Two Malls Are One?

Started by storehistoryguy, December 18, 2005, 02:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

storehistoryguy

Discuss.
Anchor Stores: Bloomingdale's, Sears, Strawbridge's and Clothier, Nordstorm, Macy's, Lord & Taylor, JC Penny and Neiman Marcus

storehistoryguy

dayville81

Found it strange that King of Prussia is two malls. "The Court" and "The Plaza". I believe at one time Macy's anchored both, I remember going into Macy's from one mall and leaving the store going out into a totally different mall. That was before The Plaza expanded to include Neiman Marcus, Lord and Taylor, and Nordstrom. They have a covered walkway between the two malls but it brings you out on a crosswalk. I do remember the expansion being open last time I was there and having to walk on a crosswalk and almost getting runover! Couldnt they build a skywalk to officially connect the two malls? I also remember that The Court's 3rd department store which is now "The Pavilion". I was in this part of the mall on the lower level, only Borders was open with drywall covering the rest and the old chandlier from the old department store still there. A cone was placed in front of the esculator and the elevator had caution tape over it. They didnt want people on the upper level in this section since it was under construction and no stores were open but I went up the inoperable esculator to look around. Got strange looks from the construction workers but I wasnt in the middle of the area they were working on at the time and didnt stay too long. Just a curious person, what can I say?

KyleRF

What a huge mall! I went there  last week! Other than Palisades, it is probably the largest mall I have ever seen!

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by KyleRF
What a huge mall! I went there  last week! Other than Palisades, it is probably the largest mall I have ever seen!

i would liove to go to this mall were is it located it seems to have alot tof upscale stores withc i like lol and i actley live near the Palisades mall and i dont like it that much if a mall doset have a macys in it i dont consider it a mall
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy
Discuss.
Anchor Stores: Bloomingdale's, Sears, Strawbridge's and Clothier, Nordstorm, Macy's, Lord & Taylor, JC Penny and Neiman Marcus

macy's indoor in king of prussia

from Associated Press of http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060511/1027400.asp

tomasher

I loved King of Prussia Mall - specifically, the Plaza - before the renovations and expansion.  In the 1980's, they had a Kiddie City toy store in the basement with a Woolworth close by.

I haven't been there recently, but to me, it kind of lost something over the years.

d_fife

I went to this mall on saturday and it was huge huge huge.

the plaza section was in indoor section that was 2 levels with many hallways (I got last and the mall is overwealming) and that section had neiman macus, nordstrom, lord and taylor, strawbridge's, sears, jc penny and many smaller stores and parking garages and the court (There is a walkway to the court and plaza) that is 2 levels with blooomingdale's and macys' and borders and cheese cake factory. I spent 4 hours in this mall (I Am a picky shopper). but strawbridge's was open when macy's was there (But in the leigh valley mall I saw strawbridge's clsoed when macy's was still there). by noon to one this mall had no parking spaces left. the biggest mall I have ever been to.

KyleRF

are they opening up a Boscov's here and when is the Boscov's opening in the Leigh Valley Mall?

store215

I believe the Strawbridge's store is stuck in some kind of lease agreement where they are not allowed to close until Macy's finds someone to replace the space. It is odd that Boscov didn't want this store, but they already operate a store in the nearby Plymouth Meeting Mall

KyleRF

Update:

The former Strawbridge's will now be home to a new J.C. Penney and a Fortunoff. The old J.C. Penney will be home to a Target.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by KyleRF
Update:

The former Strawbridge's will now be home to a new J.C. Penney and a Fortunoff. The old J.C. Penney will be home to a Target.

WHEN WILL THEY OPEN. OH MAN THIS IS MY FAVORITE MALL I HAVE BEEN TO SO FAR. THESE REPLACES ARE GOOD. I HAD A FEELING A TARGET would come, but I went to a greatland one in plymouth meeting.

