Main Menu

Link updates

Started by Caldor1999, April 24, 2005, 08:05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caldor1999

ive nodiced latley that some of the remaning Ames locations are going fast and turning into outher stores the one near me stayed Vacant fior only 2 years and is now gonna be  Hannaford:mad::(
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Zayre88

They are going fast !  I started to count the remaining vacant Ames stores and the list is shorter.  

I was able to catch the 1/3 left from the original store in Bangor in december.  Now the ones in Sanford and Saco are demolished and replaced by Shaw's.  Most stores have been converted now.

It's like Bradlees... since 2001, most stores are gone.

Zayre88

Fortunately, this Ames in Lewiston ME is still there as of april 23, 2005.  That evening i was surprised to see the Ames logo lighted on.  :)

With those cars and the lights, it almost looks like if the store was open as usual !

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
They are going fast !  I started to count the remaining vacant Ames stores and the list is shorter.  

I was able to catch the 1/3 left from the original store in Bangor in december.  Now the ones in Sanford and Saco are demolished and replaced by Shaw's.  Most stores have been converted now.

the one chain that gobbled up really fast was Caldor in NOV 1999 11 Caldors were already Kmarts

and in 2000 and 2001 a huge portan of them became Kohls

and Bradlees went fast to but they were small then Caldor so i wouldent be spurissed
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

amesman

Well, this goes for a lot of the Ames stores in New York State in Albany, and the Hudson Valley. Here's the status:

Albany: 6 stores originally. 1 is a Big Lots, 1 is an RV
                        Dealer, 1 is a Bon Ton store, and one is a
                       Dollar Tree. The other three are still vacant.

Hudson Divided in 3 spaces with a Peebles, Yankee
                       One Dollar, and a little piece of origianlity.

Catskill Still Vacant, but it will soon be replaced with
                      a Wal Mart Supercenter.

Kingston Still vacant, but for how long? heh

Hyde Park Still vacant...

Highland Half of the store is a Tractor Supply Company
                         store.

New Paltz Soon to be demolished for a Super Stop and
                           Shop.

Well, there you go. Out of all those stores, only 6 are still vacant.

tokensafari

Hills Store #43 before Ames took over, is now becoming a Grandview outlet.. a local Goodwill of sorts. They are opening their doors in June. I am going to try and get pictures of course. That only leaves me with 3 Ames stores untouched.

Jag67

You guys are lucky you still have your ames at all. Ours was demolished last month.

Caldor1999

i wanted to see the one in pawling NY but it became some stupit hardwere store:mad:

and teh carmel ames is now a hannfored :mad:
Caldor Forever!

Zayre88

The Portland, ME Ames is now gone.  It was one of the first Zayre stores to open decades ago.  They demolished it along with the former Shaw's to make way for a new Lowe's...

Ames locations are going fast...  i thought i would be there soon enough to get a few pics but too late  !

d_fife

The Portland, ME Ames is now gone.  It was one of the first Zayre stores to open decades ago.  They demolished it along with the former Shaw's to make way for a new Lowe's...

Ames locations are going fast...  i thought i would be there soon enough to get a few pics but too late  !

the one in my town plymouth NH will become a marshalls this fall

they (vacant ames) are slowly going though.

Zayre88

Yeah some locations are not going that fast.

Waterville, Augusta, Orono, Rumford, and Nashua, Manchester, Conway, Dover, Milford, Seabrook and probably more... still vacant.

C. Fontaine

Waterville, Augusta, Orono, Rumford, and Nashua, Manchester, Conway, Dover, Milford, Seabrook and probably more... still vacant.
Thank god!

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by C. Fontaine

Thank god!

the resion to that is because many former ames stores were located in the middle of know werethe same tghing hap[pen to jamesway too there qare even jamesways still vacant to this day :yup:
Caldor Forever!

