Main Menu

Target

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmx10101

Closed Target in Marietta, GA. Old looking building style, Notice the raised things on the roof (skylights?) in the second and third picture.

The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

retailisking

Target will franchise to outside pharmacists when it rolls out its Canadian stores, the inverse of its US business model
http://www.chainstoreage.com/article/target-use-pharmacy-franchise-model-its-stores-canada

Zayre88

It's really interesting to watch Target Canada's progress in opening here.

There is an official list of about 45 confirmed stores so far out of a possibility of up to 135.  These current Zellers stores have apparently received their notice to liquidate and close.

So far our local Zellers, although picked by Target, is not yet confirmed... it may or may not become a Target.

retailisking

What is it about the pharmacy business in Canada that would encourage Target to employ the franchise model as opposed to owning and operating the in-store pharmacies themselves?

Zayre88

Target settled the battle with a Canadian rival using the Target name.

QuoteCanadian gives up rights to Target banner

For about a decade, Canadian retail mall king Isaac Benitah tangled with U.S. discounter Target Corp. (TGT-N52.140.140.27%) over who owned the rights to the coveted Target name north of the border.

He had snapped up the name 11 years ago when he acquired a bankrupt domestic merchant amid signs that the U.S. discount giant would eventually land here.

Now, he is turning that purchase â€" and claims to the exclusive rights to the Target name here â€" into a victory. On Wednesday, he agreed to Target Corp.’s settlement to phase out his own Target stores and avoid a messy court battle in the process.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/canadian-gives-up-rights-to-target-banner/article2322303/

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

If the Target name is already taken in Canada, why don't they settle on an alternate name, like "Bullseye"? I heard of alternate names for oh-so-familiar businesses like Australia's "Burger King", which goes by the name "Hungry Jack's", or the UK's "T.J. Maxx", which  goes by the name "T.K. Maxx".

Zayre88

Quote from: ShopKoFan on February 05, 2012, 06:23:31 PM
If the Target name is already taken in Canada, why don't they settle on an alternate name, like "Bullseye"? I heard of alternate names for oh-so-familiar businesses like Australia's "Burger King", which goes by the name "Hungry Jack's", or the UK's "T.J. Maxx", which  goes by the name "T.K. Maxx".

I guess they could, but then they would have to spend a lot to market that new name, create new logos, ads, signs and everybody would know that they are Target anyway.

So they decided to fight back and they finally settled.  It also looked like the Canadian company was doing it on purpose when it decided to suddenly expand and open many "Target Apparel" stores to prove their point... 

dmx10101

Here is the Target in Gainesville, GA. It hasn't seen a remodel since it's opening. It features the neon lights along the top wall through out the store, the old department signs, a Food Avenue sit down snack bar, and no grocery section. It features about 3 small aisles of snack food products. The extend of the refrigerated/frozen offerings at this store are pictured below, It includes two coolers with milk and that's it.

The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

EddieJ1984

Nice pics dmx! Neat to see a target that still has its original signage.

jason83080

Two of the four Targets near me - Avon, OH and Elyria, OH - have the neon on the walls. Elyria still has the white signage, while Avon has the multicolored signage with the different typeface. I know that Amherst and North Olmsted, OH don't have the neon on the walls. I *think* they both have the multicolored signs for the various departments, but I could be wrong. Truth be told, I never really paid attention!

retailisking

Only 230 stores (compared to nearly 400 last year) will be converted this year. The results they're getting are only meeting expectations and TGT is looking to reduce the cost of remodeling lower-volume stores.
http://supermarketnews.com/latest-news/target-slows-pace-p-fresh-remodels

Zayre88

Quote from: Zayre88 on January 31, 2012, 09:03:27 PM

There is an official list of about 45 confirmed stores so far out of a possibility of up to 135.  These current Zellers stores have apparently received their notice to liquidate and close.

Now 68 sites are confirmed plus two more locations (A former Walmart and a brand new store).

A total of 70 stores so far...

Zayre88

Target has updated their Canadian website:

http://www.target.ca/en/index.html

I saw the Target Canada website and they have a very good timeline of Target's history, starting with the founding of Dayton's Department Stores in the 1900s and ending with their international expansion into Canada.

ynkeesfn82

I don't really know why, but I like the Meriden, Connecticut Target better than the one in Southington.

With all this talk about Target expanding into Canada right now, we are all going to wonder what the future will hold for Target, another ten or twenty years  from now. I predict an acquisition of Target Australia might be next, as well as an expansion into New Zealand, Mexico, and the UK.

Zayre88

Quote from: Zayre88 on January 31, 2012, 09:03:27 PM

So far our local Zellers, although picked by Target, is not yet confirmed... it may or may not become a Target.

