Bradlees

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobil

QuoteOriginally posted by videogamer75
The sign

That sign gives away that this was also a Two Guys. Compare it to this:

videogamer75

Actually I don't think the store was ever a Two Guys, there is no mention of there ever being a Turnersville store anywhere online. I don't know for sure though because I wasn't alive when Two Guys was still in business.

Mobil

Actually I don't think the store was ever a Two Guys, there is no mention of there ever being a Turnersville store anywhere online. I don't know for sure though because I wasn't alive when Two Guys was still in business.

Many Jefferson Wards were former Two Guys, but I think Jefferson Ward remodeled many of them.

The Bradlees in Egg Harbor was probably another store because Bradlees had no stores in the Philadelphia area until they bought Jefferson Ward. Maybe the store next to it was a MediMart drugstore, which were Stop & Shop owned and later became Walgreens.

Was the one in Ventnor ever a Jefferson Ward?

Caldor1999

here is the former Bradlees in Turnersville, NJ, before Bradlees it was a Jefferson Ward and it is now The Dump furniture store. Notice how The Dump repainted it so that it was black again like it was when it was Jefferson Ward.

it was still black when bradlees was there it also had a white bradlees logo theres a picture of it on this thred
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

MikeRa

here is the former Bradlees in Turnersville, NJ, before Bradlees it was a Jefferson Ward and it is now The Dump furniture store. Notice how The Dump repainted it so that it was black again like it was when it was Jefferson Ward.
There is also The Dump store in the former Bradlees/Jefferson Ward/Two Guys in Langhorne (Levittown), PA, on Lincoln Highway (US Business Route 1)
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

Mobil

Odd to see a former Jefferson Ward/Bradlees today that has not been completely remodeled like the ones in Turnersville and Stratford. These pylon signs are the only remains of Two Guys, Jefferson Ward, or Bradlees at the ones near me.

Now they read SUPER STOP & SHOP and WAL-MART :flaming:
as well as the other stores in the plaza. One was in a shopping center with an A&P and later Drug Emporium. The other one was in the same plaza as both a Penn Fruit Pathmark and Rickel.

Mobil

This looks like a Two Guys/Bradlees sign. Ironically, there was a Bradlees across the street from this plaza and it was never Two Guys.

CTAmeshopper

That malls pretty much toast it has a Value City that's going to close. I doubt that Burlington cat factory will stay for long.

videogamer75

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999

it was still black when bradlees was there it also had a white bradlees logo theres a picture of it on this thred

Perhaps it was, I don't really remember the store that well as I am more familiar with the Stratford, NJ store which is nearby. I do think I went to it a few times when I was little though. Inside the Turnersville store, it is really nice looking and renovated inside, and doesn't look anything like a dump (no pun intended). (Hopefully) soon I am going to go see a half vacant Bradlees in Woodbury, NJ. Part of it is now a Staples.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999

Perhaps it was, I don't really remember the store that well as I am more familiar with the Stratford, NJ store which is nearby. I do think I went to it a few times when I was little though. Inside the Turnersville store, it is really nice looking and renovated inside, and doesn't look anything like a dump (no pun intended). (Hopefully) soon I am going to go see a half vacant Bradlees in Woodbury, NJ. Part of it is now a Staples.

i believe theres still a vacant caldor there in Woodbury,
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

NJxxJon

QuoteOriginally posted by Mobil
This looks like a Two Guys/Bradlees sign. Ironically, there was a Bradlees across the street from this plaza and it was never Two Guys.

That mall will die soon sadly. Went their last or 2 summers ago.
JN

Mobil

This Kmart looks like a Bradlees inside.

Compare it to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bewek4DUNGE

videogamer75

No, it was a J.M. Fields.

Mobil

Well of course, but Wikipedia says that many J.M. Fields became Jefferson Ward, then Bradlees. I doubt it because Jefferson Ward stores looked alike such as the former Two Guys they remodeled.

videogamer75

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
Wow. Did Bradlees ever build stores from the ground-up? All of the ones I have seen were something before Bradlees.

