Main Menu

Caldor

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by ameskmart1
A Caldor ad.

cool caldor add ive seen that on there web sight beforee witch is dated nov 1998
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

dw17dw17

Hi All. A New guy Here! I use to work at Caldor! I worked there from about 1987-1990 and then for a bit in i think 1994. It was a fun place to work as a teen! Anyway ..More to come..

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by dw17dw17
Hi All. A New guy Here! I use to work at Caldor! I worked there from about 1987-1990 and then for a bit in i think 1994. It was a fun place to work as a teen! Anyway ..More to come..

Welcome! My mother and myself also worked at a Caldor. Which one did you work at?

Caldor1999

i dident know u guys worked at caldors?
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999

I worked at one from 1990-1991. I worked in customer service.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy

I worked at one from 1990-1991. I worked in customer service.

i just use to go there  all the time it wa steh only discount store that had a good chouthing line and such whjen they went oob i really didshent have any place to go and thats whne i staered going to malls and such to get my stuff
Caldor Forever!

dw17dw17

Welcome! My mother and myself also worked at a Caldor. Which one did you work at?

Enfield CT. I believe it was store # 49

d_fife

now the one in Enfield is Kohl's.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife

now the one in Enfield is Kohl's.

alsomt any former caldor is now a kohls:P
Caldor Forever!

d_fife

how come Caldor's stores in Rochester and Syracuse new york were short lived!! theyt lasted less than 2 years. they went in the first round

a lot of CAldor's stores seemed to be in connecticut and around new york city. They strated in portchester new york in 1951. remember. they never had a caldor in maine or vermont (well alot of things aren't or were not in vermont)

Caldor1999

how come Caldor's stores in Rochester and Syracuse new york were short lived!! theyt lasted less than 2 years. they went in the first round

a lot of CAldor's stores seemed to be in connecticut and around new york city. They strated in portchester new york in 1951. remember. they never had a caldor in maine or vermont (well alot of things aren't or were not in vermont)

most likey they wernt proetbal stores caldor mostley has stores in bigger towns and citys out there they wouldent do so well and u would expicte stores liek ames or jameswya to be up there

and btw i live near port chster NY and btw what ever happen to the people who fpuned caldor and what did they look like?
Caldor Forever!

d_fife

most likey they wernt proetbal stores caldor mostley has stores in bigger towns and citys out there they wouldent do so well and u would expicte stores liek ames or jameswya to be up there

and btw i live near port chster NY and btw what ever happen to the people who fpuned caldor and what did they look like?

Syracuse, has 145,000 people, and ROchester, has about 215,000 people, were large cities.  I am guessing that it did not work out there and it was a disaster. it is not unusual for a chain to pull out of new markets they entered recently. Like Ames in the 2nd bankruptcy pulled out of Chicago after entering it.

I still w*onder what happened to teh old Caldor in portchester, but the current one in portchester became Kohl's.

Caldor1999

Syracuse, has 145,000 people, and ROchester, has about 215,000 people, were large cities.  I am guessing that it did not work out there and it was a disaster. it is not unusual for a chain to pull out of new markets they entered recently. Like Ames in the 2nd bankruptcy pulled out of Chicago after entering it.

I still w*onder what happened to teh old Caldor in portchester, but the current one in portchester became Kohl's.
that old caldor there must be anouetr store now like a deli of a gift shop or something i miss the biger claodr they had there it got a rentvation 7 mounths before it closed mine got a inside retvation in teh early 90's the out side stil had teh brown walls but the insde was new and cool looking to bad kohls moved in if u have any more pics post them
Caldor Forever!

storehistoryguy

An arial view of the Caldor once in Framingham, MA. It was also a CVS. Today its a Wal-Mart.

Today.

http://users.rcn.com/encarta95/stores/caldor.html

Caldor1999

An arial view of the Caldor once in Framingham, MA. It was also a CVS. Today its a Wal-Mart.

