JOANN Fabrics in Waterbury, CT to close

Started by AmesNewington, February 03, 2020, 05:31:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmesNewington

The JOANN Fabric store in Waterbury, CT is closing. In my opinion, it always seemed a little out of place in that area from what I can tell. It is located next to Ollie's Bargain Outlet, which used to be a portion of the longtime Kmart that closed in 2013. The JoAnn store was obviously a K Foods or something related to Kmart years ago as it retains that vintage look. It resembles the old Xpect Discounts in Cromwell on the outside which was also K Foods at one point. It lasted a long time for Waterbury.

https://patch.com/connecticut/naugatuck/waterbury-joann-fabric-store-closing

scottw73

That location was also Service Merchandise at one point, also the Modells just a few doors down, closed as well. Hopefully a new tenant will take over that space and breathe some new life into that shopping center

Cennahville_Ames

It's a Sad Day in The Brass City.I'm expecting a scathing editorial by Mr. Pape in this week Sunday Republican American. How dare the JoAnne Fabrics people leaving us high and dry!

Brammy

Quote from: scottw73 on February 03, 2020, 11:18:56 AM
That location was also Service Merchandise at one point, also the Modells just a few doors down, closed as well. Hopefully a new tenant will take over that space and breathe some new life into that shopping center

Don't count on it. There was already way too much vacant space in the Wolcott Street area and that was before Modell's closing adding another 18,000 Square Foot vacancy and Joann's closing adding another 26,000 square foot vacancy.

The former Caldor Plaza on the corner of Wolcott Street and Lakewood Road is mostly vacant. Right now the only operating tenant is Planet Fitness. Later this year it's being joined by an Addition Treatment Center called Wheeler Clinic.

The Brass City Diner at 998 Wolcott Street closed several years ago. They weren't even there that long. Previously it was another diner that ultimately shut down because there was a homicide there.
'
There are numerous vacancies in the Naugatuck Valley Shopping Center. The largest vacancy being the 35,000 Square Foot former Linen's and Things. Aside from briefly being home to a smell temporary book store the space has been empty since Linen's and Things went under. I will give props to the fact that in 2019 an Ashley Home Store Outlet store opened in this plaza. I believe it's where The Rag Shop used to be, another space that remained vacant since that store closed.

Don't get me started on Mallview Plaza, the plaza located behind the Naugatuck Valley Shopping Center. Though their address is 117 Sharon Road, there's no access from Sharon Road. The only way to access this plaza is an access road from the side of the Naugatuck Valley Shopping Center. Last I knew there was only 3 tenants in Mallview Plaza - Apple Cinemas, Comcast Access Channel 13, and a nasty Chinese Buffet called Mr Wok. The Weight Watcher's location that was in this plaza moved into the Naugatuck Valley Shopping Center. And the store front church moved elsewhere in Waterbury.

At ShopRite Plaza 943 Wolcott Street, the gym that opened in the Old TJ Maxx closed after not even 2 years in business. That's a 25,000 Square Foot Vacancy. Next door to that Mattress Firm closed. A 4,000 vacancy was added when Denny's closed in October 2019. And a portion of the former American Steakhouse remains empty. Part of it became a dental office, I think.

Which brings us back to the subject plaza. The former KMART Plaza. It wasn't too bad until Modell's and now Joann's closed. The largest vacancy until they closed was the daycare center that closed after their license got revoked after a Child Abuse case went viral. A new medical clinic recently opened (or is about to open) in this plaza. I think in part of the former daycare center.

New tenants? Not happening.

Applebee's failed. The 99 Restaurant failed. Denny's failed.  (Denny's closure may have something to do with the mouse problem). Price Chopper Failed (and is now a relocated ShopRite. June will be 12 years since they moved over there). Marshall's failed. (They're Harbor Freight and Norm's Gym). Petco and TJ Maxx both moved from Wolcott Street to The Brass Mill Commons in the former Shaw's. Saver's Failed (and is another Thrift Store called Red White and Blue, which relocated from Thomaston Ave).

As for chains that are still opening stores? Ulta Beauty and Five Below opened a few years ago in the former Office Max in the Brass Mill Commons. Dick's Sporing Goods opened in the former Toys R Us in the Brass Mill Commons in 2019.

Hobby Lobby. I don't think they're doing that well in Connecticut. They already had one in East Haven for a couple of years before opening 3 more in 2014 in Bristol, Milford, and Manchester. Back then they said they were interested in the Waterbury and Danbury areas, but neither of those have happened.

Ross and Shoe Carnival both have no desire to enter Connecticut.

Burlington is already in Waterbury in the Brass Mill Mall.

Despite closing 60 stores across all their brands, Bed Bath Beyond still plans on opening some new stores. Waterbury won't happen. They could've opened their name sake brand in Waterbury along with The Christmas Tree Shoppe and that years ago.
The Real Brammy

scottw73

What about a trampoline park? Something has to go there, could Ollies potentially expand? I don’t think the owners of this plaza will let these spaces stay vacant for long

TRU7536

There is already a Ollie's location in Waterbury:  881 Wolcott Street. Waterbury, CT 6705 which took part of the old Kmart building where Joann's and Modells were located.

scottw73

Quote from: TRU7536 on February 08, 2020, 07:28:41 PM
There is already a Ollie's location in Waterbury:  881 Wolcott Street. Waterbury, CT 6705 which took part of the old Kmart building where Joann's and Modells were located.

I meant could they expand into some of the joann’s space, or vacate their current location and move next door to Joann’s.