I think they did, actually. Look through this thread and you'll find pictures of three Bradlees in Egg Harbor Township, NJ, Hartford, CT, and New City, NY. All of these stores have the exact same building style and it's not one used by any of the old chains I've seen here.

Well of course, but Wikipedia says that many J.M. Fields became Jefferson Ward, then Bradlees. I doubt it because Jefferson Ward stores looked alike such as the former Two Guys they remodeled.

It was never a Jefferson Ward because when Bradlees was there they still had the roof with arches that J.M. Fields stores had.

greg8370

Groton, CT store #129 was built from the ground up.  Also East Haven, CT #890 was built from the ground up.

Mobil

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
Wow. Did Bradlees ever build stores from the ground-up? All of the ones I have seen were something before Bradlees.

I think they did, actually. Look through this thread and you'll find pictures of three Bradlees in Egg Harbor Township, NJ, Hartford, CT, and New City, NY. All of these stores have the exact same building style and it's not one used by any of the old chains I've seen here.

It was never a Jefferson Ward because when Bradlees was there they still had the roof with arches that J.M. Fields stores had.

I know, so I can't picture that as a Jefferson Ward. The Bradlees in Egg Harbor I doubt was originally Bradlees because they entered the Philadelphia area in 1985 when they bought Jefferson Ward. Right?

videogamer75

I really don't know, I was not born until after 1985. J.M. Fields went out in 1979, so maybe that was when they entered the Philly area,

Mobil

I really don't know, I was not born until after 1985. J.M. Fields went out in 1979, so maybe that was when they entered the Philly area,

There was a Woolco in this area that became Bradlees, but it opened in 1985. Jefferson Ward may have not closed until 1988 according to some sources. :huh:

TRJ22487

Would anybody be willing to make me a Bradlees t-shirt? I saw one on ebay years ago and was outbidded the last second. It even had the "A Stop & Shop Company" text on the front. I had wanted to wear it to the Walmart in my town when it first opened in the old Bradlees location as a joke. As the years have gone by however, it wouldn't be such a joke anymore, but an actual protest cry

I've trolled this board for years and I think I've seen custom made items for people. Anybody here that can do it for me? I'd love to pay the price for a white or black shirt with the logo on the front

I only went to one Bradlees in my life but I probably went there a couple times a week every week for about 6 or 7 years straight. It was the Keene, New Hampshire store, where Wal-Mart now is. I can picture how the inside of the store was perfectly still. I loved finding a few stray photos in this thread, but wis there were way more in better quality. I moved to Keene just as Rich's closed for good, and Woolworth's was long gone. The only other department store in the area was K-Mart (which is now gone also)

Keene used to be sooo primitive until the turn of this decade, the entire city was surrounded by marshes and wetlands. That is almost ALL gone now. The entire plaza that has Target, Price Chopper, Dick's, Borders, etc etc was hundreds of thosands of square feet of wetland, and no human ever went near there. Now it's completely paved. When Bradlees was in, that plaza was rarely overcrowded. Since it becamed Walmart the lot is always parked to the back. Back in the early 90's when I used to travel to Keene, before I lived there, I remember there was a two room movie theater next to the Burger King in the Bradlees plaza, but that is completely gone now.

The plaza across the street was a giant Toy Works. Every summer they used to have a fair in the parking lot. That stopped somewhere in the mid 90's. It became K.B. in the late 90's and the store reduced it's size when they knocked down the CVS next to it to become Petco. There was a supermarket where Staples/TJ Maxx now is, and I always thought it was Edwards but according to information online, Edwards was where Shaws is now, but I've always remembered Shaws as Shaws. Either way, this plaza is pretty much dead now despite being directly in the middle of Keene. Staples, TJ Maxx, Petco, and the abandoned Toy Works are what is left. It's a good sized parking lot and used to get much more attention

Keene had to remove all the four way intersections to replace them with roundabouts because our town has become so congested with all of the development that has been done over the past 10 years.

We used to be a really quiet little new england town when I first moved here, it felt like a city almost lost in time. I can't even come up with a single store that was the same as when I moved here besides Shaws....even that has remodeled obviously....heck they even gave McDonalds a makeover!