HoJofan206

I understand that you guys do not want to "loose" your former Ames stores, but I personally would rather these former vacant buildings be used for something.  So often here in the midwest they just sit and rot away while other new structures take the place of open fields or other undeveloped natural areas.  We have 3 or 4 former K-Mart buildings here in my hometown that have been sitting empty since the early 1990's.

dstrohmeng

Store #1097 in Williamsville, NY was just torn down a few weeks ago. I know there's a Bed Bath & Beyond going into the plaza, but I think it's going into the old Burlington Coat Factory building. As for what's going to be built where Child World and Hills/Ames were, I have no idea.

Joe0237

Actually, the original Bangor Ames, store 2120, was in the Broadway Shopping Center where TJ Maxx & More is.  (I was employed there.)

Zayre88

The Morning Sentinel
Thursday, October 06, 2005

Dollar Tree to open in old Waterville Ames building

WATERVILLE -- Dollar Tree Stores Inc. plans to open a store in Waterville this year, apparently in the former Ames Department Store located on The Concourse."Yes, Dollar Tree is planning an opening in Waterville, Maine, this year, but I cannot provide you with details until it gets closer to the grand opening," said the woman, who asked that she be identified only as a company spokesperson.

But Code Enforcement Officer Garth Collins said Bailey Signs of Westbrook applied for and received a permit from the city to install a 30-by-30-foot Dollar Tree sign on the former Ames building. "They're going to be moving in," Collins said.
"They're going to take the Ames sign down." :hurt:

Caldor1999

this locator is so post to becoem a hannaford i hound that out after i came hjear in december 2004 i came back in septemebr 2005 for an update i though hannaford was already there but i was rong ames was still there logo and all it was also easy to take pics through the window cause teh sun was reflcting on teh titted windows and light was going in teh store so it made it easy heh
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

hears teh inside alredy teh victom of hannaford
Caldor Forever!

Ames#1171

The Ames That I worked at has now become a Outlet Marketplace

Ames" border="0

digidino

The Ames in Millinocket, ME is vacant and likely will be for a long time. I just want to go back into the building, I miss it. I wish SOMETHING would go in there, but keep the same format as Ames had.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by digidino
The Ames in Millinocket, ME is vacant and likely will be for a long time. I just want to go back into the building, I miss it. I wish SOMETHING would go in there, but keep the same format as Ames had.

sHow a pictuure of it. In a town like that It may stay vacant for a while, I have never been north of Bangor,  but know it is a papermill town and a Wal-mart is a half mile away in Lincoln. maybe it will be a place like MArden's or something like that. it is probably too smart for a Wal-mart.

The Ames in My town (Plymouth NH) just became a Marshalls. The one in Groveton NH will probably stay vacant for many more years as it is out in the middle of nowehre and in a plaza where only a liquor store is left. The one in Nroth conway is still vacant.

tokensafari

Ames in Ashland Kentucky was turned into a Hobby Lobby

d_fife

The Morning Sentinel
Thursday, October 06, 2005

Dollar Tree to open in old Waterville Ames building

WATERVILLE -- Dollar Tree Stores Inc. plans to open a store in Waterville this year, apparently in the former Ames Department Store located on The Concourse."Yes, Dollar Tree is planning an opening in Waterville, Maine, this year, but I cannot provide you with details until it gets closer to the grand opening," said the woman, who asked that she be identified only as a company spokesperson.

But Code Enforcement Officer Garth Collins said Bailey Signs of Westbrook applied for and received a permit from the city to install a 30-by-30-foot Dollar Tree sign on the former Ames building. "They're going to be moving in," Collins said.
"They're going to take the Ames sign down." :hurt:

I saw this ames in waterville maine vacant as of january 4, 2006

d_fife

this ames in augusta maine as of january 4, 2006 was still vacant.

d_fife

a night picture of where ames was as of january 4, 2006. The shell of the building on lowe's was barley up and the color was not on the building and the triangle for lowe's was only wooden.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
this ames in augusta maine as of january 4, 2006 was still vacant.

here is what may happen to former ames in augusta.

http://morningsentinel.mainetoday.com/news/local/2371645.shtml

Friday, January 27, 2006

New tenants coming for Turnpike?

