Ocean State Job Lot in Albany closing its doors

Started by Retail Regents, August 03, 2023, 01:41:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retail Regents

The lease has expired for the Ocean State Job Lot in Westgate Plaza, and will be closing around August 6th.

BillyGr

Hopefully they will find another spot in the area that is larger (this store was quite small, and thus always looked bad as they were trying to fit in as much as they would in other stores that are much larger).

Also at least an employee or two that weren't the best, which may have caused some not to go there.

Retail Regents

Quote from: BillyGr on August 03, 2023, 02:09:36 PMHopefully they will find another spot in the area that is larger (this store was quite small, and thus always looked bad as they were trying to fit in as much as they would in other stores that are much larger).

Also at least an employee or two that weren't the best, which may have caused some not to go there.

The only two spaces I can see that are ideal in case they do what Ollie's did when their lease was terminated in their original Albany store would be the Bed Bath & Beyond space that was recently left behind. Or perhaps the long-vacant Barnes & Noble that keeps getting filled with Spirit Halloween. Otherwise I don't see anything in the Albany-Colonie-Latham area that would be a good fit for them.

BillyGr

Quote from: Retail Regents on August 03, 2023, 04:40:07 PM
Quote from: BillyGr on August 03, 2023, 02:09:36 PMHopefully they will find another spot in the area that is larger (this store was quite small, and thus always looked bad as they were trying to fit in as much as they would in other stores that are much larger).

The only two spaces I can see that are ideal in case they do what Ollie's did when their lease was terminated in their original Albany store would be the Bed Bath & Beyond space that was recently left behind. Or perhaps the long-vacant Barnes & Noble that keeps getting filled with Spirit Halloween. Otherwise I don't see anything in the Albany-Colonie-Latham area that would be a good fit for them.

Those would make sense (especially the BBB spot, since that would fit their trend of using former supermarkets as it was a ShopRite the first time they were in the Albany area).

Not sure if they would want to be in a mall-based spot, but there will be a spot there soon as well (with that Christmas Tree chain going away), and that could probably be sized to fit with the setup of the entries on the one side from both mall and outside, thus a piece could be walled off on the opposite side if it was too large.