KyleRF

Possibly in the fall. Target is also taking over the vacant Strawbridge's in the Springfield Mall in Pennsylvania. It should also be noted that Boscov's is interested in part of the vacant Strawbridge's in center Phildelphia. (courtesty of http://www.kyw1060.com/pages/58557.php?)

store215

Im suprised Boscov's is interested in returning to Philadelphia itself. They used to have a few stoes in the city, but they all closed. The last store being a Boscov's outlet in the Franklin Mills Mall, which closed in Jan of this year and became a Steve and Barry's

d_fife

how is this mall of picture taking?

I am freaking out about this. I was never caught, I went to the King of prussia mall on a two week road trip (I went to cleveland, erie pa, niagara falls, buffalo, rochester ny, southwestern ny, king of prussia mall, allentown, phillipsburg and I took 8,000 pictures with my digital, I drove this myself) last june and the mall was huge and I took pictures and if I was caught would I have been asked to leave, how much of the time does that happen. If I did not leave and they called the police, could I leave and then not be charged with tresspassing. if you are asked to leave, do they follow you out to your car? if your car is in the mall parking lot, would they remember the car if the saw my car and remember who the occupant is? I am freaking about if that had happened (I was even nearly paralized by this thought all yesterday and today and it took me until 5 am to fall asleep due to it). do they warn you of tresspassing if you don't leave. I have been to 100 malls in my life and have only been caught in like 2 3 or 4. last year one happened in the great northern mall in clay ny. I know they cannot confenscate your camera, but at that time my memory stick (one of the 4 I used on that trip) had like 2,500-2,700 pictures on it (And it had pictures all the way from cleveland to king of prussia) which was hard work.

I am stewing about that If I was caught in the king of prussia mall, what would have happeend as that was a zenieth of my trip. that mall was a big part of the trip and had 400 stores and 8 anchors. the mall was busy that day. I saw a few mall security cars. if you take pictures from within your car windows rolled up, are you still at liable for getting it for it? would they notice? are they more likely to kick you out when you take pictures inside the mall or outside?

when it says photography, filming require the prior written consent of mall management, how much of the time do they approve picture taking? I only take pictures outside the mall because of getting nailed if I do it inside and If I want to take the pictures inside I will go to mall management for permission (I did that in towoson mall in maryland last november and the manager was hesitant to, I wanted those few pictures as the inside was unique). I was told that "you can't take pictures of storefronts". I know that malls are this way becfause of advertising and I GUESS THE STORES DO NOT WANT THEIR DISPLAYS TAKEN PICTURES OF. the way I take pictures, outside the mall, what if the chances that if I ask for permission they would say no. I am also an out of stater in those malls.

XISMZERO

You shouldn't stress it too much because it's simple if you follow these rudimentary/cautionary rules.

Be discreet but not too discreet to make pedestrians suspicious.

Be wary of cameras; if you can see which way they're positioned, get behind them. If there's a camera, be quick and or save those areas for last. Try and avoid cameras though (obviously).

Always keep a sharp eye for security and know what they look and dress like. Sometimes they can might just sneek up behind you and you can't always see it coming.

Some mall policies just don't care about photo taking and some do. I believe it also varies between guard(s). The only way to find out (if there's no written proclaimation is to just shoot away.

At no time should security get irrationally overzealous and at no time should they EVER take your digital media or camera. If you ever have an unpleasent experience, talk to a higher up about the way you were treated. You shouldn't be treated like a unibomber.

Do not submit anything to them no matter what. Dont know about you but I don't want some rent-a-cop taking my $300 camera.

Bottom line: If there's nothing saying you cannot, just do it. If there is and you get caught, be prepared to face some sort of confrontation. Again, do not allow any form of security to take your belongings.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

d_fife

WHAT IS THE CHANCES THEY CAN SPOT YOU IF YOU ARE TAKING PICTURES IN THE PARKING LOT FROM WHILE THEY (SECURITY GUARD) ARE IN THE MALL if they are like 100 feet from the entrance and how close are they usually when they are in the mall near the entrance.,

i am stilling obessing about what if I got caught taking pictures at this mall. the only malls I have been nailed at doing this were the Great northern mall near syracuse and holyoke mall.

and ABOUT THE SURVEYLANCE CAMERAS!!!!!!! HOW OFTEN DO THEY NOTICE THAT (SOMEONE TAKING PICTURES)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by XISMZERO
You shouldn't stress it too much because it's simple if you follow these rudimentary/cautionary rules.

