Main Menu

Walmart

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_fife

why did Wal-mart move from the old Location in NEw britian years ago?

why can't they move to a Supercenter?

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
why did Wal-mart move from the old Location in NEw britian years ago?

From a previous post of mine above:

Walmart had no say in the matter. After Caldor closed its doors Walmart snatched up the property to keep a competitor from opening a store there. They were using the site for storage. Well they didn't keep the site very presentable and it made the city look bad. (It already is bad but that's a story for another time). Neighbors complained to the mayor's office. And finally then mayor of New Britain - Lucian Pawlak told WALMART they either had to do something with the property or sell it. So the renovated it and moved their store their from Slater Road. And leased (or sold) their Slater Road property to Webster Bank who now uses it for corporate offices.

Quotewhy can't they move to a Supercenter?

There's not a suitable site in New Britain, Berlin, or Plainville for them to build a SuperCenter and furthere more there are rumors Flatbush Ave in Hartford will be converted to a SuperCenter.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by mikey7290
While I was in Massena NY on Monday (6/1), I passed the site of the old 92,000 sf Walmart store.  It has been torn down.  The parking lot is still there but there is nothing more than a concrete slab where the store once stood.  I am planning to go to Massena in the next week or so and will try to get both pics of the old site and the new superstore.

I saw that too

Marc82

In Texas and Arizona Walmart has launched a Hispanic grocery store concept called Supermercado del Walmart. The two stores opened in former Neighborhood Market locations and target the Hispanic Consumer. So far these 2 locations are gonna be the only Supermacado del Walmart locations.

http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSTRE5676N820090708?pageNumber=1&virtualBrandChannel=0

gu4ever

Well the days are now numbered, this store formerly a Zayre and Ames will be closing next week. Walmart has built a new home for itself on route 3A in Hooksett.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

gu4ever

The new home of Walmart in Hooksett. This was the first time I drove up into the property. The store is massive and is flashing it's new decor package.

TRJ22487

The ongoing evolution of the Keene, NH former Bradlees
This building was originally a Grant's

Picture 1) Late 70's/Early 80's - 2001 Bradlees (Picture by another member of this board)
Picture 2) 2003-July 2009 Walmart (Picture by Me)
Picture 3) August 2009 Walmart (Picture by Me)

AmesNewington

I wonder why Wal-Mart is painting most of their remodeled stores brown/tan. Shouldn't they be blue?

In the second picture, Wal-Mart's exterior (not the part with the sign; its more to the right) looks like the exterior of a Shaw's.

nims57

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc82
In Texas and Arizona Walmart has launched a Hispanic grocery store concept called Supermercado del Walmart. The two stores opened in former Neighborhood Market locations and target the Hispanic Consumer. So far these 2 locations are gonna be the only Supermacado del Walmart locations.

http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSTRE5676N820090708?pageNumber=1&virtualBrandChannel=0

The Neighborhood Markets closed?

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by nims57
The Neighborhood Markets closed?

No. Just the two mentioned in the article. Also as a company employee I can tell you also out in Houston they've also launched a Hispanic-oriented Warehouse Club called Mas.

gu4ever

QuoteOriginally posted by AmesNewington
I wonder why Wal-Mart is painting most of their remodeled stores brown/tan. Shouldn't they be blue?

In the second picture, Wal-Mart's exterior (not the part with the sign; its more to the right) looks like the exterior of a Shaw's.  

Good catch AmesNewington, in fact there is a Shaw's next to this Walmart in Keene, NH.
And from what I can see in my area the brand new Hooksett, NH store + a bunch of renovated stores all got a brand new coat of tan and brown paint. This matches the new interior colors that are rolling out into stores.

dmx10101

They are going for the earth tones for their stores now
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

catsnap1972

The blue motif of past years is obsolete...they're pretty much going with tans and browns now.  Some stores in the past 5 years were opened with green/white motifs but I'm not sure if any new stores are being built or remodeled with that paint scheme any longer.

(and obviously the newer builds/remodels are getting the new logo sign where feasible)

AmesNewington

Primarily to Marc82:

Have you heard what is going on with the Manchester CT Wal-Mart? That location was supposed to be converted to a SuperCenter and move to South Windsor. I assume that deal fell through. Is this store going to be remodeled? Last I saw of it, it had the mid-90s exterior probably since it opened. I know this was the first Wal-Mart in Connecticut opened in the '92-'93 period.

XISMZERO

QuoteOriginally posted by dmx10101
They are going for the earth tones for their stores now

It appears that way. Many Walmart stores being remodeled under the new "sunburst" logo design contain brown/tan or forest green colored jobs.

