Previous topic - Next topic

shakethis1234

once a mall now Drivers Village an auto mall

shakethis1234

was the best mall in syracuse at one time

Anonymous

had sears hills Coldor later sears became Office max Burlington Coat Factory

amesman

yup, Caldor is still vacany, the old Hills(Ames), is a showroom now, ans, the Office Max/Burlington Coat Factory is still going(as of July 2004..heh)

Anonymous

i thought caldor turned into a show room for cars too did it move into the former hills/ames?

amesman

yes, Caldor was a showroom for awhile, but, when Ames closed, they moved it in there.

shakethis1234

Caldor store is not empty. if you go to www.driversvillage.com where caldor use to be is now a Kia Buike Hummer Dodge and another dealer ship
the caldor enterance is still it now the enterence to drivers village commons inside the mall.

shakethis1234

Hoytes Theater will close for good Dec 29 and will become a BMW dealer ship

StarSage

During a recent visit to a Dead Mall site I read up on the Penn Can Mall built in the late 60's near Syracuse. Having grown up over an hour away near Corning, I had never been to this mall but had many fond memories of school shopping at Hills in Horseheads.

Here is a link to a newspaper article detailing the opening of the Penn Can Mall's Hills Department Store, the third of the chain's stores to open.

Hills Opens Third Store

wonderham

I just recently discovered this site (and forum), and noticed this thread about Penn Can Mall.

If anyone is interested I've written a detailed description of the rise and fall of Penn Can in the "History" section of my site:

Penn Can Mall

As you'll see, there's also a lot of video captures of the mall from the 80s as well as more recent "dead mall" style pictures. There's also a mall map, list of stores, and a bunch of newspaper articles (the one linked in the previous post is from my site).

I hope you enjoy the site!

powersbt

I have seen your website, and was very impressed. A lot of good stuff on there. Always nice to see a site like that dedicated to preserving the past.

QuoteOriginally posted by wonderham
I just recently discovered this site (and forum), and noticed this thread about Penn Can Mall.

If anyone is interested I've written a detailed description of the rise and fall of Penn Can in the "History" section of my site:

Penn Can Mall

As you'll see, there's also a lot of video captures of the mall from the 80s as well as more recent "dead mall" style pictures. There's also a mall map, list of stores, and a bunch of newspaper articles (the one linked in the previous post is from my site).

I hope you enjoy the site!

d_fife

here is the sign of drivers village.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
here is the sign of drivers village.

old cinema

d_fife

here is the old sears auto center

d_fife

here is the old caldor in the pen cann mall

d_fife

more of the old caldor. the caldor was added in fall 1994 and closed in the spring 1996 (when all the syracuse and rochester stores closed)

d_fife

more of the old caldor. the caldor was added in fall 1994 and closed in the spring 1996 (when all the syracuse and rochester stores closed)

more of the former caldor

d_fife

more of the former caldor

the back of the caldor and former hill's (ames)

d_fife

former hill's (Ames) with the nessian in front. the store was 80,000 square feet and opened october 1983.

d_fife

former hill's (Ames) with the nessian in front. the store was 80,000 square feet and opened october 1983.

more former ames / hill's.

d_fife

more former ames / hill's.

sign of the former hill's and now drivers village

d_fife

here is the pen cann mall in cicero ny off 81 on the jucntion of 481. now how popular was it. Did it open in 1975? I heard there was a sears and in like 1992 it became officemax and burlington coat and I w*onder how it pulled out. I get the carousel mall killed it. I heard it had kb toys and got a west wing in 1993 and stienbach it had and some department store chain.

here is some of what is now the drivers village.

d_fife

here is the pen cann mall in cicero ny off 81 on the jucntion of 481. now how popular was it. Did it open in 1975? I heard there was a sears and in like 1992 it became officemax and burlington coat and I w*onder how it pulled out. I get the carousel mall killed it. I heard it had kb toys and got a west wing in 1993 and stienbach it had and some department store chain.

here is some of what is now the drivers village.

more of drivers village. I heard one part of the mall was 2 levels.

d_fife

d_fife

d_fife

d_fife

d_fife

officemax that was once sears and will be moving soon

d_fife

officemax that was once sears and will be moving soon

more of the officemax and burlington coat factory that was once sears.

d_fife

here is the more of the mall