Lord & taylor is closing all stores

Started by Retail_247, May 05, 2020, 10:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brammy

If they do in fact close, this will be the first time Westfarms Mall in West Hartford, Connecticut has has a vacant anchor space since the 90s.
The Real Brammy

danfifepsu

Quote from: bjs203marc on May 06, 2020, 06:34:38 PM
If they do in fact close, this will be the first time Westfarms Mall in West Hartford, Connecticut has has a vacant anchor space since the 90s.

what can replace it?

Ameskid

I feel like most anchor store vacancies are here to stay for a while.
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

TRU7536

Quote from: danfifepsu on May 06, 2020, 08:47:25 PM
Quote from: bjs203marc on May 06, 2020, 06:34:38 PM

what can replace it?

I could see them trying to get Bloomingdales, but at 115000 sf could be small for them unless the expand the building.
Taubman properties really focused on upscale malls, so who knows with Simon taking over in a few months all their properties.

AmesNewington

There is a chance the Westfarms store won't stay empty long. They will try and get a replacement. Probably not right away due to whats going on but they always seem to bounce back from losses. I see this mall being around for a long time.

Brammy

Nordstrom at Westfarms is closing too. So now the "upscale" mall will be dealing with 2 vacant anchors.

King of Prussia Mall will be losing Lord and Taylor. And if Neiman Marcus with their bankruptcy closes they will have 3 vacant anchors. The former JC Penney at the KOP Mall was still vacant when I visited Labor Day Weekend. I thought they were supposed to be converting the former JCP at KOP to Office Space and/or condos or both, but it didn't look like anything was being done. Simon property group better hope that Nordstrom keeps their KOP store open.

The Real Brammy

TRU7536

Quote from: bjs203marc on May 07, 2020, 04:20:27 PM
Nordstrom at Westfarms is closing too. So now the "upscale" mall will be dealing with 2 vacant anchors.

King of Prussia Mall will be losing Lord and Taylor. And if Neiman Marcus with their bankruptcy closes they will have 3 vacant anchors. The former JC Penney at the KOP Mall was still vacant when I visited Labor Day Weekend. I thought they were supposed to be converting the former JCP at KOP to Office Space and/or condos or both, but it didn't look like anything was being done. Simon property group better hope that Nordstrom keeps their KOP store open.

Westfarms not one of the 16

https://www.wtnh.com/news/nordstrom-westfarms-store-not-one-of-16-closing/

mixedday

Lord & Taylor had a significant presence in Central and Northern NJ.

Before COVID, I thought Boscov would make a good fit for the Columbia Mall (Columbia MD) and three Central NJ stores (Quaker Bridge, Freehold Raceway and Bridgewater Commons) as they were strong malls in the periphery areas of where Boscov operates. This was if Lord & Taylor were to sell these stores or close them for Boscov to have the opportunity.

If Boscov is pressured out of Monmouth Mall, it could move to Freehold Raceway Mall with the Lord & Taylor space opening. But that was all pre-Covid. I have no idea if Boscov will be in any shape to assume locations even a couple years from now.

I just did a curbside pickup from Kohl's yesterday. I think Kohl's has been faster in setting up curbside and might be able to rebound well enough, over the other national department stores.

Apparently Kohl's closed a store in Princeton, but it could return to the area in the primary apparel hub at the Quaker Bridge with less competition now. Sears also closed in that mall, so the competition would be macy's and a (possibly out the door) JCPenney. It was not too long ago, Quaker Bridge was a healthy mall - and it had stores like Apple, but once it re-opens, it will be a dying mall.

FitchMike26

I would like to try curbside pickup from Kohl's. Which location did you use that was offering that?

mixedday

Quote from: FitchMike26 on May 13, 2020, 08:05:02 AM
I would like to try curbside pickup from Kohl's. Which location did you use that was offering that?

In Cherry Hill NJ but I think it's available through many stores:

https://www.kohls.com/feature/driveup.jsp?icid=tce-drive-up__header__my-store

mixedday

In addition to Freehold Raceway Mall losing Lord & Taylor, it will be losing Nordstrom was well:

https://njbiz.com/nordstrom-close-16-stores-permanently-including-1-nj/

I suppose Boscov has a choice of that site if it wanted it, and it already worked a deal with Nordstrom in Providence before.