Many locations in Connecticut are getting the remodel this year (Rocky Hill, Southington, Wallingford, Newington -- that I know of).

Here's the one in Wallingford, CT on Rt. 5 which is still a "Supercenter" but doesn't don the name anymore. Taken August 2009.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by AmesNewington
Primarily to Marc82:

Have you heard what is going on with the Manchester CT Wal-Mart? That location was supposed to be converted to a SuperCenter and move to South Windsor. I assume that deal fell through. Is this store going to be remodeled? Last I saw of it, it had the mid-90s exterior probably since it opened. I know this was the first Wal-Mart in Connecticut opened in the '92-'93 period.  

Dang dude, I haven't heard anything about this since the article was in The Hartford Courant over a year and a half ago. Anyway I'm against the idea. If Walmart wants a Supercenter in Manchester they can buy the abandoned section of the Manchester Parkcade.

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by XISMZERO
Many locations in Connecticut are getting the remodel this year (Rocky Hill, Southington, Wallingford, Newington -- that I know of)
Actually Rocky Hill was done last year (along with Avon). Other stores being done this year include Waterbury and Danbury. Bristol will be getting an expanded food section next year and Cromwell will be completely over-hauled next year.

QuoteHere's the one in Wallingford, CT on Rt. 5 which is still a "Supercenter" but doesn't don the name anymore. Taken August 2009.

Question about the Super Center in Wallingford. A couple people told me it's in the old Super K-Mart. Other says Super K-Mart was ripped down and The Super Center was built in its place. Anyone know the truth?

scottw73

it was a Super K-Mart, when they closed down the Kmart  in the first or second wave of closings, the Walmart relocated to this location from where Bj's is now.

XDeSuEhTX

QuoteOriginally posted by catsnap1972
The blue motif of past years is obsolete...they're pretty much going with tans and browns now.  Some stores in the past 5 years were opened with green/white motifs but I'm not sure if any new stores are being built or remodeled with that paint scheme any longer.

(and obviously the newer builds/remodels are getting the new logo sign where feasible)

Around here it's tan and brown with blue still on the front and center wall. Our old Walmart non-supercenter was tan and brown in the 80's and early 90's.

Walmart can't fool me, I know its evil, no matter the color.
"Ancient malls, overgrown like Roman ruins without the class, our generation will be remembered for our greatest works, our trinkets at Spencer Gifts"

standa

Will the remodeled CT Walmarts be selling fresh food (like produce, bakery, deli)?

Zayre88

It is me or many Supercenters remodeled with the new colors and logo are no longer called Supercenters?

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
It is me or many Supercenters remodeled with the new colors and logo are no longer called Supercenters?

It's beginning to look that way...

gu4ever

A lot of the super centers that are around here now close at midnight and no longer offer the 24 hour shopping convenience?

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by standa
Will the remodeled CT Walmarts be selling fresh food (like produce, bakery, deli)?

No (aside from the SuperCenter in Wallingford), but they are expanding the food options.

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by ShopKoFan

I don't have any info, but maybe they're gonna do away with the Supercenter name and just call them Walmarts regardless of the size. I know Target is phasing out the name Greatland and Super Target.

XISMZERO

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc82...maybe they're gonna do away with the Supercenter name and just call them Walmarts regardless of the size.

My educated guess tells me they will strip stores of the "Supercenter" name in place for just "Walmart." Perhaps they will slowly phase it out. It appears to be the company strategy of fresh and new.

My question is will they keep former Supercenters open 24 hours?
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

nims57

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc82
QuoteOriginally posted by ShopKoFan

I don't have any info, but maybe they're gonna do away with the Supercenter name and just call them Walmarts regardless of the size. I know Target is phasing out the name Greatland and Super Target.

They are phasing out Greatland. SuperTarget is going nowhere anytime soon.

nims57

QuoteOriginally posted by videogamer75
QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
wal-mart in phillipsburg nj that opened in fall 1997 and 130,000 sq.ft. and seems to want to move nearby as a supercenter, which will be the first supercenter in nj.

No, actually the one in Turnersville, NJ became the first NJ supercenter in 2005 I believe. I think it may have been the first general Walmart in NJ too. It opened in the mid 80's according to my parents

I think the first Supercenter in NJ might have been in Old Bridge or something like that (Asbury Park area).

videogamer75

No, it was in Turnersville, NJ. It was the first Wal-Mart discount store in NJ back in 1991, and was expanded to also become the first Supercenter in NJ in 2005.

gu4ever

The Walmart of Hooksett, NH is now empty. They are in their new home up on route 3A.