Okay so Target Canada announced a bunch of new stores.  110 are now confirmed for 2013.

This leaves 41 that are acquired by Target but that are not confirmed yet.  Target always says 125 to 135 stores will open so 15 to 25 of the 41 left will become Target stores too.

Target also sold 39 acquired stores to Walmart Canada.

The "Target Greatland" stores are being converted to normal Target stores, but with the addition of a grocery department.

TRU7536

Quote from: ShopKoFan on May 28, 2012, 05:55:49 AM
The "Target Greatland" stores are being converted to normal Target stores, but with the addition of a grocery department.

So i assume that these kind of concepts are gone...Target Greatland, Walmart Super Centers, etc.

MikeRa

Quote from: TRU7536 on May 28, 2012, 09:43:55 AM
Quote from: ShopKoFan on May 28, 2012, 05:55:49 AM

So i assume that these kind of concepts are gone...Target Greatland, Walmart Super Centers, etc.
The one Target that's near me, has a semi-full Grocery Department, and it started as a normal "Target".  Across the street fom the this Target used to be a Pathmark, and then a Genuardi's, which has since  been demolished, but the location of this the former Pathmark/Genuardi's still has a Sears, a Strawbridge & Clothier/Macy's, and a Lit Brothers/Pomeroy's/The Bon Ton/Boscov's that still open.  This would be Neshaminy Mall, in Bensalem, PA

Pathmark/Genuardi's(Demolished)

Lit Brothers/Pomeroy's/The Bon Ton/Boscov's

Strawbridge & Clothier/Macy's (as Strawbridge & Clothier)

Strawbridge & Clothier/Macy's (as Macy's)
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

Tabuu

Time to come back from my lurking. lol

Going back to Target Canada for a sec, if I could, my local Zellers is going to become a Target. Having been to two Targets in the in the US, I am excited. I like Zellers, but I gotta say, Target kicks Zellers' butt.

I also hope they'll bring along some cool US merchandise to Canada that we don't normally get here.

Zayre88

So Target is now done with their list: 127 stores for 2013.

It will be interesting to watch this arrival of Target, Zellers being closed and renovated.

Another aspect, the store sizes are not much like your average new U.S. Target stores.  I think that most free-standing Target stores range from 120,000 to 130,000 sq.ft.

At least 32 Canadian locations will be under 100,000.  11 of these will be under 85,000 sq.ft. including our local store. They will have to fit the Target concept in smaller stores.

Our local store is 85,000 sq.ft but they could expand by at least 2,000 more with adjacent vacant stores. It's possible that the store will not have a Starbucks thus saving space.  Not all Target will get one.

CTAmeshopper

Great pics dmx10101 reminds of what Target Greatland of Farmington,CT looked like back in 2005! 8)

jerseygearhead

^ Those pictures look like the closest Target to me, in Manalapan, NJ. The Target Greatland in my hometown of Edison, NJ looked like that too for the longest absolute time.

MikeRa

Quote from: MikeRa on October 13, 2009, 08:30:31 PM
This new Target was built on the site of a former John Wanamaker/Hecht's/strawbridge's Department Store that closed whem Macy's took over May Department Store.  Macy's already has a store in the Springfield Mall that opened as Bamberger's Department Store.
Here is a pic of the Christiana Mall Target:
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

JimSawhill

Quote from: CTAmeshopper on August 10, 2012, 01:36:11 PM
Great pics dmx10101 reminds of what Target Greatland of Farmington,CT looked like back in 2005! 8)

Are you sure that was in Farmington? I used to work for the old 'Office Max' store across the street and the computer department was in Newington, the loading dock was in New Britain and the store entrance was in Farmington.   :)

That Target was a nice store, thou

AmesNewington

Quote from: JimSawhill on October 22, 2012, 12:41:07 PM
Quote from: CTAmeshopper on August 10, 2012, 01:36:11 PM

Are you sure that was in Farmington? I used to work for the old 'Office Max' store across the street and the computer department was in Newington, the loading dock was in New Britain and the store entrance was in Farmington.   :)

That Target was a nice store, thou

It's in New Britain, but very close to the Farmington line. I refer to it as the Westfarms Target, as it is close to that mall. It's still there, and they don't call it Greatland anymore, just Target.

Zayre88

One of 3 Distribution Centers built by Target Canada, this one a 1.3 million-square-foot facility in Alberta:

Zayre88

One more from this site:

http://o.canada.com/2013/01/18/zellers-is-unfriending-canada-on-facebook-for-good-amidst-complaints-about-liquidation-prices

It looks like this store will have Self-Checkouts.  The store also does not have the familiar neons on the walls.  They're replaced by suspended lights.