Bradlees

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

powersbt

QuoteOriginally posted by amesman
Now, in 2006.

It's gone now, huh. At least you got some photos of it before the renovation.

XISMZERO

I think it's pretty obvious they never destroyed the framework and scaffold of Bradlees. You can see it on Ashley Furniture very well. Also, note how the brown  wall behind the facade is the same. Still, huge improvements, in my opinion, a very uninspired look (like most modern day facades/renovations).
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Caldor1999

that bradlees was located right near  a wal mart a hugse mall and a old caldor still vacant
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

amesman

QuoteOriginally posted by XISMZERO
I think it's pretty obvious they never destroyed the framework and scaffold of Bradlees. You can see it on Ashley Furniture very well. Also, note how the brown  wall behind the facade is the same. Still, huge improvements, in my opinion, a very uninspired look (like most modern day facades/renovations).

Notice the rightmost lightpost in both pictures. They're the same. see if you can tell hehe.

powersbt

QuoteOriginally posted by amesman

Notice the rightmost lightpost in both pictures. They're the same. see if you can tell hehe.

It took me a few minutes, but yes, you're right. It is the same. Good Call!!

Caldor1999

wish that bradlees was still trhere when i visted middletown btw after looking at all thougsh bradlees pics they really neverre put in time to redue there stiores lalot of them looked sooo ugly on the outside at least
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

XISMZERO

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
wish that bradlees was still trhere when i visted middletown btw after looking at all thougsh bradlees pics they really neverre put in time to redue there stiores lalot of them looked sooo ugly on the outside at least

I'm not sure what a true, original Bradlees store looked like (or if they had any original concept stores in their heyday (not in the later 90s, when they remodeled some existing stores). A lot of the stores in my area were once owned by Two Guys, Kings and Jefferson Ward.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999

I'm not sure what a true, original Bradlees store looked like (or if they had any original concept stores in their heyday (not in the later 90s, when they remodeled some existing stores). A lot of the stores in my area were once owned by Two Guys, Kings and Jefferson Ward.

there were a few bradleees stores that looked teh same but caldoer always usaly had  acompact store wit the pillers on each sides
Caldor Forever!

TRU7536

I happen to find this cool website last night. I happen to find out some cool stuff about former stores in Manchester. Did anyone know that the old Bradlees in Manchester was home to bradlees, stop and shop and marshalls! I didn't know about the Marshalls being in that plaza. Marshalls left along time ago and so did stop and shop. Bradlees closed in 2001 (I think). The last store to leave that ghost of a plaza was cvs, that left in 2003. The plaza was a hot spot back in the day. Also the old heartland grocery store plaza was also home to Rickels( I didn't know that). Their torn all that down, because their a bew BJS their. I loved that website, I didn't know about these things.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by TRU7536
I happen to find this cool website last night. I happen to find out some cool stuff about former stores in Manchester. Did anyone know that the old Bradlees in Manchester was home to bradlees, stop and shop and marshalls! I didn't know about the Marshalls being in that plaza. Marshalls left along time ago and so did stop and shop. Bradlees closed in 2001 (I think). The last store to leave that ghost of a plaza was cvs, that left in 2003. The plaza was a hot spot back in the day. Also the old heartland grocery store plaza was also home to Rickels( I didn't know that). Their torn all that down, because their a bew BJS their. I loved that website, I didn't know about these things.

whats teh web sight ?
Caldor Forever!

XISMZERO

QuoteOriginally posted by TRU7536

Was it a PDF file? If so, I've seen that. If not, and it was a website, come on in and share! Anyho, I have hundreds of photos from the wasteland plaza. Even with life all around you, it still feels like you've survived nuclear war. In my day, I've seen very little that compares to it with Caldor in East Patchogue, NY coming close but that too much.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

TRU7536

Ok i went back to that website i was talking about, and started to post their. Their is talk that COSTCO(or hoever you spell it) is going to take over that whole plaza. They said that someone bought out that plaza! So i would start getting your cameras ready, because it going down soon!

XISMZERO

Here's the state of the dead side Manchester Parkade with Bradlees in the middle. Picture taken July 30, 2006. It's an astonishing site even with life all around it, once you step inside the plaza it's an eerily true forgotten retail haven.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Found in a basement, another typical Bradlees price sticker.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

A closer close-up of the Bradlees logo. Did they ever change their logo over the years? I seem to always remember it like this.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

powersbt

A closer close-up of the Bradlees logo. Did they ever change their logo over the years? I seem to always remember it like this.

