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Parrot32X

Here is the former Wal-Mart building in Hazard, KY. It originally opened with the rest of the Black Gold Plaza in 1989 and was expanded in 1992. Unlike the one in Whitesburg (located 31 miles away from Hazard), this one had a pharmacy and a restaurant of some kind (first a McDonald's from the mid 90's until 1999, then a snack bar until it closed in 2004.) It relocated about 3 miles away on Highway 80 to a new Supercenter on April 14, 2004. (I was there at its grand opening, by the way.) Meanwhile, this building was vacant until 2007 when Appalachian Regional Healthcare (ARH) decided to open a Medical Mall, essentially a giant clinic. Also, a Veteran's Clinic is located in the right-hand side of the building next door to Shoe Sensation. It should be noted that they drastically remodeled it so much a person couldn't tell it was a Wal-Mart in the first place! Here's a view of the building:

<iframe width="425" height="240" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/sv?cbp=12,158,,0,3.5&amp;cbll=37.253173,-83.201926&amp;panoid=&amp;v=1&amp;hl=en&amp;gl=us"></iframe>
<small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=Hazard,+KY&amp;sll=37.0625,-95.677068&amp;sspn=0,280.898438&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=37.28498,-83.178177&amp;spn=0.133358,0.30899&amp;t=h&amp;z=12&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=37.253173,-83.201926&amp;panoid=PIorHH2b1yPxK5zNZ2L-ow&amp;cbp=12,158,,0,3.5" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Parrot32X

Here is the current Wal-Mart in Hazard that opened on April 14, 2004. It is so far the only Wal-Mart Grand Opening that I have ever been to in my life. Like most Supercenters, it has a gas station which opened on the same day as the main store. It also originally had a snack bar until 2005, when they put a Subway restaurant inside the store. Here is a view of the building:

<iframe width="425" height="240" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/sv?cbp=12,351.09,,0,6.4&amp;cbll=37.296789,-83.212919&amp;panoid=&amp;v=1&amp;hl=en&amp;gl=us"></iframe>
<small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=Hazard,+KY&amp;sll=37.0625,-95.677068&amp;sspn=0,280.898438&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=37.26169,-83.190622&amp;spn=0.00833,0.019312&amp;t=h&amp;z=14&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=37.296789,-83.212919&amp;panoid=E9kz558CLY4GbpONGCHREQ&amp;cbp=12,351.09,,0,6.4" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

jmcnamara96

In manchester NH Walmart will close there store and build a super center near a small commuity on a former car lot

retailfan

There closing the Walmart in Manchester That store isnt very old if its the one accross from Mall Of NH  there was one in Hookset Nh  also that i remember and also the one in Bedford  i used to go to when i worked at ritz on second st  From what i hear  Ritz closed up that store I also worked at the Caldor in Bedford till it closed up for good

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by retailfan
There closing the Walmart in Manchester That store isnt very old if its the one accross from Mall Of NH  there was one in Hookset Nh  also that i remember and also the one in Bedford  i used to go to when i worked at ritz on second st  From what i hear  Ritz closed up that store I also worked at the Caldor in Bedford till it closed up for good  
niooo they are moving the one in Manchester. up the road

Marc82

Connecticut Update:

SuperCenter in Wallingford - Remodel 90% Complete.

Newington - Grand Reopening scheduled for July 8th.

Sams Club Newington - Gas Station open. Store opens July 22nd. (or was that July 20th? They sent a recruiter to Southington last week to sign up customers and employees)

Waterbury - Remodel Currently in Progress (started not too long a go)

Southington - Remodel will start within 2 week of the Grand Reopening of Newington.

New Britain - Remodel still slated for later this year. (Not sure when)

Hartford - Rumors Still abound about conversion to SuperCenter. Company Official will not confirm or deny at this time.

AmesNewington

Newington is moving along. Right now it is a war zone. A lot of progress is made each day. I was in there on Wednesday and Thursday of this week and significant changes were made from Weds. to Thurs. The night workers must work very hard. They even have dozens of workers there in the day (weekdays only hopefully) moving shelving. I still can't figure out where every department will be by completion of the project, however, some departments have found their permanent new home. The old Toy department next to where the Hardware/Auto/Paint area will now be the Food Center. As opposed to their current one aisle freezer section, they seem like they are expanding their frozen selection quite a bit. There are about 3 aisles of freezers now and the aisles of food and drinks are next to the freezers like before, however, the aisles are wider and the selection is larger. Next to the food department is the pet department. They seem to have located their "essential" items to the back of the store now instead of the front where they were. It seems to be a marketing strategy. You have to walk by the "non-essential" items such as clothing and furniture to get to the food and health/beauty items. (Clever). The exterior is starting to be worked on as well. The entrance and exit doors have been replaced and I think the green paint scheme is going in favor of blue. One entrance (the right side) is blocked off completely.

