Jamesway

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

powersbt

QuoteOriginally posted by StarSage
QuoteOriginally posted by powersbt
QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
Sounds cool! Have an address or other info?

The road that it would be on would be NYS Rt. 14 Between Watkins Glen and the Next town South of it, which on the map is Montour Falls. The store may have been a bit farther south than Montour Falls. I remember having to stop there at that parking lot of the Jamesway, probably to turn around.

I'm originally from that general area. and while I'm not familiar with the exact location in question, I do know that there was a fairly new Jamesway in Bath, NY (within an hour west of there) that seems like it opened just a couple of years before the chain shut down. This store was originally a King's and is now a True Value. I have some toys I bought from there that are still in the original packaging and have the Jamesway price stickers

Hmmm, no, I'm positive the one that I'm thinking of was not in Bath, not that I'm saying there wasn't one there, you'd know better than I would, but the one I was thinking of I remember seeing while I was in Watkins Glen that week. It sounds similar to the one you described, being fairly modern compared to many others. The last time I was in the area was in 2001, so this is going back a few years and back then I wasn't a retail Buff like I am now. I know we were going to Grand Union in a town south of Watkins. This Jamesway would have been on the right side travelling south on NYS Route 14.

Being familiar with Bath, perhaps you could shed some light on a Closed Grocery Store there. Was there in 2001 also, In a plaza, which was fairly dead. Trying to remember other businesses nearby. I believe there was a Dunkin Donuts around the corner.

C. Fontaine

Here's a pretty sweet Jamesway labelscar!

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by C. Fontaine
were is that jamesway?
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by C. Fontaine

Wow, they could at least put a coat of paint over that, but that's Big Lots  ..;)

Caldor1999

lol any one have any jameswya pictures lol its sooo hard to find any now a days
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

KyleRF

I may be only 13 years old, but I rememebr Jamesway quite well. I was born in 1992, and I used to live in Dover, New Jersey. An Ames was formerly there, and before that it was a Jamesway. I do not know what it is now as I moved to North Carolina afterward and never went back to visit.

Jamesway was a great store. I always used to go there to get out of the house. It was very big and had everything I needed, especially toys. I wish it never closed!

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
here is the jamesway in ledgewood nj

from http://www.siteride.com/srpl/p_snapshot.pl?lm=listing&resbox=1140828818&subNum=50208000183

OMG i havent seen any diffrent jamesway pics before!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if u can find any more form this sight please post them!!!!!!!!!
Caldor Forever!

BillyGr

Not from that site - but here are a couple shots of the (Very Former) Jamesway in Rotterdam, NY (On Curry Road - Curry Road Shopping Center).  This store closed quite some time before the chain went out (so probably late 80's I'd guess) and the building has not been used since.

The first shot is of the front of the Jamesway section, the second shows the left end of the building with two large garage doors (I don't know if they did auto repairs as many of the older stores did, or if this might have been a delivery area - there doesn't appear to be much of a road leading to the rear of the building), and the third shows the joined to the right side portion
(this was a grocery store - most likely Price Chopper since:
A: They have a newer store up the road and
B: There was a Golub Corp security van driving in the parking lot).

In addition to these two buildings, there is a section that runs perpindicular to the road (the Jamesway/Price Chopper face the road) with a (still open) bank and a (not sure if open) card shop.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by BillyGr
Not from that site - but here are a couple shots of the (Very Former) Jamesway in Rotterdam, NY (On Curry Road - Curry Road Shopping Center).  This store closed quite some time before the chain went out (so probably late 80's I'd guess) and the building has not been used since.

The first shot is of the front of the Jamesway section, the second shows the left end of the building with two large garage doors (I don't know if they did auto repairs as many of the older stores did, or if this might have been a delivery area - there doesn't appear to be much of a road leading to the rear of the building), and the third shows the joined to the right side portion
(this was a grocery store - most likely Price Chopper since:
A: They have a newer store up the road and
B: There was a Golub Corp security van driving in the parking lot).

In addition to these two buildings, there is a section that runs perpindicular to the road (the Jamesway/Price Chopper face the road) with a (still open) bank and a (not sure if open) card shop.

wow i cant beileve that store is tsill there afert 10 years
Caldor Forever!

