Main Menu

Target

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mervyns

I hope my Target doesn't get relocated. This store I have been using since the early 90's, and has the old logo.

MikeRa

Here is a picture of the Target in Bensalem, PA.  This store is across the street from Neshaminy Mall
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

Zayre88

QuoteTarget revamps its Target brand as "up & up"

Tue May 19, 2009 5:07pm EDT
By Nicole Maestri

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Target Corp (TGT.N: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) is looking to make its namesake store brand a hit with consumers by giving it a new name and getting rid of the familiar bull's-eye on the package.

The Target brand line, which includes sunscreen, tissues and diapers, will now be more easily recognized across store aisles with packaging marked with a big, colorful arrow on a white background that says "up & up" -- the brand's new name.

"We believe that it will stand out on the shelf, and it is so distinctive that we'll get new guests that will want to try it that maybe didn't even notice the Target brand before," said Kathee Tesija, executive vice president of merchandising for Target, in an interview.

http://www.reuters.com/article/ousiv/idUSTRE54I6UK20090519

I'm not so happy about that, I liked the Target brand better with the bullseye logo.  All these arrows on the shelves will mess up the "clean look" of the stores.

I think it looks cheap but could have been a good idea for a specific baby brand only (growing up).  Now it looks like: Prices from $3 and up & up.

gu4ever

So consumers shopping in a "Target" store will no longer be able to find the store branded bullseye products. Well I guess we'll have to sit back and see how long this one last.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

Ameskid

This is moronic.  Target's signature logo is not an arrow with "up&up" on it; it is a bullseye.  They can't use both.  What does "up & up" mean, anyway?

EDIT: 400th post! :roll:
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

wwefan101

target in millbury turned down  a delvery of market pantry cookie sandwiches last week and my cousion got like 10 boxes out of it any idear why target is turneing down items

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by Ameskid
This is moronic.  Target's signature logo is not an arrow with "up&up" on it; it is a bullseye.  They can't use both.  What does "up & up" mean, anyway?

I hate it, I miss the bullseye logo, all these arrows on the shelves are ruining the look of the stores.  And when a product is upside down, it looks like this "Down & Down".

EddieJ1984

So the Target Greatland in NE Philly on roosevelt blvd and haldeman, now just says "Target" I guess any target greatlands that are still out there will just be targets now.

nims57

When did Target Greatland start? Was it an 80's thing?

gu4ever

The company started working on the concept in 1988 or 1989. The first store to open with the Greatland signage was in 1990.
I've been to the one in Woburn, MA. It's a huge store with the expanded food category.

nims57

The new mall Target (former John Wanamaker/Strawbridge's) opens October 11. The existing Springfield Target (former Strawbridge & Clothier) has a grand reopening October 18.

EddieJ1984

Yea it seems like to me they are redoing every target's food section. Last month the did one near me that opened in march, and now they are doing the one on haldemen (that I said just dropped the greatland part of the name) all teh freezers are blocked off and says a tastier target is on the way.

amesman

Yeah, it's called the PFresh concept. Basically, they are enlarging the food section, along with adding "fresh" meat and produce selections. However without the actual meat and produce departments in the regular Target stores, we'll see how this one will go.

store215

QuoteOriginally posted by amesman
Yeah, it's called the PFresh concept. Basically, they are enlarging the food section, along with adding "fresh" meat and produce selections. However without the actual meat and produce departments in the regular Target stores, we'll see how this one will go.  

The store near me recently did this...it's kind of silly if you ask me. First, they moved all the departments around, cutting back many to make room for isles and isles of fridges and freezers. The past few times I have been in this Target, the food section is pretty quiet. The prices are good (especially compared to Genuardi's, also in the same center), but I didn't see anyone buying large amounts of groceries. There are too many grocery stores around me (and a Super Walmart opening next month) to make this seem like a viable concept...it's not like I'm going to buy some prepackaged meat or produce..I'll go to the supermarket for that stuff.

GothicPrincess

This is making me want to drive all the way to Greensburg to look at Target....lol and I usually don't go in there. Not too many bargains with Walmart supercenter right up the road. Oh yeah, I moved back to Latrobe on Saturday...
Jaime...BRADLEES FOREVER!!!

amesman

Well, it'll be good for all the people who want a little taste of what a Super Target has to offer, of course on a much smaller scale. I think this could go both ways. Most people don't do all their food shopping at Target from what I know and this maybe could bring in more food oriented consumers. However, because of that fact, people might not notice the change, at least for the time being.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
QuoteTarget revamps its Target brand as "up & up"

Tue May 19, 2009 5:07pm EDT
By Nicole Maestri

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Target Corp (TGT.N: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) is looking to make its namesake store brand a hit with consumers by giving it a new name and getting rid of the familiar bull's-eye on the package.

The Target brand line, which includes sunscreen, tissues and diapers, will now be more easily recognized across store aisles with packaging marked with a big, colorful arrow on a white background that says "up & up" -- the brand's new name.

"We believe that it will stand out on the shelf, and it is so distinctive that we'll get new guests that will want to try it that maybe didn't even notice the Target brand before," said Kathee Tesija, executive vice president of merchandising for Target, in an interview.

http://www.reuters.com/article/ousiv/idUSTRE54I6UK20090519

I'm not so happy about that, I liked the Target brand better with the bullseye logo.  All these arrows on the shelves will mess up the "clean look" of the stores.

I think it looks cheap but could have been a good idea for a specific baby brand only (growing up).  Now it looks like: Prices from $3 and up & up.