Today.

http://users.rcn.com/encarta95/stores/caldor.html

i aish they had a real pic of that caldor insted of teh salite view
Caldor Forever!

dayville81

Willimantic Caldor was a nice store. It was updated to the new format only months before the chain closed. I remembered being in there when they were closing the store. I liked the old gray and red colors. It later sat abandonded. Ames bought up the location and made it one of the nicest Ames I have ever been in. It only had a mall entrance, one was forced to leave the store through a small hallway on the eastern section of the mall. That Ames sold UCONN merchandise because they were only 10 miles from the campus. I went to the Ames closing sale at Willimantic. It is now a Kohl's but a small one. They added an entrance on the eastern side of the store where it used to be a service entrance. I believe they converted old stock rooms in Ames into customer areas for Kohl's since the back left corner is bigger than the rest of the store. It has restrooms and customer service. The old Ames didnt utilize the space as well as it could have. At the beginning the store was full of merchandise but it seemed that the store had less and less stock. Quite sad. The restrooms used to be these small one toilet men and women's rooms right near the registers. Caldor put them in and Ames just left them in. Ames had a good sized Snack Express Bar in the front right of the store with a number of tables and chairs. Most shoppers didnt go to the Snack Express despite the lack of food vendors in the mall at the time. I once got a Ames Closing Sale from the connector road on North Frontage Road. Decided to stick it in my dorm window at Eastern CT State University facing a road there. Stupid Eastern police threatened to arrest me and demaded the sign back and told me they would return it to the Ames manager. Im sure he didnt give a frickin stuff since they put up about 30 of them and they were going to throw them out anyways.

dayville81

Label scar at Willimantic Ames was repainted over when Kohl's moved in. The Ames in Willimantic is technically in Mansfield, one town from Willimantic in the East Brook Mall, the area's shopping mall. One of the smallest shopping malls I have ever seen. About 30 stores with JC Penney, Kohl's, and Cinema North as anchors. JC Penney has a mall entrance and a exterior entrance. The only anchor like that. TJ Maxx is physically connected to the mall but no mall entrance, it requires walking a sidewalk between JC Penney and TJ Maxx. This is because TJ Maxx used to be a grocery store. Cinema North rear auditorium doors, some connect outside while others connect to the mall.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by dayville81
Label scar at Willimantic Ames was repainted over when Kohl's moved in. The Ames in Willimantic is technically in Mansfield, one town from Willimantic in the East Brook Mall, the area's shopping mall. One of the smallest shopping malls I have ever seen. About 30 stores with JC Penney, Kohl's, and Cinema North as anchors. JC Penney has a mall entrance and a exterior entrance. The only anchor like that. TJ Maxx is physically connected to the mall but no mall entrance, it requires walking a sidewalk between JC Penney and TJ Maxx. This is because TJ Maxx used to be a grocery store. Cinema North rear auditorium doors, some connect outside while others connect to the mall.

that looks to be a boring mall from its size i do miss caldor my caldor in Bedford NY witch is now a kohls use to have a snak shop in it  untill 1993 when they rentvated teh store and gave it the new logo and evreything then it cloed in 1999 and sat there till june 2000 when kohls moved in they did a nice job tearing up the inside i wish kohls dident go crazy and take overe like 33 locations in one year
Caldor Forever!

dayville81

More boring mall!!! Caldor used to be in the Norwichtown Mall in Norwich, CT. It was a small store that had even smaller spaces between aisles especially near the clothes after they redid the store. They redid the store several months before it closed. Its like they renovated the store with new overhang signs, flooring but felt it wouldnt be a biggie to make the aisles and main pathways in the store smaller but was quite inconvient for shopping carts. Norwichtown Mall used to have  Styles Department Store, Caldor, Stop & Shop. Super Stop & Shop took over part of the mall and Caldor became a Bobs Discount Store. Part of Styles was taken over by Dollar Tree. When Caldor was opened there was no outside entrance but doors leading outside were right outside its mall entrance. They had their restrooms in front of the store on the right side. They were diguisting with rust on the sink pipes, it looked like it came out of the 1960's. When they redid the mall in the late 90's when Caldor renovated itself the restrooms were closed and the mall put some in the side corridor. Norwichtown Mall has like 10 stores and Stop & Shop has no mall entrance. Bob's Discount Furniture was a pathetic anchor store and HURT the mall BIG TIME. It led to closure of a jewlery store, a bank, an arcade, and a computer software store. The mall stores close EARLY on Saturday nights and extremely EARLY on Sundays. Caldor brought life to the mall, now everyone just goes to Wal-Mart. There was already an Ames in Norwich at the other side of the city and thats why this Caldor didnt become an Ames.

