Jamesway

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

videogamer75

The one in Lakewood I heard is now a medical facility. There is a Jamesway in Glassboro, NJ that is still mostly vacant except for on the right side of the building, where there is now a Big Lots.

nibw

QuoteOriginally posted by Mobil
Or this?

Mobil, Any idea of the Red/White/Blue late one is still in existence? Where was the photo taken?

videogamer75

Here's a pic I found online of a former Jamesway in Middletown, PA.

Man I really wish there were more Jamesway pictures out there from when it was still open, especially the stores I remember.

videogamer75

It even still has the old stripes on the walls!!!! (although, I remember them being red and orange, not red and blue)

Mobil

QuoteOriginally posted by videogamer75
The one in Lakewood I heard is now a medical facility. There is a Jamesway in Glassboro, NJ that is still mostly vacant except for on the right side of the building, where there is now a Big Lots.

The one in Glassboro is NOT vacant and has not been for five years. The left side of the building has been a fitness center since 2002. :huh::huh::huh:

I thought that store in Middletown was the Middletown in Delaware County, PA. Jamesway never had any stores in Delco, where I live, neither did Ames. Ironically, I found Jamesway and Ames carts at a flea market in Middletown Delco once.

MikeRa

QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy
A former Jamesway in Cornwells Heights, Pa.. Prior to being a Jamesway it was a Woolco. To bad its a Home Depot today. It was completly gutted.

http://www.tomasher.net/deadretail.html
The former Woolco/Jamesway at Woodhaven Mall, Bensalem (Cornwells Heights), PA was totally demolished and the Price Club was built.  This was also around the same time the Woodhaven Mall was demalled and became Price Club Plaza, and then Home Depot Plaza (when Home Depot took the Price Club site.)
:dizzy:
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

mikey7290

QuoteOriginally posted by DefunctStoreKing
does anyone know the slogans of Jamesway?

The only one I can remember from when I was little was
"We care about you...the James-way"

patk

Man I really wish there were more Jamesway pictures out there from when it was still open, especially the stores I remember.
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=qq087k8m37dm&style=o&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=22858033&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1
this is wat it looks like today ^ :yup:
im a 1/2 h away form it :bigsmile:

shakethis1234

thats looks like a small jamesway i only been to 2 jamesways they closed when i was 6. one was in Fulton NY 80,000sf now Cayuga Community College Tractor Supply.Tractor supply moving to the other end of the plaza into former Price Chopper 22,000. colege gonna expand. The one oswego 66,000sf they remodled the whole store closed 6 months later. Then P&C took it over Price Chopper just bought the store from P&C Noveber 15 2008

shakethis1234

videogamer75

QuoteOriginally posted by patk

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=qq087k8m37dm&style=o&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=22858033&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

Cool. Can you take some pictures of it?

videogamer75

Heres something i found on ebay

patk

QuoteOriginally posted by patk

Cool. Can you take some pictures of it?
i will try to

videogamer75

Thanks, cant wait to see the pics. See if you can find anything related to Jamesway in the back. :)

A roll of Jamesway pricing tags found on ebay. With it only being 5 bucks and there being 9 of them for sale, I just might buy one.

Mobil

Heres something i found on ebay

What is that?

CTAmeshopper

Looks like the slogan anthropromorphized. Those things look like fun,I wonder if they're poseable.:insane:

videogamer75

Heres the former Jamesway in Williamstown, NJ again.

Mobil

Most Jamesway stores were empty for a loooong time especially compared to Bradlees. Examples:

Tamaqua, PA (still abandoned)
Vineland, NJ (still abandoned)
Fishkill, NY (closed 1994, still abandoned)

Harleysville, PA (closed in 1990, was abandoned until 2002)
Lakewood, NJ (closed in 1990, was abandoned until 2005)
Hammonton, NJ (abandoned 9 years)

videogamer75

There is now a Super Wal-Mart on the site of the old Vineland, NJ location.

Lakewood, NJ closed in 1991, not 1990

Half of Tamaqua, PA is now a YMCA. Believe it or not, the rest of the building is still vacant.