In closing, they reopened the Pharmacy in its spot and now have moved the Vision Center to the small box next to the registers and are re-doing that. There are still a few departments left untouched like Home Furnishings, Housewares and Seasonal. I hope they will get updated as well. Right now, the Seasonal/Garden department is the only department STILL featuring the brown painted walls. Hopefully it will end up blue like the rest of the store. They still have a month, so I'm waiting to see how things turn out.

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by AmesNewington
As opposed to their current one aisle freezer section, they seem like they are expanding their frozen selection quite a bit. There are about 3 aisles of freezers now and the aisles of food and drinks are next to the freezers like before, however, the aisles are wider and the selection is larger.

Yeah in Southington the new Food Section is expected to move into the spot where The Toy and Pet Departments are located. They want the food section to be around the size of the food section of the new Target and they have a huge food dept. Heard toy dept is going into the Vision Center. The Vision Center is going next to Subway where the Mens Dept is. Not sure where the pharmacy is going. Electronics is going where The Boys/Infant Depts is now. Yeah. Put it right there where the fire exit is so there will be more shop lifting. Most of the employees want to see the blueprints, but management wont show them to us. We just got our new metal shopping carts on Monday. The Gray Plastic ones are on their way back to Bentonville to be recycled. And we also now got Blue Box DVD/Game Rentals. (Just like RedBox at Price Chopper and Stop & Shop).

mikey7290

While I was in Massena NY on Monday (6/1), I passed the site of the old 92,000 sf Walmart store.  It has been torn down.  The parking lot is still there but there is nothing more than a concrete slab where the store once stood.  I am planning to go to Massena in the next week or so and will try to get both pics of the old site and the new superstore.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by mikey7290
While I was in Massena NY on Monday (6/1), I passed the site of the old 92,000 sf Walmart store.  It has been torn down.  The parking lot is still there but there is nothing more than a concrete slab where the store once stood.  I am planning to go to Massena in the next week or so and will try to get both pics of the old site and the new superstore.

I have pics of the old WAl-mart in MAssena

shakethis1234

walmart in massena tore the old store down cause they were having trouble selling the property.

Marc82

A public hearing for the remodel in Southington is being held on Tuesday June 23rd at 7PM.

nims57

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc82
A public hearing for the remodel in Southington is being held on Tuesday June 23rd at 7PM.

I'd fight it, since they intend to remodel/relocate stores every 7 years.

AmesNewington

Newington has just recieved new registers. They're all blue, even the register number signs. The cashiers now have touch screen operating registers instead of the keyboards. The registers seem a bit smaller than the old ones. There are only about 4 registers set up as of right now. The rest of the new registers are sitting in their new intended spots in packaging. I'm impressed with these registers.

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by nims57

Most companies remodel/revamp their stores every 5-10 years. The only difference is this time around Walmart is moving everything around. And our store isn't going anywhere. There is no space anywhere in Southington (or nearby Plainville) to build a SuperCenter. We don't like our current location, but we have no other choice. We offered to buy-out the other tenants in the plaza in 2007 so that we could rip it down and build a SuperCenter. Every tenant accepted a buy-out offer except for ACCU-VISION. You know what they said? "We've been in the same location for 20+ years. Many of our clients are elderly and wouldn't be able to find us if we moved." So the buy-out offer was removed from the table.

You know something? If I had a business and  Walmart offered me money to relocate my business, I would say to them "When shall I bring the moving truck?"

wwefan101

walmat in oxford is 15 pluse years old and still the same well soon to  be a super store

standa

The Walmart in Halifax, MA will become a supercenter, but will remain at about 100,000 sq ft, because it was not permitted to expand.  Now the nearby Stop & Shop wants to fight the Walmart renovation.

Do Walmart supercenters have a large natural foods area, like most supermarkets?

wwefan101

walmart in oxford has been fighting  tobecome a super store for years  i was tould ther goign to break ground in the spring of 2010 for the 30tousand sq feet grocey section frist they got to remove part of a stone  cliff  then i guse begain bulding to open in  late 2010 to early 2011

nims57

Most companies remodel/revamp their stores every 5-10 years. The only difference is this time around Walmart is moving everything around. And our store isn't going anywhere. There is no space anywhere in Southington (or nearby Plainville) to build a SuperCenter. We don't like our current location, but we have no other choice. We offered to buy-out the other tenants in the plaza in 2007 so that we could rip it down and build a SuperCenter. Every tenant accepted a buy-out offer except for ACCU-VISION. You know what they said? "We've been in the same location for 20+ years. Many of our clients are elderly and wouldn't be able to find us if we moved." So the buy-out offer was removed from the table.

You know something? If I had a business and  Walmart offered me money to relocate my business, I would say to them "When shall I bring the moving truck?"

