27 more Sears/Kmart stores closing

Started by retailisking, February 06, 2020, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

retailisking

Including the next-to-last Sears in Maine (Brunswick)
https://wgme.com/news/local/sears-to-close-brunswick-store-in-april

AmesNewington

Quote from: retailisking on February 06, 2020, 10:13:39 AM

The Holyoke, MA Kmart store is on this list. It's supposed to close in April. I'm glad I got to go in November of last year before Christmas. I'm not surprised it is closing as it is in rough shape, was half stocked in November, and it is not in a great area. Not sure if I will get back, but if not, I will probably never visit a Kmart again as it was the last one within a reasonable distance. I now only have the Manchester, CT Sears store and the Sears Outlet in Newington.

Everything Community

Quote from: AmesNewington on February 06, 2020, 06:13:02 PM
Quote from: retailisking on February 06, 2020, 10:13:39 AM

The Holyoke, MA Kmart store is on this list. It's supposed to close in April. I'm glad I got to go in November of last year before Christmas. I'm not surprised it is closing as it is in rough shape, was half stocked in November, and it is not in a great area. Not sure if I will get back, but if not, I will probably never visit a Kmart again as it was the last one within a reasonable distance. I now only have the Manchester, CT Sears store and the Sears Outlet in Newington.

I was at "this" Kmart twice last year (late June & early November). As of my last visit, they had many of the Christmas products all over. I may come back for the very last time in these few coming months. Better act now!

TRU7536

its really sad in April we will be down to 45 stores.

However the two stores in Manhattan and 2 in the Bronx I am convinced will be the last ones to go.

danfifepsu

Quote from: TRU7536 on February 08, 2020, 07:05:45 PM

However the two stores in Manhattan and 2 in the Bronx I am convinced will be the last ones to go.

Nope the one in Penn Station is closing.

AmesNewington

I visited the Sears in Manchester, CT yesterday (#1443). I placed an online order for pickup. I was only able to retrieve one of the items, as the truck it was being transported in apparently lost the remainder of the order. That was frustrating, but they refunded me on those items. Long story short, I did some shopping inside for some clothing. As I walked around, I noticed a drastic reduction in inventory. The housewares section was cut drastically. There used to be small aisles set up in that area and with the exception of a few, the rest was taken out and sparse items were scattered about to fill space. The toy department behind the home department was eliminated altogether. They put more sporting goods in that space which wasn't much to begin with. Tools and Automotive takes up most of the back of the first floor. Upstairs, clothing was rearranged and baby furniture was either reduced or eliminated. Shoes and jewelry is still very much widely stocked. The store was steady busy, although it probably was dead compared to other stores. There were lines at the registers, but not too bad. Some customers had full carts of clothing and several store pickups took place around my own pickup and there is a steady appliance customer base here. The cashiers are forced to push the store credit cards on everyone, which is annoying to shoppers and associates. I still like visiting there for clothes. I wish it was a Kmart as I could find more there, but I'm enjoying this Sears while I can.

JimSawhill

Will the last shopper in Kmart please turn off the flashing blue light? I might have to check if Caldor or Ames or Bradlee is available to be revived...

nysw3636

Sear's in Poughkeepsie, NY (POK Galleria) is closing. "Going Out Of Business" signs are up. This leaves only 1 location in the Hudson Valley. That being Newburgh, NY.

danfifepsu

a friend of mine said to me of Kmart "face it , it's over".

TRU7536

Quote from: danfifepsu on February 09, 2020, 11:18:17 AM
Quote from: TRU7536 on February 08, 2020, 07:05:45 PM

Nope the one in Penn Station is closing.

You are correct, just read the article. Went into once when i worked two blocks over before moving to NC. The opening of Target a few blocks over might have hurt it. However the store was sad and depressing and that whole retail block is being redeveloped anyways. When I had back to NY next week, might have to stop by it.

Was 143,000 square and 4 levels.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/warrenshoulberg/2020/02/10/the-latest-kmart-closing-34th-street-in-manhattan/#2091fdc75c73

TRU7536

Quote from: danfifepsu on February 11, 2020, 11:02:40 AM
a friend of mine said to me of Kmart "face it , it's over".

Quote I just read about Kmart:  “the longest going-out-of-business sale in American retailing history.”

mixedday

Sears is slashing a number of NJ locations:
https://nj1015.com/kmart-and-2-more-sears-stores-closing-macys-in-nj-remain-open/

Store Closing Started:

Moorestown
Woodbridge Center
Freehold Raceway Mall (maybe a 1 floor downsized store)

https://patch.com/new-jersey/newbrunswick/sears-close-rt-1-location-new-brunswick-company-confirms

April Closures
Route 1 New Brunswick
Livingston

Interestingly, Lord & Taylor closed Moorestown and Woodbridge Ctr  together and Sears is now closing Moorestown and Woodbridge Ctr. together. Woodbridge is in the north part of the state, while Moorestown in the South.

Sears is leaving the southern and central parts of NJ. It also is closing Concord Mall in Wilmington, DE, leaving Delaware entirely. It has just a couple of locations west of Philly (Media-former Granite Run Mall location, Willow Grove Park Mall) left for the entire region.

Zayre88

How many states left with a Kmart after that round of closures?

I've read that we're loosing the last store in Colorado and in Illinois.

danfifepsu

Quote from: Zayre88 on February 13, 2020, 07:21:23 PM

12 states , and 45 stores left. West Lebanon NH and Hyannis Mass the only ones left in NH.

MikeRa

Quote from: Zayre88 on February 13, 2020, 07:21:23 PM

There will only be 17 Kmart stores , and 6 Sears Department Stores left in all of Pennsylvania (not counting Hometown Stores and Appliance Outlet Stores in Bridgeville and Philadelphia Mills Mall)
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"