A few years back when I was still in high school I was going through old yearbooks in the principals office, and the 1996 yearbook had two pages of photos taken inside the Keene, NH Bradlees because a lot of seniors worked there. Unfortunately I remember all the photos being black and white and small, but I'd love to be able to see that yearbook again. I'm not sure how willing they would be to let me back inside the school again though with security being the way it is these days

These are the only two photos I've been able to find of the Keene location throughout this entire thread. Seeing the great shots that exist of so many locations I'm seeing in this thread, it kills me that these are the only two photos even in known existance of the Keene, NH one. Makes me want to slap myself for not taking dozens of photos back in the 90's. To the people that did take these photos though, any idea what year they are from?

I'm guessing the first one has to be pre-1995. The store next to it has always been Olympia Sports since I moved here in '95, and in this picture the store has no logo at all, which seems very strange. Now I've read Bradlees remodeled in 1995, which I personally don't remember happening, but I was young still, and had just moved here, though I always travled to Keene before. The first picture still looks just as I remember it looking in 2001, so they must have done the remodeling to the right of this picture or inside the store, because the front looks just the same to me minus a paintjob. I would guess the first picture to be 1992? . There used to be a tiny Brooks pharmacy squeezed between Bradlees and Shaws in the late 90's. When Walmart came in they completely knocked down the Brooks, but I'm unsure if Walmart or Shaws took up the space, I actually think Shaws has gotten bigger since I've lived here. That remodel must have happened around 2002 I'm guessing.

I can't believe how few photos of Keene in the 90's exists. Jumanji was shot here! We've still got the fake Parrish Shoes logo on a building

Mobil

When would this truck be from?

Mobil

This Bradlees/Jefferson Ward is a former Two Guys, and has been a Giant (same company as Stop & Shop) since summer 2002. The store to the left was a Drug Emporium, a former A&P, and is now a Gold's Gym.

Mobil

This one is also a former Two Guys/Jefferson Ward, and became Wal-Mart in 2004-2005. The store in front is a former Penn Fruit, now Pep Boys. The Pep Boys was remodeled around the time Wal-Mart opened. In the right of the shot is a former Rickel, now NWL.

Mobil

This Bradlees was vacant for five years until it became Forman Mills. There is a mystery abandoned store next to it. The Office Depot here is now closed and was also a former Rickel, but was remodeled to look like a standard Office Depot.

videogamer75

That Office Depot became a ''Cox Floors to Go'' store, which retained the Office Depot style. They have since re-opened in the former Mays Landing, NJ Kids R Us down the road, which I have pics of. Now THAT store is closing. Also, part of the old Rickel is now a Big Lots! store

Mobil

That Office Depot became a ''Cox Floors to Go'' store, which retained the Office Depot style. They have since re-opened in the former Mays Landing, NJ Kids R Us down the road, which I have pics of. Now THAT store is closing. Also, part of the old Rickel is now a Big Lots! store

I was afraid of that. However this does not seem like a relocation. Office Depot closed many stores in 2000, including ones in the Philadelphia area. I know another former Rickel that became a Big Lots on Route 130 somewhere. The Office Depot near me is also a former Kids R Us.

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by TRJ22487

I would guess the first picture to be 1992? . There used to be a tiny Brooks pharmacy squeezed between Bradlees and Shaws in the late 90's. When Walmart came in they completely knocked down the Brooks, but I'm unsure if Walmart or Shaws took up the space, I actually think Shaws has gotten bigger since I've lived here. That remodel must have happened around 2002 I'm guessing.

I can't believe how few photos of Keene in the 90's exists.

That first photo is a picture that i took off the web years ago.  It probably was from the commercial realestate website.  In my files, i saved the pictures in sept. 2002.

Anyway, here's an inside shot of the Keene Bradlees store.

TRJ22487

CTAmeshopper

WOW!!

that's rare!!!

Also it looks like Stop& Shop used a different logo on their products from the ones they use in the circulars and the store. This one MUST be from early 1964 and that odd logo must be the the logo they used before like from the 1950's to 1963.:cool:

videogamer75

That is old and rare, good find.