Main Menu

K-Mart

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillyGr

They have begun demolition on the Albany (NY) stores at Central & 155, which closed last year - actually as of Sunday they were taking down the attached space which was originally Price Chopper and later a few other things but the whole building is going.
Will become a used car super store at some point.  The BK along Central in front of the property is now closed also as part of the project.

d_fife

Quote from: Hudsons81 on September 24, 2014, 07:05:20 PM
Quote from: AmesNewington on September 24, 2014, 05:39:16 PM
There has been talk of either a company wide closure of all Kmart and Sears stores next year or a closure of only Kmart itself. An employee at a local Home Depot said that HD would be taking the Kenmore brand. Is there any truth to this?

I haven't come across any news articles about that, so it's probably fake for now.

However, I will be visiting the Super Kmart in Southgate two more times-tomorrow and on it's last day in business, October 12.

Plus, there are actually no longer any Kmarts in Bloomfield Township, d_fife. The store there actually closed in December 2013.

I mean the one in Madison HEights MI

Hudsons81

Quote from: d_fife on September 24, 2014, 08:15:49 PM
Quote from: Hudsons81 on September 24, 2014, 07:05:20 PM
Quote from: AmesNewington on September 24, 2014, 05:39:16 PM
There has been talk of either a company wide closure of all Kmart and Sears stores next year or a closure of only Kmart itself. An employee at a local Home Depot said that HD would be taking the Kenmore brand. Is there any truth to this?

I haven't come across any news articles about that, so it's probably fake for now.

However, I will be visiting the Super Kmart in Southgate two more times-tomorrow and on it's last day in business, October 12.

Plus, there are actually no longer any Kmarts in Bloomfield Township, d_fife. The store there actually closed in December 2013.

I mean the one in Madison HEights MI

...which I already mentioned.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: d_fife on September 24, 2014, 03:12:48 PM
http://www.theindychannel.com/money/indianapolis-kmart-stores-set-to-close  2 in Indianapolis are going tooo.

Again Claremont NH and Torrington CT are closing.

Here is the story about Torrington's upcoming closing from the Torrington Register Citizen Newspaper.

http://www.registercitizen.com/general-news/20140924/torrington-kmart-to-close-in-december

d_fife

Quote from: Marc B on September 24, 2014, 08:54:48 PM
Quote from: d_fife on September 24, 2014, 03:12:48 PM
http://www.theindychannel.com/money/indianapolis-kmart-stores-set-to-close  2 in Indianapolis are going tooo.

Again Claremont NH and Torrington CT are closing.

Here is the story about Torrington's upcoming closing from the Torrington Register Citizen Newspaper.

http://www.registercitizen.com/general-news/20140924/torrington-kmart-to-close-in-december

are you surprised of the one in Torrington Closing?

how come NH got affected again with Kmart closings, there are 4 left in NH now. there were 12.

Hudsons81

36 brand-new photos taken by me today of the Southgate Super Kmart. Yes, this liquidation is actually a hybrid between liquidating a regular/Big Kmart and removing groceries simultaneously.

Exterior:

Outdoor furniture for sale in the former produce area:

Some parts of the apparel area have moved to where the books used to be:

What's left of the grocery section:

Looking towards the southwest corner:

Scars left behind by former shelves (the yellow wall in the background marks where the electronics area used to be (specifically, where the TVs and video game cases were placed)):

Indoor furniture used to be here:

Bath-wares were here:

Other parts of the apparel area stay where they were.

Checkouts.

Looking towards where the outdoor furniture, toys and garden center were, this area was also the site of one of my very last purchases made just before the liquidation was announced (which was a Mixels Flurr set):

Electronics has moved here:

The old bakery area is now blocked off.

The old deli.

The old frozen foods aisle.

A closer look into the old cafeteria:

Another look into the old grocery area:

Store shelving on sale:

More former grocery aisles:

Store signage on sale:

The former pharmacy:

A closeup of the signs that were piled up in the former grocery area. Just after taking these two pictures below, I actually picked up one of the "Price Scanner" signs and even messed up that pile of the three "Price Scanner" signs!

The old meat and dairy refridgerators:

Toys has now moved to where the greeting cards were:

Hope you enjoyed this photo tour!

d_fife

d_fife

Riedsville NC is going too. why is it minneapolis area will have 3 left. Whats with kmarts with some 2 million people metro areas have 2 or 3 left?

d_fife

Kinston NC is closing too.

d_fife

these Kmarts are closing too http://lakerlutznews.com/lln/?p=21872  new port richey and zyrpills

Ameskid

The Oakland Press has a large gallery of Kmart-related photos on their website.