By GARY REMAL
Staff Writer

Copyright ? 2005 Blethen Maine Newspapers Inc.
   E-mail this story to a friend

AUGUSTA -- Turnpike Mall is poised to lure two major retailers to the former Ames department store building.

Peter Carbone -- managing partner of Taurus New England Investments LLC, the Boston investment company that owns the Western Avenue shopping center -- said he hopes to make an announcement on the tenants in coming weeks, and to have the stores open for holiday shopping later this year.

He refused to identify the stores now, saying that would jeopardize final negotiations.

"We have been meeting with city officials for a rather large tenant to come in and occupy the former Ames space," Carbone said Thursday. "It's a large, regional retailer everybody will be familiar with. They would actually be splitting the store in two with another retailer that owns them, and completely redoing the space."

Carbone anticipates the popular, large stores would encourage other, smaller retailers to fill in the mall's few vacancies.

Once full, he said, the size of the shopping center would not increase, but a restaurant could be built within the parking area.

Carbone said the 460,000-square-foot Augusta Crossing, planned just across Interstate 95 from Turnpike Mall, may have helped persuade the new retailers to take a look at Augusta.

"I'd say that has something to do with it, because there's evidence that Augusta is underutilized by retailers and there's enough demand coming from in and around the city of Augusta that more retailers can come in," he said. "Retail likes retail. It's no secret retailers like to have others around them, then they try to outperform each other."

Augusta Crossing -- with Lowe's and Target as anchors -- is scheduled to open in fall 2007.

Augusta Code Enforcement Director Richard Dolby confirmed that he has had meetings with Taurus officials. He, too, declined to name the stores.

"They were looking at whether to refurbish that building -- or to take it down to the slab and cut holes in it for new piping then building new," Dolby said. "But I don't think the footprint (of the building) would change."

The new tenants Carbone hopes to sign were attracted to the chance to move in quickly to an existing shopping center and taking advantage of established traffic patterns, he said.

He said 50 to 60 percent of his firm's business ventures are within the metropolitan Boston area. But he said Taurus recently completed a large development deal in Vermont and the firm is looking more at investments in northern New England now.

"We've been keeping an eye on Augusta and places like Bangor and other places in Maine," Carbone said. "I think we all look very favorably on doing business in Maine whenever there's an opportunity."

Turnpike Mall currently offers major retailers Sears, TJ Maxx, Petco, Sam Goody and Olympia Sports.

; a host of smaller shops including Maine Made & More, Cardsmart and GameDay; and a number of specialty kiosks.

Gary Remal -- 623-3811, Ext. 518

gremal@centralmaine.com

Zayre88

The Augusta Ames was not going fast but it finally will.

I really don't know what will be the two stores coming to the 60,000 sf. Ames.  The keywords are:

...a rather large tenant to come in and occupy the former Ames space

It's a large, regional retailer everybody will be familiar with.

They would actually be splitting the store in two with another retailer that owns them

Carbone anticipates the popular, large stores would encourage other...

"But I don't think the footprint (of the building) would change."

rchast

Hi, Thought I would let you know what happen to three Ames Stores, 1)The Concord NH Ames Store Is Burgltin Coat. 2) The Tilton, NH  Ames is A Doller Tree Discount Store.  3) The Belmont, NH  Ames is turned into 4 different stores, they are Big Lots, Pepples, Finest Planet, and one more on the way.  As soon as I know I'll post it.

Zayre88

Fortunately, this Ames in Lewiston ME is still there as of april 23, 2005.  That evening i was surprised to see the Ames logo lighted on.  :)

With those cars and the lights, it almost looks like if the store was open as usual !

Unfortunately, the Lewiston Ames is almost gone.  I have not seen it since april but they say a large chineese buffet opened in part of it.  The remaining part is up for lease and they are in the process of finding a new tenant. L.L.Bean also used it as a temporary liquidation store and removed the Ames sign off the mall pylon.