Walmart has been relocating/expanding stores often since 1987. Your store opened in 2002! How could you not like your current location? Maybe they should plan before opening in former Bradlees/Caldor/Jamesway stores, etc.

AmesNewington

BREAKING NEWS:

The Wal-Mart in New-Britain, CT is closing. It will close on August 31, 2009.

So much for the re-model of that store. This is a really weird development. I couldn't believe it, but from what I've heard, this location was too small and dirty. I have only been there twice at the most when the new location first opened in 2001, and even then, I found it to be way too small.

One thing not clearly stated in the articles both on WTNH and WFSB was that the current New Britain location didn't open in Sept. 1997. That was when the former Slater Road location opened. Like I mentioned, the current Farmington Ave. location opened some time in 2001.

I remember when Caldor was where the Wal Mart is now. I wonder if something will replace it. It sure didn't take long for this store to fail.  

Link to article from WTNH:

http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/hartford_cty/news_wtnh_new_britain_walmart_close_200907011110

Marc82

BREAKING NEWS:

So much for the re-model of that store. This is a really weird development. I couldn't believe it, but from what I've heard, this location was too small and dirty. I have only been there twice at the most when the new location first opened in 2001, and even then, I found it to be way too small.

One thing not clearly stated in the articles both on WTNH and WFSB was that the current New Britain location didn't open in Sept. 1997. That was when the former Slater Road location opened. Like I mentioned, the current Farmington Ave. location opened some time in 2001.

I remember when Caldor was where the Wal Mart is now. I wonder if something will replace it. It sure didn't take long for this store to fail.  

http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/hartford_cty/news_wtnh_new_britain_walmart_close_200907011110

As the news made it's way over to Queen Street Southington we were all shocked, but not at all surprised. We heard that there was a lot of internal theft at the New Britain Store. (Of course there was also alot of external theft there too). We really don't want any of those employees working at our store in Southington. We don't need those kinds of problems.  (Southington is in the Top 5 of Top Performing Stores in Hartford District).  Plus we're all worried our working hours will be cut.

That being said, you don't usually hear about Walmart closing stores. Usually the only time we close stores is if a replacement store is built.

AmesNewington

BREAKING NEWS:

As the news made it's way over to Queen Street Southington we were all shocked, but not at all surprised. We heard that there was a lot of internal theft at the New Britain Store. (Of course there was also alot of external theft there too). We really don't want any of those employees working at our store in Southington. We don't need those kinds of problems.  (Southington is in the Top 5 of Top Performing Stores in Hartford District).  Plus we're all worried our working hours will be cut.

That being said, you don't usually hear about Walmart closing stores. Usually the only time we close stores is if a replacement store is built.

Marc, do you know all of the Top 5 performing stores in the Hartford region?

And internal theft can shut a store down. It doesn't surprise me.

Marc82

I will see if I can find out that info.

nims57

BREAKING NEWS:

Serves them right. Why did they relocate after FOUR years!? FOUR years!?

Marc82

Serves them right. Why did they relocate after FOUR years!? FOUR years!?

Spoken like a true person who does know their a** from a hole in the ground.

Walmart had no say in the matter. After Caldor closed its doors Walmart snatched up the property to keep a competitor from opening a store there. They were using the site for storage. Well they didn't keep the site very presentable and it made the city look bad. (It already is bad but that's a story for another time). Neighbors complained to the mayor's office. And finally then mayor of New Britain - Lucian Pawlak told WALMART they either had to do something  with the property or sell it. So the renovated it and moved their store their from Slater Road. And leased (or sold) their Slater Road property to Webster Bank who now uses it for corporate offices.

And whomever stated 01 as when they opened on Farmington Ave was mistaken. It was actually 03. (or 04)

store215

Wal-Mart shutting down one store in CT without a replacement! This is something that almost never happens...

The New Britain Wal-Mart will close on Aug. 31, the first time Wal-Mart Stores Inc. has shut down one of its Connecticut locations without replacing or relocating the store.

The store's 162 workers learned of the closure Wednesday morning.

Chris Buchanan, a Wal-Mart spokesman, said the New Britain store at 655 Farmington Ave. is closing because it "did not meet the company's expectations." Employees will be eligible for positions at other Wal-Mart and Sam's Club locations, Buchanan said.
http://www.courant.com/business/hc-newbritain-walmart-closes.artjul02,0,4646630.story

d_fife

why why why is the Wal-mart in NEW Britain closing, its the only store like that for miles? WHY CANT THEY MOVIE IT TO A SUPERCENTER?

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
why why why is the Wal-mart in NEW Britain closing, its the only store like that for miles? WHY CANT THEY MOVIE IT TO A SUPERCENTER?

Too much INTERNAL THEFT. It's always been like that, dating back to when they were located on Slater Road.