Be discreet but not too discreet to make pedestrians suspicious.

Be wary of cameras; if you can see which way they're positioned, get behind them. If there's a camera, be quick and or save those areas for last. Try and avoid cameras though (obviously).

Always keep a sharp eye for security and know what they look and dress like. Sometimes they can might just sneek up behind you and you can't always see it coming.

Some mall policies just don't care about photo taking and some do. I believe it also varies between guard(s). The only way to find out (if there's no written proclaimation is to just shoot away.

At no time should security get irrationally overzealous and at no time should they EVER take your digital media or camera. If you ever have an unpleasent experience, talk to a higher up about the way you were treated. You shouldn't be treated like a unibomber.

Do not submit anything to them no matter what. Dont know about you but I don't want some rent-a-cop taking my $300 camera.

Bottom line: If there's nothing saying you cannot, just do it. If there is and you get caught, be prepared to face some sort of confrontation. Again, do not allow any form of security to take your belongings.

XISMZERO

A few more things I'd like to add. It's ideal if you're going to shoot at malls to go on early weekdays. The general population is mothers/childrens and elderly. Elderly are typically nossy and might stare at you and/or feel compelled to report you which could be a problem but I usually try to avoid them. Security is also next to non-existant on Monday~Thursday mornings because the turnout of people is so low.

I did this recently at Crystal Mall and was able to get some fantastic pictures without any inside security trouble. Outside was another issue. They had a patroller going around but I tried my best to watch out for (the old man).

Also, be wary of any mall personnel. I recently came across a maintenance worker at another CT mall (Hawley Lane). He questioned me but when I offered to submit my license in exchange for leverage, he declined and said I could take my photos as long as I don't reproduce them/sell them or use them for competitive purposes. Well, he can't prove that I will or will not. I put them on my website, easily anyone can front from a site but my intentions were good. But he didn't/doesnt know that...

Outside pictures are usually easier than indoor. You have to employ most of the same cautions as you are inside; there may be cameras, and too often flashing patrol trucks/security who will at best tell you to stop if they give a hoot.

HOWEVER. If you stay carside, and keep circling the parking lot, your chances of getting caught are lessened but not absolute.

But be warned, there are cameras close to the mall and they are monitored. Any suspicious behavior (repeating circling, stop-n-going, etc) could be monitored amd they will dispatch patrollers to investigate.

I recently had to watch out at Eastfield Mall in Springfield, Mass. (by far some of the worst anti-camera guys out there) and Holyoke Mall (ok, these guys are very strict, but they dont say no shooting outright like Eastfield does). Get this: I asked head of security (watching the cameras) if I could take a picture of the center court and he ardently said "no/cannot take pictures". Now being me, I would've taken them anyway but the mall had security on high and there are cameras everywhere (also had the police there too!).

Now this isnt to deter people who want to take pictures. It's simply because Springfield is known home to a lot of crime and gang activity especially at the surrounding malls (Eastfield and Holyoke). It also doesn't help I went on a Sunday afternoon - when the mall was booming.

All in all, I wouldn't worry in the least. Mall photography isn't extreme nor is it a crime. In America, there's the 1st amendment and in this case it's freedom of the press. Also, you're on public property, albeit privately owned, well so is Disney World. It's just any eccentric photography that isnt in a touristy area (like a theme park or NYC) is seen as taboo. Sad, but thats how society is.

The best thing most security will do is tell you to stop. If there are no prior posting warnings, I don't think it would be kind of them to boot you out. If there are, they've got leverage over you. I will wait to see what happens if they ever try to delete my media like whats happened to some other members on ours forums (even thought I usually play dumb).
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

d_fife

because of this mall being big and crowded, how are mall security do you think with seeing someone taking pictures?  it said say among the rules photography, videotaping and filming require the prior written consent of mall management. how are they with that

but if you refuse to leave and they catch you (or if they catch you back on the property and taking pictures), would they call the police and if so will the police take away my camera and the memory stick? can the police do that and can you fight them with that?

