Main Menu

Hannaford

Started by d_fife, December 22, 2005, 10:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gu4ever

Hannaford's lobby, through the doors you can see the former checkout area.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

gu4ever

A framed blueprint of the 1997 Hannaford store. This was found laying on the lobby floor.

gu4ever

Label scar of the Hannaford sign.

gu4ever

Heading South on route 7 I discovered the new Hannaford store. I stopped to take a couple of exterior photo's.

gu4ever

A close up view of the new Hannaford sign.

gu4ever

A close up view of the south entrance to the new Hannaford store. This location was built for Stop&Shop and I'm not sure if this store actually opened for business or not?
Does anyone have any info on this new Stop&Shop building, and the quick move on Hannafords part to grab the location?

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by gu4ever
A close up view of the south entrance to the new Hannaford store. This location was built for Stop&Shop and I'm not sure if this store actually opened for business or not?

Does anyone have any info on this new Stop&Shop building, and the quick move on Hannafords part to grab the location?

Don't have info but it does look like a Stop&Shop.  That's not a common Hannaford design at all.

videogamer75

That looks exactly like the former Stop & Shop in Rio Grande, NJ. It was only open for about a year (2005 to 2006 I think)

BillyGr

That sure does look like most of the new Stop & Shops - however it seems to be a strange spot for one.

S&S has only 6 stores in New Hampshire, and all of those are less than 20 miles from the NH/MA border, none of which are further than about 60 miles from the coast and 5 of the 6 (Bedford, Manchester x 2, Hudson and Milford) are within 10-15 miles of each other - the 6th is Exeter, closer to the coast but still not far from MA.  They also have only one listing in ME (Kennebunk, which isn't too far into ME from NH and probably only 25-30 miles (ish) from Exeter.

They have no stores in Vermont, which means that this store would be a good 70 miles from their nearest store (North Adams, Massachusetts), 1/2 or so of that via 2 lane roads with many towns to travel through, so probably a 1 1/2-2 hour trip each way to supply it.  Seem that if they wanted to move into Vermont, they would try a place like Bennington, or even Brattleboro on the other side, neither of which is more than 10 or 20 miles from their Massachusetts base.

Which leads me to this:

Not knowing when the store started being built, it is possible that the plan was for it to be a Tops Market?  Since Ahold owned Tops for a while, and they had that bunch of old Grand Union stores on the NY side of the border (the one in Whitehall, NY would have been only 25 miles +/- from Rutland), maybe they were thinking of expanding from that direction, and since being co-owned would have used the existing prototype store from S&S?

P.S. - I saw the Rio Grande one and thought that looked like a Stop & Shop also.  Was that a totally new store, or a replacement for one that had been part of the Giant (MD) chain when they converted those over to S&S?

videogamer75

I'm not 100% sure since I didn't start going down to that area until last year, but I think it was a former Super G store (a label Giant used when they used to have stores here). For some reason, even though I've lived in New Jersey since the 90s, I don't remember ever seeing a Super G. I guess they didn't have stores in the areas I was usually in.

nims57

QuoteOriginally posted by videogamer75
I'm not 100% sure since I didn't start going down to that area until last year, but I think it was a former Super G store (a label Giant used when they used to have stores here). For some reason, even though I've lived in New Jersey since the 90s, I don't remember ever seeing a Super G. I guess they didn't have stores in the areas I was usually in.  

Super G in Trenton: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrambojr/166119714/

Super G in PA:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62355920@N00/3612559129/in/set-72157619713529268/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62355920@N00/3610219052/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62355920@N00/3828316199/in/set-72157619713529268/

videogamer75

Neat pictures....I've been to Trenton as well as most of eastern PA, but I still don't recall seeing those stores. I guess it's because I wasn't interested in retail until last year.

nims57

QuoteOriginally posted by videogamer75

Out of curiosity, where did you used to live?

videogamer75

I have always lived in NJ, I was born in the early 90s.

gu4ever

QuoteOriginally posted by gu4ever
A good comparison shot to the new Hannaford store.
Stop&Shop entrance on Valley Street in Manchester, NH.

gu4ever

The familiar Shop 'n Save street sign of Schaghticoke.

gu4ever

Shop 'n Save store of Schaghticoke, NY. This was formerly a Grand Union Supermarket.

gu4ever

"Welcome" to Shop 'n Save........ A division of Hannafords.

gu4ever

Pick a bouquet flower shop at Shop 'n Save, this is a vintage piece from the former Grand Union days.

gu4ever

This sign formerly Clean, Fresh and Good Make a GRAND UNION now sports a new image from Shop 'n Save.
You can also see the vintage red dot decal attached to both the glass doors.

gu4ever

This store was originally located in the Bedford Mall and was know as Alexander's it moved into it's current location pictured here in the late 80's. The store added the name Shop 'n Save to Alexander's and eventually went through an exstensive remodel including a brand new entrance with it's glass arch over the entry and the new store sign Hannaford.

gu4ever

A sharper view of the store sign.

gu4ever

The Goffstown, NH store.

gu4ever

This is the location on Hanover Street in Manchester. This shopping center was also home to Rich's department store, AMES and now building 19.

gu4ever

This is the Hooksett, NH store which has recently gone through an exstensive remodel to the interior and exterior of the store including a brand new entrance.

gu4ever

A sharper view of the store sign and entrance.

gu4ever

The store on John Divine Dr. This location also has been through an exstensive remodel with a brand new entrance added to the right of the building.

gu4ever

A different angle of the John Divine location, this shows the original entrance on the left side which now is used to exit from the checkouts inside.

gu4ever

The brand new Bedford, NH store on route 101.
I ran out of daylight so the image is a little dark.

gu4ever

This is a close up of the store sign in Bedford, NH on route 101.