Yes, they had another logo in the early years. Looked similar to the one now, still red lettering. Letters were less fancy. I'm trying to think of where I saw it.

XISMZERO

QuoteOriginally posted by powersbt
...they had another logo in the early years. Looked similar to the one now, still red lettering. Letters were less fancy. I'm trying to think of where I saw it.

You might be thinking of the former Fairfield, Connecticut store which is pictured somewhere on the forums here by SiteRide. As far as I know, that logo was probably a temporary; it's far too generic/MS Word looking to serve as a company logo.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

powersbt

QuoteOriginally posted by powersbt
...they had another logo in the early years. Looked similar to the one now, still red lettering. Letters were less fancy. I'm trying to think of where I saw it.

You might be thinking of the former Fairfield, Connecticut store which is pictured somewhere on the forums here by SiteRide. As far as I know, that logo was probably a temporary; it's far too generic/MS Word looking to serve as a company logo.

I want to say that I saw it in an old Advertisement. It was something that wasn't Doctored up in Photoshop or anything like it. I'll keep my eyes posted for it.

store215

Heres the pic of another bradlees logo (posted here before)
http://www.siteride.com/srpl/t_snapshot.pl?subNum=12209000265&tenNum=12209000265.0005

this was probably a low volume, low budget store, so they just slapped up whatever on it. I havent seen this logo used anywhere else.

powersbt

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
Heres the pic of another bradlees logo (posted here before)
http://www.siteride.com/srpl/t_snapshot.pl?subNum=12209000265&tenNum=12209000265.0005

this was probably a low volume, low budget store, so they just slapped up whatever on it. I havent seen this logo used anywhere else.

That was the logo that I was thinking of, but I have seen it elsewhere as well.

Marc82

This weekend they're using the old Bradlees in Hartford, CT for a "Giant Liquidation Sale" http://megaliquidationclub.com/index.php?S=Hartford

XISMZERO

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc82
This weekend they're using the old Bradlees in Hartford, CT for a "Giant Liquidation Sale" http://megaliquidationclub.com/index.php?S=Hartford

It's almost worth risking my life to go see the interior of the store. Gosh, by now the store has to be absolutely decrepit inside with all kinds of hazardous molds and manifestations...

Here's an interesting tip off by Daniel Fife; a genuine Bradlees label scar - on a Marshall's in Danbury, CT in the Berkshire Shopping Center. It features the same unusual logo that was formerly on the Fairfield, CT store (posted somewhere on these forums).

The weird thing about this one is that the Bradlees is actually were the neighboring Wal-Mart is now so it's strange to have a Bradlees scar on the Marshalls building...
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

I've distorted the image colors to bring out the scarring a little better. Kudos to D fife for uncovering this difficult to find scar...

Edit: The label scar appears to be the original logo from the late 60s/early 70s.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Here's what the Marshalls looked like. There's a SiteRide photograph posted somewhere on these forums. This store is generally what the former Bradlees looked like, except this one is smaller.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Whoser

There was 2 in New London, on both sides of the highway. One used to be a Zayre then a Bradlees at the New London Mall which closed and then the New London mall turned into a Strip mall, The other Bradlees was turned into a Burlington Coat Factory, There was one in Groton which was replaced by Kohl's.

greg8370

The above post is incorrect.  The first ever Bradlees store  (#880) was is now indeed a Burlington Coat.  That location moved across the highway to where TWO GUYS was and not a Zayre.  This happened in 1982.  
In Groton the first Bradlees in town was on the site of an old Orbits Dept. Store now a TJ Maxx and Goodwill store.  It moved up the hill to the site of the old Groton Drive-In in 1987.  I had the pleaure of working in all of those Bradlees stores and also Two Guys.

XISMZERO

Here's the former, long vacant Bradlees in Hartford, Connecticut on Park Street.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Bradlees; Hartford, CT on Park Street. The store is visible off Eastbound I-84. After much hesitation, I finally came down to see it. The store has reportedly been vacant since 1996.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Bradlees; Hartford, CT. The road sign on the other side of the plaza shows no history of a former logo. The vacant store was also most recently used for a mega liquidation sale, but remains shuttered beside an active Save-A-Lot store.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Marc82

Cool, Nick! Great looking skyscraper as well. Holla at your boy after the holidays!