A few more things I'd like to add. It's ideal if you're going to shoot at malls to go on early weekdays. The general population is mothers/childrens and elderly. Elderly are typically nossy and might stare at you and/or feel compelled to report you which could be a problem but I usually try to avoid them. Security is also next to non-existant on Monday~Thursday mornings because the turnout of people is so low.

I did this recently at Crystal Mall and was able to get some fantastic pictures without any inside security trouble. Outside was another issue. They had a patroller going around but I tried my best to watch out for (the old man).

Also, be wary of any mall personnel. I recently came across a maintenance worker at another CT mall (Hawley Lane). He questioned me but when I offered to submit my license in exchange for leverage, he declined and said I could take my photos as long as I don't reproduce them/sell them or use them for competitive purposes. Well, he can't prove that I will or will not. I put them on my website, easily anyone can front from a site but my intentions were good. But he didn't/doesnt know that...

Outside pictures are usually easier than indoor. You have to employ most of the same cautions as you are inside; there may be cameras, and too often flashing patrol trucks/security who will at best tell you to stop if they give a hoot.

HOWEVER. If you stay carside, and keep circling the parking lot, your chances of getting caught are lessened but not absolute.

But be warned, there are cameras close to the mall and they are monitored. Any suspicious behavior (repeating circling, stop-n-going, etc) could be monitored amd they will dispatch patrollers to investigate.

I recently had to watch out at Eastfield Mall in Springfield, Mass. (by far some of the worst anti-camera guys out there) and Holyoke Mall (ok, these guys are very strict, but they dont say no shooting outright like Eastfield does). Get this: I asked head of security (watching the cameras) if I could take a picture of the center court and he ardently said "no/cannot take pictures". Now being me, I would've taken them anyway but the mall had security on high and there are cameras everywhere (also had the police there too!).

Now this isnt to deter people who want to take pictures. It's simply because Springfield is known home to a lot of crime and gang activity especially at the surrounding malls (Eastfield and Holyoke). It also doesn't help I went on a Sunday afternoon - when the mall was booming.

All in all, I wouldn't worry in the least. Mall photography isn't extreme nor is it a crime. In America, there's the 1st amendment and in this case it's freedom of the press. Also, you're on public property, albeit privately owned, well so is Disney World. It's just any eccentric photography that isnt in a touristy area (like a theme park or NYC) is seen as taboo. Sad, but thats how society is.

The best thing most security will do is tell you to stop. If there are no prior posting warnings, I don't think it would be kind of them to boot you out. If there are, they've got leverage over you. I will wait to see what happens if they ever try to delete my media like whats happened to some other members on ours forums (even thought I usually play dumb).

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
because of this mall being big and crowded, how are mall security do you think with seeing someone taking pictures?  it said say among the rules photography, videotaping and filming require the prior written consent of mall management. how are they with that

but if you refuse to leave and they catch you (or if they catch you back on the property and taking pictures), would they call the police and if so will the police take away my camera and the memory stick? can the police do that and can you fight them with that?

\

i dont see whats sooo bad about takeing pictures of malls and such i mean were not doing anything rong were no t distryog the proptiey or plaing to blow it up
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

XISMZERO

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999

i dont see whats sooo bad about takeing pictures of malls and such i mean were not doing anything rong were no t distryog the proptiey or plaing to blow it up

None of us would do these things or even take it to that extreme but there are real life offenders who take pictures to "steal" ideas from stores and malls. I take pictures and posting them on the internet very much enables others to see and copy. So partially, I'm a threat to whomever I take a picture of. Most malls are very arden about protecting what's rightfully theirs and they most likely have the right to do so. But... you can't stop everyone (see my bit about cell phone cameras below) so they stop whomever they can.

It's a complicated issue that seems relatively simple. I've thought long about this and pretty much have an answer for whatever their defense is. Guards and security can't possibly be that naive about cell phone cameras and their inconspicious advancements over the years. So what next? Ban cell phones from malls? I suppose it really depends on the discretion of the guard(s).

