Neshaminy Mall

Started by storehistoryguy, December 18, 2005, 10:43:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

storehistoryguy

Discuss.
Anchor Stores: Boscov's, Sears and Strawbridges and Clothier.

storehistoryguy

Neshaminy in the 60s. The place really looks nothing like that anymore.

MikeRa

Current anchors at Neshaminy Mall:

Sears
Macy's (Former strawbridge & Clothier)
Boscov's (Former Lit Brothers, Pomeroy's and The Bon-Ton)
AMC Neshaminy 24 Theatre

Current and Former outlying store:

Pathmark/Genuardi Super Market/Genuardi's Family Markets (since demolished)
Sears Auto Center
On The Border Mexican Restaurant

:saint:
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

EddieJ1984

Driving down Route 1 the other week I noticed something was sadly missing.
The old tall Neshaminy Mall road sign, gonna miss it, which they just updated the sign to the current black and green signage the mall has.
There is a picture before (from google maps) and now.

MikeRa

Quote from: EddieJ1984 on April 21, 2018, 07:48:19 PM
Driving down Route 1 the other week I noticed something was sadly missing.
The old tall Neshaminy Mall road sign, gonna miss it, which they just updated the sign to the current black and green signage the mall has.
There is a picture before (from google maps) and now.

that totem pole sign has been gone for almost a year, just as Macy's has been gone as well.  The anchors are now:

• Sears
  • Boscov's
  • Barnes & Nobel
  • AMC Neshaminy 24 with IMAX & Dolby Cinema

mixedday

Neshaminy Mall has too much competition around it.

On the side to it's south less than 10 miles is Philadelphia Mills (formerly Franklin Mills). It pulls in a lot of the urban customers while depriving Neshaminy of that block. To it's north of Neshaminy, less than 10 miles, is Oxford Valley. Macy's chose to Oxford Valley over Neshaminy, and Oxford Valley also has JCPenney. It siphons off customers, who might be white collar customers. Then, there is also Willow Grove Park which isn't too far as well, and that's even a stronger mall than Oxford Valley.

However, Neshaminy still has good highway access in general and it's a diverse area around the mall. Also, the AMC screens and On the Border, and few other establishments draws in a lot of younger people. There is an upscale part of the mall with the Barnes & Noble. I think the former macy's anchor site isn't bad, but maybe it's still wait and see with Sears.

I dunno - I think Target should relocate out of the big box center (kind of tucked at the back) and into the mall, perhaps the macy's location, although I like the Sears spot better. I assume Sears will close. The other anchor could be converted to an entertainment attraction.

MikeRa

Quote from: mixedday on July 09, 2018, 07:25:04 AM

On the side to it's south less than 10 miles is Philadelphia Mills (formerly Franklin Mills). It pulls in a lot of the urban customers while depriving Neshaminy of that block. To it's north of Neshaminy, less than 10 miles, is Oxford Valley. Macy's chose to Oxford Valley over Neshaminy, and Oxford Valley also has JCPenney. It siphons off customers, who might be white collar customers. Then, there is also Willow Grove Park which isn't too far as well, and that's even a stronger mall than Oxford Valley.

However, Neshaminy still has good highway access in general and it's a diverse area around the mall. Also, the AMC screens and On the Border, and few other establishments draws in a lot of younger people. There is an upscale part of the mall with the Barnes & Noble. I think the former macy's anchor site isn't bad, but maybe it's still wait and see with Sears.

I dunno - I think Target should relocate out of the big box center (kind of tucked at the back) and into the mall, perhaps the macy's location, although I like the Sears spot better. I assume Sears will close. The other anchor could be converted to an entertainment attraction.
the owners of Neshaminy Mall have been trying to place an entertainment center in the Macy's site, but Macy's is not allowing it since they still own the building.  I also heard that ShopRite wants to put a store in Neshaminy Mall.

giantsfan2016

Quote from: MikeRa on November 28, 2018, 04:41:47 PM
the owners of Neshaminy Mall have been trying to place an entertainment center in the Macy's site, but Macy's is not allowing it since they still own the building.  I also heard that ShopRite wants to put a store in Neshaminy Mall.

The Westfield Meriden Square Mall in Meriden, Connecticut is in the same boat. Sears owns their space at that mall so Westfield has no say what happens to that space once Sears wraps up operations at the end of January. There is word that Westfield will try to buy the space from Sears. Westfield may attempt to put a movie theater in part of that space. That was the rumor when Penney's shut down in 2014 before Boscov's ultimately opened in that space in 2015. It's also a shame that Penney's isn't doing that great. I know a lot of people who would love for Penney's to return to that mall. I wish Belk would come up to Connecticut from down South.

mixedday

Quote from: MikeRa on November 28, 2018, 04:41:47 PM
Quote from: mixedday on July 09, 2018, 07:25:04 AM

the owners of Neshaminy Mall have been trying to place an entertainment center in the Macy's site, but Macy's is not allowing it since they still own the building.  I also heard that ShopRite wants to put a store in Neshaminy Mall.

It's likely the Neshaminy Mall ownership, Brookfield Properties, didn't want to buy out the macy's building at Neshaminy. In comparison, PREIT bought out the former Strawbridge's at Cherry Hill Mall (when macy's merged with may co.) and Strawbridge's/macy's building in Moorestown Mall, in order for it to control the future of the sites. Likely, macys wants to sell the building and not lease it out.

Also, the macy's in Neshaminy is like the Sears in Moorestown. 3 levels, with the lowest level being a basement level.

Not that I like this idea (nor would Boscov's), but could Wal-Mart buy out the macy's anchor and maybe a part of the mall if necessary, and decide to build a super Walmart taking a large portion of the Neshaminy Mall?

I guess it could be a 24 hours/~200,000 sq. ft store but it would replace:
Bensalem
Walmart #5131
3461 Horizon Blvd

I don't think that store is a super Walmart. Not sure if Boscov would have veto power. Sometimes, existing anchors have veto power to block a new anchor, but in this case, it's replacement of an existing anchor, but the Boscov's wing is accessed from passing the macy's side. I'd rather see a Wegmans, but it might be more Wal-mart demographic than Wegmans.

EddieJ1984

Well sadly since Macy's closed in 2017, Neshaminy Mall was never quite the same, then 2018 Sears closing, Modell's going out of business shortly before 2020 then that putting a dent into Round 1's plans of going in the former Sears space and the medical offices never happening.
Brookfield sold the mall to Paramount Realty &  Edgewood Properties.

The enter mall portion seems will be demolished, keeping the AMC Theatres, Boscov's & Barnes & Noble, along with the former Macy*s which is slated to become a Fusions Gym and the Uno & On The Border in the parking lot.