I think they call it "Up & Up" because it's "on the up and up", if you've ever heard that old saying before.

nims57

QuoteOriginally posted by truviking05
The local Target Greatland near me opened in 1993. I remember being very small, reading the construction sign, and thinking to myself, "What is a Target? I don't think I have ever been to Target..." lol. Anyway, they're expanding it like crazy--it's already huge and is going to become a Super Target with groceries, apparently. I like the idea :) There is a regular Target stoe in my actual town that opened in 2002, amid TONS of excitement from locals :)

Where is that Target?

MikeRa

A new 2 floor Target opened this past Sunday, October 11, in Springfield, Pa, at the Springfield Mall.  This new Target has the expanded Food section that's being added to almost all the Philadelphia area Target stores.

This new Target was built on the site of a former John Wanamaker/Hecht's/strawbridge's Department Store that closed whem Macy's took over May Department Store.  Macy's already has a store in the Springfield Mall that opened as Bamberger's Department Store.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

d_fife

Target opened 26 new Stores, including one in Lowell Mass near Chuck E Cheese and Hanover Mass.

WHEN WILL THEY OPEN ONE IN VERMONT!!!???

Will they ever have one around Lewiston / Auburn Maine? why is it that that is the last place chains in Maine enter?

and will they ever have one in Tilton NH or Seabrook NH?

why do they NEED two Targets near each other in Springfield PA? I saw the two near each other (The one in the mall was not open yet when I went in August)

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
Target opened 26 new Stores, including one in Lowell Mass near Chuck E Cheese and Hanover Mass.

WHEN WILL THEY OPEN ONE IN VERMONT!!!???

Will they ever have one around Lewiston / Auburn Maine? why is it that that is the last place chains in Maine enter?

and will they ever have one in Tilton NH or Seabrook NH?

I think that the Seabrook store is approved.  Lewiston/Auburn has to be a market for Target, but is there a new Walmart coming to Lewiston?  If that happens, Target would be too late to grab that area.

Tilton would be nice, or maybe Laconia/Gilford where a new Target store would easily win against the old and small Walmart.  vermont, I don't know, is there a law to force retailers to use existing space or something like that?

amesman

The deal with Vermont is basically that everywhere(most notably Rutland) Target wanted to go, the town wanted them to go into an existing building, and Target didn't want to go for that, so basically they have not bothered to open up there. That's basically what I've gathered as the reason why.

gu4ever

QuoteOriginally posted by amesman
The deal with Vermont is basically that everywhere(most notably Rutland) Target wanted to go, the town wanted them to go into an existing building, and Target didn't want to go for that, so basically they have not bothered to open up there. That's basically what I've gathered as the reason why.  
If they decide to look in the Rutland, VT area again there is the empty Hannaford location that sits between the route 4 business route and the route 4 bypass.
I remember when Target first moved into NH, they utilized the former Lechmere buildings in South Nashua at the Pheasant Lane Mall and the free standing location that was torn down and rebuilt in Salem, NH on route 28.

A link to the former Lechmere now a Target in Nashua.
http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=r3hcvz91d5sg&style=b&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&scene=1711877&ss=yp.pheasant%20lane%20mall~pg.1~sst.0&encType=1

A link to the former Lechmere now a Target in Salem.
http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=r3tph991yv2d&style=b&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&scene=30303378&ss=yp.target~pg.1~sst.0&encType=1

A link to the former Hannaford in Rutland, VT.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=rutland+vt&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=32.252269,60.996094&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Rutland,+Vermont&ll=43.590913,-72.971256&spn=0.003598,0.007446&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=43.591701,-72.969144&panoid=1aEvG9AXtw9Fk5KpiUv6dg&cbp=12,253.07,,0,-4.47

videogamer75

All the Targets in my area have now added the fresh foods departments. They do look nice, but I think they take up too much room. The other departments are now smaller in size. And in renovating, they also removed those cool neon lights from the walls.

nims57

QuoteOriginally posted by videogamer75
All the Targets in my area have now added the fresh foods departments. They do look nice, but I think they take up too much room. The other departments are now smaller in size. And in renovating, they also removed those cool neon lights from the walls.  

I miss the old neon lights and classic early 90's decor. Their new carts look cheap. On top of that, the old-school "Pizza Hut Express" sign at my Target is gone. I think the Target Greatland stores have been completely phased out by now. Never figured out what a "greatland" is though. I hope the first Greatland I ever saw, in Maryland, is still there. They just closed Taco Bell that the Greatlands had too.

videogamer75

Target Greatlands just had an expanded selection of merchandise. That's about it from what I know.

nims57

QuoteOriginally posted by videogamer75
Target Greatlands just had an expanded selection of merchandise. That's about it from what I know.  

Yes, not unlike "Big Kmart" was supposed to. I still wonder what  the name means. That the stores are bigger and take up more land? They had a nice logo though.

I think Target had stores (all Greatland) in Delaware and Maryland before PA. The Philadelphia Inquirer just did a big story on the new Targets. On their "Philadelphia area" map of Target stores, MD and DE were excluded. Bradlees might have entered New Jersey before PA too.

I have an idea: instead of overdoing the Supercenters, Wal-Mart should build Neighborhood Markets (with food) in this area to compete with Target.

videogamer75

The only Greatlands near me were located in in Mount Laurel, NJ and Cherry Hill, NJ. I think they have both been remodeled and are now just regular Targets.

nims57

What did earlier 80's Target interiors look like, such as the former Ayr-Way stores? Also did they build any new stores between about 1983 and the Richway acquisition?

videogamer75

Here's an old Target in Muncie, IN, as seen in 1988! (Courtesy of the Flickr user House of Hall) This one is a former Ayr-Way. I looked it up on Bing Maps, and it is now a Rural King (similar to Tractor Supply Co).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/houseofhall/3189217168/in/set-72157612446577615/

And the sign for that location:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/houseofhall/3189215024/in/set-72157612446577615/