I've heard some horrible stories by some fellow shooters like I and have been a apart of some innocent repremands by guards. I've never been treated horribly and I shouldn't ever have to be. Any mall personnel should always be polite and understanding when they ask anyone not to do something. That's about being professional - you don't want to treat your guests with such unkindness.

It really boils down to this: if it says "no" then you need respect that and if you chose not to, be prepared to deal with consequences. If it says nothing: free fire zone (until you're then caught then you can state your case). The general rule is not to cause them trouble; it's their mall and if they don't want you doing something, then don't. Still, they have no right to seize your property. I've been to some malls which have seen me take pictures and don't care (both Taubman centers in CT - and maybe because Taubman invites people to shoot movies at their malls like that Woody Allen movie shot at Stamford Town Center). I've been to malls which are very strict, and most will not allow pictures if they see it.

I like talking about this topic because I think it's important to preserve history and I tend to be old-fashioned about the way I see shopping malls - not just a place to shop but one to admire for its lost arts/antiquities. The guards don't give a hoot, and they shouldn't; their jobs are to follow orders. I usually just do what I do because of my passion.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

d_fife

do you think security does the photography must be approved at this mall as well  (carries it out) because 20 percent of the mall's sales are tourists and it had 400 stores. i had to be very careful when I took the pictures. the last mall I got it in was the great northern mall in syracuse (i got it in the holyoke mall 3.5 years ago with taking pictures as well).  I am still stressing of the fact that If I was at this mall like 10 minutes earlier, or one or two hours before I was there WOULD HAVE I GOTTEN CAUGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What would have they most likely have done? say get out or stop taking pictures or go see the mall management? I was from out of state. seeing the mall management would have made me loose more time as that day I was behind schedule as my sense of direction of east and west cost me over an hour.

if I returned to the mall If i was kicked out, would they have the police take away my camera? If I am in my car, can they still get me? As I am in my own property (my car).

however I was taking pictures of this wal-mart and a security car drove by and saw me taking pictures and did not do anything. my dad says some feel its not worth the trouble.

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999

None of us would do these things or even take it to that extreme but there are real life offenders who take pictures to "steal" ideas from stores and malls. I take pictures and posting them on the internet very much enables others to see and copy. So partially, I'm a threat to whomever I take a picture of. Most malls are very arden about protecting what's rightfully theirs and they most likely have the right to do so. But... you can't stop everyone (see my bit about cell phone cameras below) so they stop whomever they can.

It's a complicated issue that seems relatively simple. I've thought long about this and pretty much have an answer for whatever their defense is. Guards and security can't possibly be that naive about cell phone cameras and their inconspicious advancements over the years. So what next? Ban cell phones from malls? I suppose it really depends on the discretion of the guard(s).

I've heard some horrible stories by some fellow shooters like I and have been a apart of some innocent repremands by guards. I've never been treated horribly and I shouldn't ever have to be. Any mall personnel should always be polite and understanding when they ask anyone not to do something. That's about being professional - you don't want to treat your guests with such unkindness.

It really boils down to this: if it says "no" then you need respect that and if you chose not to, be prepared to deal with consequences. If it says nothing: free fire zone (until you're then caught then you can state your case). The general rule is not to cause them trouble; it's their mall and if they don't want you doing something, then don't. Still, they have no right to seize your property. I've been to some malls which have seen me take pictures and don't care (both Taubman centers in CT - and maybe because Taubman invites people to shoot movies at their malls like that Woody Allen movie shot at Stamford Town Center). I've been to malls which are very strict, and most will not allow pictures if they see it.

I like talking about this topic because I think it's important to preserve history and I tend to be old-fashioned about the way I see shopping malls - not just a place to shop but one to admire for its lost arts/antiquities. The guards don't give a hoot, and they shouldn't; their jobs are to follow orders. I usually just do what I do because of my passion.

I also heard they may put saks 5th avenue in the old strawbridge's that is temporarily macy's.

d_fife

ANSWER THIS QUESTION!!! IF the groundskeepers see you taking pictures, WILL THEY CALL MALL SECURITY AND WOULD MALL SECURITY CATCH THE PERSON.