This photo in particular stood out to me: it's part of what appears to be the opening procedures for the prototypical store with the green color scheme.  I haven't seen an interior photo of this scheme before...
http://media.theoaklandpress.com/2014/09/25/kmart-a-look-back-in-photos/#48
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

d_fife

these Kmarts are closing too http://lakerlutznews.com/lln/?p=21872  new port richey and zyrpills

Hudsons81

Quote from: Ameskid on September 30, 2014, 07:59:36 PM

This photo in particular stood out to me: it's part of what appears to be the opening procedures for the prototypical store with the green color scheme.  I haven't seen an interior photo of this scheme before...

Almost all of the photos on that page are of Kmart stores in Oakland County, MI (the lone exception is a few of the Kmart (former Super Kmart) on Telegraph Road in Detroit, which will also close on October 12), including the former Mini-Super Kmart in Auburn Hills and the prototypical store you mentioned in White Lake Township. There are also a few dozen photos of the former Troy headquarters.

d_fife

Quote from: Hudsons81 on October 03, 2014, 12:25:25 PM

Almost all of the photos on that page are of Kmart stores in Oakland County, MI (the lone exception is a few of the Kmart (former Super Kmart) on Telegraph Road in Detroit, which will also close on October 12), including the former Mini-Super Kmart in Auburn Hills and the prototypical store you mentioned in White Lake Township. There are also a few dozen photos of the former Troy headquarters.

why is Kmart even having problems in its OWN TERRITORIES? like the lone city Detroit one closig?

Hudsons81

Quote from: d_fife on October 03, 2014, 05:37:26 PM
Quote from: Hudsons81 on October 03, 2014, 12:25:25 PM

why is Kmart even having problems in its OWN TERRITORIES? like the lone city Detroit one closig?

Even their de-facto flagship store at Maple and Livernois Roads in Troy (the closest to their old headquarters) closed in 2009. There's a new movie theater on that site now in a new building.

d_fife

Kmart in Marysville ohio too is not on the list anymore is that closing too??? Well a meijer just opened there and they have a WALMARt. and the Kmart w as out in the middle of nowhere.

the more competitors. the more Kmart goes.

d_fife

it wont happen and I was told 53 Kmarts in the US are closing. wow! why is it some markets like CIncinnati etc have gotten HIT SUVERLY hard. and marysville ohio is closing.

I remember when I never herd of Kmart and WAlmart and Kmart was bigger now look.

Hudsons81

Quote from: d_fife on October 04, 2014, 12:27:24 PM
it wont happen and I was told 53 Kmarts in the US are closing. wow! why is it some markets like CIncinnati etc have gotten HIT SUVERLY hard. and marysville ohio is closing.

I remember when I never herd of Kmart and WAlmart and Kmart was bigger now look.

The Detroit and Chicago markets (both the home territories of Kmart and Sears) were hit very hard too.

Hudsons81

As of one week from today, there will no longer be any Kmart stores in Wayne County, Michigan south of I-94 (other than one at the southeast corner of I-94 and Rawsonville Road along the Washtenaw County line). Today, the liquidation sale at the Super Kmart in Southgate is now in "last 8 days" mode.

Other stores in Wayne County south of I-94 that have shut down:

• Flat Rock-opened 1979, was among the many stores closed during bankruptcy in 2003, still vacant today-in fact, the entire shopping center it anchored is vacant!
  • Lincoln Park (was a Super Kmart)-opened 1994, also among the many stores closed during bankruptcy in 2003, reopened as Meijer 2004
  • Melvindale-closed at some point in the 1980's, later a temporary Saint Vincent de Paul thrift store, now a megachurch
  • Southgate-opened as one of the original 1962 stores, closed 1994, later Office Depot, has been Dunham's Sports for ten years and about two months now (opened August 2004). Included a Kmart Foods, which was later Farmer Jack and has been Kroger since circa the year 2000. Building no longer recognizable as a Kmart.
  • Taylor (the Big Kmart at Telegraph and Goddard, not the Super Kmart on Van Born Road, which will remain open)-opened 1971, also among the many stores closed during bankruptcy in 2003, now Home Depot
  • Woodhaven-opened March 11, 1971; closed January 23, 2013; still vacant today!

I'll bet that once we enter 2020, Kmart will have ceased to exist along with possibly Sears-that's right, an already-struggling retailer purchases a successful one and takes that one down as well.

It's hard to believe that 50 years ago, Kmart stores were opening like wildfire and now today, exactly the opposite is taking place as I type this.

d_fife

Quote from: Hudsons81 on October 04, 2014, 01:11:43 PM
Quote from: d_fife on October 04, 2014, 12:27:24 PM

The Detroit and Chicago markets (both the home territories of Kmart and Sears) were hit very hard too.

I have noticed this but at least they have 2 dozen stores left. Why would they when those are Kmarts home terroitories.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

With the news of Kmart and Sears' bad reputation in the United States, I can only wonder how that will affect their Australian and New Zealand stores. I have a feeling that if Kmart's bad reputation were to rub off in Australia/New Zealand, those stores will be converted to other well-known retailers in those areas, such as Target (Australia), Big W (Australia), The Warehouse (New Zealand), and others.