Jamesway

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

videogamer75

Here is the vacant Jamesway in Williamstown, NJ. It's actually quite clean looking for being vacant 12 years!

Ameskid

QuoteOriginally posted by DefunctStoreKing
Jamesway was a great place to shop, what things did Jamesway sell?
Jamesway was a discount department store, much like Ames.
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

videogamer75

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
Jamesway really did not go out of business because of Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart had very few stores, (if any) in this part of the country (meaning east coast area states) around 1995. One of the first Wal-Mart stores in the Philadelphia area wasn't built until 1997

Well, the Wal-Mart in Turnersville, NJ opened in 1991. It was the first WM in the state. They had a really aggressive opening sale too.

mikey7290

QuoteOriginally posted by videogamer75
Here is the vacant Jamesway in Williamstown, NJ. It's actually quite clean looking for being vacant 12 years!

The Massena NY Jamesway, which is now a P&C (shown above) looked just like this store here before the renovations were started.

shakethis1234

jamesway was more like kmart walmart i live down the road from one in fulton ny 80,000 sf they had a good size garden center toy dept they even sold birds which i dont understand y that store was one of the first ones to go because that store was the only discount/dept store in the city the former one in oswego now P&C did a full remodel then closed in the same year when walmart announce they were comming they closed P&C gutted the store kept frame up

Caldor1999

were did you find that !!! i sould really go cheack it out sometime i wonder if they left anything behind inside
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Caldor1999

heres a pic i found on flickr of the inside of a jamesway back in 1988 it gives you a clear idea of what the store was like inside
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

videogamer75

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999

were did you find that !!! i sould really go cheack it out sometime i wonder if they left anything behind inside

I took it on August 2, 2008. It's from my Flickr account, Nintendo85. There's also an abandoned Acme in the same plaza, and I am also curious as to what's inside.....

It's in a distressed old plaza that doesn't have any anchor stores anymore, just small stores such as a fashion bug, a pizza place and a cafe, and a CVS Pharmacy in the parking lot. All the retail stores have moved up to Turnersville, NJ about 5-10 minutes up the road.

videogamer75

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
here is what was jamesway in bath ny

Is that red building in the background a classic KFC???? It sure looks like one!

C. Fontaine

Caldor1999

anyone have any clue were this jamesway was i wanna say it became a ames because of the style of the store i found the picture from

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JameswayStores
Caldor Forever!

videogamer75

I'm pretty sure that's somewhere in northeast Pennsylvania, it is actually from someone's blog, I can't seem to find it right now.

Mobil

anyone have any clue were this jamesway was i wanna say it became a ames because of the style of the store i found the picture from

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JameswayStores

That Jamesway is the same one in the picture with the labelscar that is now a Big Lots. Part of it is also now a Family Dollar. The store is in Dunmore, PA (near Scranton) in a former Grant City and later King's. It can be found on the blog "Wyoming Valley Photos".

Mobil

QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy
A former Jamesway in Cornwells Heights, Pa.. Prior to being a Jamesway it was a Woolco. To bad its a Home Depot today. It was completly gutted.

http://www.tomasher.net/deadretail.html

That Jamesway must have closed in 1991. It was a Price Club store for a brief time, a chain that was sold to Costco in 1992 and closed several stores then. There was a Jamesway in Claymont, Delaware, which was also a Woolco and is now a Home Depot. The Jamesway closed in 1995, however, and then became a Woolworth Outlet for a short time.

videogamer75

This is the Williamstown, NJ Jamesway again. I did not notice this last time, but some company called Castleford Tailors Ltd. is now occupying part of this building. Notice the white cement covering up some of the old Jamesway doors.

NJxxJon

This is the Williamstown, NJ Jamesway again. I did not notice this last time, but some company called Castleford Tailors Ltd. is now occupying part of this building. Notice the white cement covering up some of the old Jamesway doors.

Those Lights look like they were re-done as well.....ha
JN

videogamer75

And here is what used to be Jamesway in hammonton NJ. it is now shop rite and it opened as jamesway in the early 1970s.

Mobil

When did they use this logo? And does anyone know if the variations of their usual logo were from different times? There was the one with the J in the orange and blue box, the one with the blue letters underlined, and the white/turquoise logo from their carts.

powersbt

QuoteOriginally posted by Mobil
When did they use this logo? And does anyone know if the variations of their usual logo were from different times? There was the one with the J in the orange and blue box, the one with the blue letters underlined, and the white/turquoise logo from their carts.

That logo is older than the one with the J in the Box. Oneonta NY's Jamesway had this Original logo all the way to it's GOB.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by powersbt

That logo is older than the one with the J in the Box. Oneonta NY's Jamesway had this Original logo all the way to it's GOB.

after it closed the logo would still light up at night i remember seeing this back in 1998
Caldor Forever!

powersbt

after it closed the logo would still light up at night i remember seeing this back in 1998

Yes, I almost think it did too.

Caldor1999

Yes, I almost think it did too.

come to think of it they left alot of the shelving behind and they left most of the lights on  and the lot was over grown with plants too bad its gone now
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

heres the carmel NY jamesway i thought idd never see a picture of it ever again this was probley takening back in 1996 or 1997  thiss is how i found out about jamesway
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

heres the carmel NY jamesway i thought idd never see a picture of it ever again this was probley takening back in 1996 or 1997  thiss is how i found out about jamesway

heres what it became this pic is from 2004
Caldor Forever!

Mobil

Was this logo from the 60's?

Mobil

Which logo came first?
This:

Mobil

powersbt

Your pictures are in the correct order from oldest to newest Logos.

Caldor1999

Which logo came first?
This:

this logo was the last one they used before the chain

the carmel ny one had that same logo i still cant believe i found a picture of it
Caldor Forever!

NJxxJon

Or this?

I still want to see this one in person. Saw that on another website and its in NJ apparently
JN