Caldor1999

More boring mall!!! Caldor used to be in the Norwichtown Mall in Norwich, CT. It was a small store that had even smaller spaces between aisles especially near the clothes after they redid the store. They redid the store several months before it closed. Its like they renovated the store with new overhang signs, flooring but felt it wouldnt be a biggie to make the aisles and main pathways in the store smaller but was quite inconvient for shopping carts. Norwichtown Mall used to have  Styles Department Store, Caldor, Stop & Shop. Super Stop & Shop took over part of the mall and Caldor became a Bobs Discount Store. Part of Styles was taken over by Dollar Tree. When Caldor was opened there was no outside entrance but doors leading outside were right outside its mall entrance. They had their restrooms in front of the store on the right side. They were diguisting with rust on the sink pipes, it looked like it came out of the 1960's. When they redid the mall in the late 90's when Caldor renovated itself the restrooms were closed and the mall put some in the side corridor. Norwichtown Mall has like 10 stores and Stop & Shop has no mall entrance. Bob's Discount Furniture was a pathetic anchor store and HURT the mall BIG TIME. It led to closure of a jewlery store, a bank, an arcade, and a computer software store. The mall stores close EARLY on Saturday nights and extremely EARLY on Sundays. Caldor brought life to the mall, now everyone just goes to Wal-Mart. There was already an Ames in Norwich at the other side of the city and thats why this Caldor didnt become an Ames.

Bob's Discount Furniture is one of teh worst stores i have ever been to my parnets got some funrture from there an d with in to mounths teh cocuh was falling apart and i think over time people will stop going to wall mart so far this year they haveent done so well so i think they might be on the way to a sl;ow death there most likey gonna end up like kmart but i avoid wal mart as much as possble i go to Target Kohls JC Penny Macys Filenes Nordstrom Bloomingdales and many stores that dont start with teh name wal mart home depot or Sears

but any way back to caldor this store is locted in NYC from what i know it still might be there it was a fomer Alaxzanders
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

storehistoryguy

hears anoutehr picture
I can see a label scar behind the Caldor sign. I can only make out the first letter, J. What did it used to be?

Caldor1999

hears anoutehr picture
I can see a label scar behind the Caldor sign. I can only make out the first letter, J. What did it used to be?

i think it was a Alaxzanders before that
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

hears what the store use to look like
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

hears anouther caldor that became one this caldor clsoed in 1997 and hears a 2004 picture of it evreything gone besides that big sign on top of teh bulding
Caldor Forever!

dayville81

Anyone here know if Newington, CT Caldor is still there or did another store take it over? If it is there, what condition is it in? Any grafiti, boarded up windows, spots you can see the inside of the store?

Caldor1999

Anyone here know if Newington, CT Caldor is still there or did another store take it over? If it is there, what condition is it in? Any grafiti, boarded up windows, spots you can see the inside of the store?

as of 2005 it was still there hears a pic of it withc wa spsoed earlyer in this thred
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

theres also a Caldr still standing in middletown NY hear are my pictures of ti when i went to see it in sep this caldor is not gonna go any were anytime soon due to its location nea r a big box center and a mall and the stires size
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

and hear the only entice to that caldor i had no luck getting in that hall way but they uslay have it open although i know someone on this sight was luckey enoufe to get in lol:P
Caldor Forever!