BillyGr

OK, the first shot looks like an empty field - and it is.  It was also the site of the first Jamesway in Hudson (Greenport) on Route 9.  The building sat at the back edge of the paved area you see and was fairly small - only a Jamesway and a Price Chopper (maybe Central Market at that time) with no other stores.  They later moved down the road - the stores had a few other things in them, the longest was a roller rink on one side and an indoor min golf surrounded by small shops on the other - that was there for a couple years (maybe).  The building was torn down to construct a new plaza with a Kmart, JC Penney and some sort of other store (maybe a long gone warehouse club chain if I remember right) - they got as far as a small steel skeleton with one concrete block wall which still stands today (it's off to the left of the photo, just about directly behind the left hand one-way sign) and then someone went bankrupt and it still sits there today (probably about 15 years now).  There was also a small gas station right by the road (the sign was still there, but must be just to the right of the shot) and a single theater (that building still stands - I'll post it in the abandoned buildings section).

The second shot was the later Jamesway also on Route 9 - the store was basically the Staples & Hollywood Video plus the next section of roof to the left - the pizza place has always been at the right end.  It closed about a year before the rest of the chain.

The three shots on the bottom are of the Catskill store.  It was later Ames (as you can see by the sign).  Unfortunately, they started demolishing it a couple days before I got there - what you see left in the bottom shot is about 1/2 of the original building - it has several smaller stores connected to the left side.  They are currently building a new building (on the site of the detached Shop Rite (at the opposite end of the plaza) for these smaller stores, then they will demolish those also and construct a Super Walmart.
However, for this area it isn't necessarily bad {they could have waited to demolish until after I got pitcures though} as there are currently NO Target, Kmart or WalMart in Greene County and only one (Regular) WalMart in Columbia County (that's why most of us go to Albany/East Greenbush or down to visit Amesman in Kingston).

amesman

Caldor1999

hears more pics of he former jamesway in the dutchesse mall
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

and hears anouther one
Caldor Forever!

Anonymous

C. Fontaine, if Big Lots wants to update their logo on that store you posted, maybe then they'll clean off both labelscars... Anyway, the Kennett Square, PA location is a former Big Lots as well but it has the current logo. It probably opened with the newer logo because they tend not to update them.

ameskmart1

from http://www.siteride.com/srpl/p_snapshot.pl?lm=listing&resbox=1140828818&subNum=50208000183

Same Jamesway
Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by ameskmart1

Same Jamesway

i heard that jamesway is sitll there
Caldor Forever!

KyleRF

This was the Jamesway in Dover, New Jersey, that closed in 1995, became Ames, and I don't know the fate of it now. The Shoprite that was next to the Jamesway/Ames is still there.

Wow, this brings back memories from 1993 when I was 1 and visiting New Jersey (I moved there from North Carolina in 1999). I spent a lot of time in here. Whenever I would visit my relatives up here, I would stop by the Jamesway.

KyleRF

THAT JAMESWAY IS NOW A TJ MAXX!! NOOOOOOOO!!!!!! :flaming::flaming::flaming::flaming::flaming::flaming:

BillyGr

This is the former Jamesway in Cobleskill (on Route 7, in the plaza with Price Chopper).  After Jamesway, it was a farm supply place (CT Farm & Country, I think?) which the whole chain closed up - now it's divided between TSC & Label Shopper.

store215

Jamesway price label: (The package this was on was purchased from some closeout store--i was never in a Jamesway)

d_fife

here is what was jamesway in bath ny

d_fife

or was this the jamesway in bath ny?

d_fife

this former jamesway in cobelskill looks like a small one! this is probably where jamesway was, when I Saw this I thought it may have been an ames. I bet ames and jamesway where alike. I heard jamesway started in jamestown.

powersbt

Ah, that's what I wanted a photo of. I had seen this back in 2001 when I was playing a spot in that parking lot with my Summer Job. The windows were boarded up at the time. From what it looked like to me, it looked like a former Grocery Store to me. I don't remember if there were any label scars there, and if there was, I wouldn't have recognized the name. The Trailer bays would have been on the right side if looking at the store head on. It looks like the Plaza has made a comeback, because when I was there, it was fairly quiet.

d_fife

possible jamesway in norwich ny. i know there was a jamesway. how can norwich support ames, wal-mart and jamesway?

powersbt

Simple. Because Wal-Mart was NOT there when Jamesway was!!

possible jamesway in norwich ny. i know there was a jamesway. how can norwich support ames, wal-mart and jamesway?

store215

No way! That screams former Acme supermarket! I never knew they stretched into NY at any time..this is very interesting.

Compare the image to this one of a former Acme store (there are only a few stores left that still have this look to them)

powersbt

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321

No way! That screams former Acme supermarket! I never knew they stretched into NY at any time..this is very interesting.

Compare the image to this one of a former Acme store (there are only a few stores left that still have this look to them)

*Scrolls up and Down* Yes, you're right. Sure looks to be the same. I remember it being a Former Grocery Store from my week of staying in that Plaza.