And Hammonton, NJ closed with the rest of the chain in 1995 (and in the same month Jamesway closed there, the new Wal-Mart began its grand opening sales). It became A Shop-Rite in 2004.

NJxxJon

Vineland, NJ is now knocked down for a Super Wal-Mart. I misread the article and I thought it wasn't going to happen, and it turns out they are building one actually.

Lakewood, NJ closed in 1991, not 1990

Tamaqua, PA is supposedly a YMCA center now

And Hammonton, NJ closed with the rest of the chain in 1995 (and in the same month Jamesway closed there, the new Wal-Mart began its grand opening sales). It became A Shop-Rite in 2004.

I never got to take pics of the one in lakewood or the signs because I am a.......SLACKER. lol
JN

XDeSuEhTX

I once read an article in a music magazine, an interview with Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails) who was raised in a smaller town in PA. In the interview he talked about getting some of his first records or something from Jamesway. The interviewer asked him what Jamesway was, and he explained it as "sort of like an old school Wal-Mart", and said that he didn't think they were in business anymore. The article was from a 2007 edition of Rolling Stone or something.
"Ancient malls, overgrown like Roman ruins without the class, our generation will be remembered for our greatest works, our trinkets at Spencer Gifts"

videogamer75

Here is the former Jamesway in Ledgewood, NJ, picture from Arcadia Realty's website. Now a Wal-Mart. BTW, there is also a small Circuit City in part of this old Jamesway. (Yep, Wal-Mart actually didn't take up the whole space!)

http://www.acadiarealty.com/Web/ContentImageBar.ashx?PropertyID=153&Imagetype=SummaryPhoto

By the way, I had to link to it instead of the picture just showing up as an attachment, I originally saved the picture and uploaded it as an attachment, but instead of a picture there was a download link and when I clicked it a bunch of random letters/numbers just popped up.

Also - I recently found an intresting article online about a Jamesway-owned home furnishings chain called ''My House''. It states there were stores in Ledgewood, NJ and Pasadena, MD. Given the fact that Jamesway info and pics are very scarce, I doubt any pictures exist of the chain.

Jamesway_princess

QuoteOriginally posted by XDeSuEhTX
I once read an article in a music magazine, an interview with Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails) who was raised in a smaller town in PA. In the interview he talked about getting some of his first records or something from Jamesway. The interviewer asked him what Jamesway was, and he explained it as "sort of like an old school Wal-Mart", and said that he didn't think they were in business anymore. The article was from a 2007 edition of Rolling Stone or something.

found the interview. http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/nineinchnails/articles/story/8719086/qa_trent_reznor  I find it very interesting since Trent is from Mercer, PA & that's about an hr or so north of Pittsburgh. No Jamesway on this side of PA.

nims57

Did most Jamesways look the same?

videogamer75

From what I know most Jamesways did look the same. The usual design would just be a box-like store with a white portion on the front, with the Jamesway logo on it. On both sides of the white portion there was usually a big brown ''stripe'' made out of metal.

nims57

From what I know most Jamesways did look the same. The usual design would just be a box-like store with a white portion on the front, with the Jamesway logo on it. On both sides of the white portion there was usually a big brown ''stripe'' made out of metal.

I recall the white portion. A notable exception to this design was the one at Duchess Mall, which was a former J.W. Mays.

XDeSuEhTX

I'm assuming Jamesway stores were built new? Sorry if the question has been asked.
"Ancient malls, overgrown like Roman ruins without the class, our generation will be remembered for our greatest works, our trinkets at Spencer Gifts"

videogamer75

Jamesway took over many locations from Woolco, and they bought out many stores from a chain called Weston's in the 1980s. They also took over one former J.W. Mays store. Other than that, the majority of Jamesway stores were built new.

XDeSuEhTX

Former Jamesway, now a Castleford Tailors Ltd. In NJ.

videogamer75

QuoteOriginally posted by XDeSuEhTX
Former Jamesway, now a Castleford Tailors Ltd. Probably in PA.

This is my photo, I uploaded it to Flickr in October 2008. It is in Williamstown, NJ, not PA.