Brammy

Here's the lease plan for the Waterbury Plaza where the Joann's/Modell's was.

https://chartweb.com/wp-content/uploads/Waterbury-835-Wolcott-St-012220.pdf

Space 12. It doesn't show the Joann's space, but it's 28,500! (Big for a Joann's)

Space 8 is the former Modell's. 17,938. (A former Bernie's. They later moved to the former Caldor on the corner of Lakewood and Wolcott before Bernie's went out in 2010).

Space 6A and 7B is what's left of the former Day Care. 6A was a Radio Shack a long time ago.

Space 7A is a medical office that was also part of the former Day Care.
The Real Brammy

BillyGr

Quote from: bjs203marc on February 09, 2020, 07:49:09 PM

Space 12. It doesn't show the Joann's space, but it's 28,500! (Big for a Joann's)

Was it actually signed just as Joann Fabrics or did it ever have the JoAnn etc. signage?  They did that for a time (not sure if they still do) to indicate the larger stores that carried more than their traditional stores did.

TRU7536

Quote from: BillyGr on February 09, 2020, 08:27:25 PM
Quote from: bjs203marc on February 09, 2020, 07:49:09 PM

Was it actually signed just as Joann Fabrics or did it ever have the JoAnn etc. signage?  They did that for a time (not sure if they still do) to indicate the larger stores that carried more than their traditional stores did.

In 2018, Jo-Ann Stores rebranded to "Joann" as a way to move beyond fabrics and encompass more craft. Manchester store which is 45,000 square feet is just called "Joann" on their store front.

https://www.adweek.com/brand-marketing/following-its-rebrand-joann-is-no-longer-your-moms-fabric-store/

TRU7536

Quote from: bjs203marc on February 04, 2020, 06:52:01 AM
Quote from: scottw73 on February 03, 2020, 11:18:56 AM

Don't count on it. There was already way too much vacant space in the Wolcott Street area and that was before Modell's closing adding another 18,000 Square Foot vacancy and Joann's closing adding another 26,000 square foot vacancy.

The former Caldor Plaza on the corner of Wolcott Street and Lakewood Road is mostly vacant. Right now the only operating tenant is Planet Fitness. Later this year it's being joined by an Addition Treatment Center called Wheeler Clinic.

The Brass City Diner at 998 Wolcott Street closed several years ago. They weren't even there that long. Previously it was another diner that ultimately shut down because there was a homicide there.
'
There are numerous vacancies in the Naugatuck Valley Shopping Center. The largest vacancy being the 35,000 Square Foot former Linen's and Things. Aside from briefly being home to a smell temporary book store the space has been empty since Linen's and Things went under. I will give props to the fact that in 2019 an Ashley Home Store Outlet store opened in this plaza. I believe it's where The Rag Shop used to be, another space that remained vacant since that store closed.

Don't get me started on Mallview Plaza, the plaza located behind the Naugatuck Valley Shopping Center. Though their address is 117 Sharon Road, there's no access from Sharon Road. The only way to access this plaza is an access road from the side of the Naugatuck Valley Shopping Center. Last I knew there was only 3 tenants in Mallview Plaza - Apple Cinemas, Comcast Access Channel 13, and a nasty Chinese Buffet called Mr Wok. The Weight Watcher's location that was in this plaza moved into the Naugatuck Valley Shopping Center. And the store front church moved elsewhere in Waterbury.

At ShopRite Plaza 943 Wolcott Street, the gym that opened in the Old TJ Maxx closed after not even 2 years in business. That's a 25,000 Square Foot Vacancy. Next door to that Mattress Firm closed. A 4,000 vacancy was added when Denny's closed in October 2019. And a portion of the former American Steakhouse remains empty. Part of it became a dental office, I think.

Which brings us back to the subject plaza. The former KMART Plaza. It wasn't too bad until Modell's and now Joann's closed. The largest vacancy until they closed was the daycare center that closed after their license got revoked after a Child Abuse case went viral. A new medical clinic recently opened (or is about to open) in this plaza. I think in part of the former daycare center.

New tenants? Not happening.

Applebee's failed. The 99 Restaurant failed. Denny's failed.  (Denny's closure may have something to do with the mouse problem). Price Chopper Failed (and is now a relocated ShopRite. June will be 12 years since they moved over there). Marshall's failed. (They're Harbor Freight and Norm's Gym). Petco and TJ Maxx both moved from Wolcott Street to The Brass Mill Commons in the former Shaw's. Saver's Failed (and is another Thrift Store called Red White and Blue, which relocated from Thomaston Ave).

As for chains that are still opening stores? Ulta Beauty and Five Below opened a few years ago in the former Office Max in the Brass Mill Commons. Dick's Sporing Goods opened in the former Toys R Us in the Brass Mill Commons in 2019.

Hobby Lobby. I don't think they're doing that well in Connecticut. They already had one in East Haven for a couple of years before opening 3 more in 2014 in Bristol, Milford, and Manchester. Back then they said they were interested in the Waterbury and Danbury areas, but neither of those have happened.

Ross and Shoe Carnival both have no desire to enter Connecticut.

Burlington is already in Waterbury in the Brass Mill Mall.

Despite closing 60 stores across all their brands, Bed Bath Beyond still plans on opening some new stores. Waterbury won't happen. They could've opened their name sake brand in Waterbury along with The Christmas Tree Shoppe and that years ago.

I was thinking when Dicks closed up in Plainville, it would have been a perfect spot for them. At 50,800, its the right square footage for them. However, if 2014 was the last year they opened stores and Danbury and Norwalk still have gotten them yet, I don't see them opening anymore anytime soon. Danbury TRU is at 45,180 and Danbury BRU is at 20,520 square feet, the fact Hobby Lobby hasn't scoped those two combined spaces, makes me think you're correct.

Kind of reminds me of when Sonic first came on the scene and stated they were going to expand in CT and they never did. They even were suppose to open one in Danbury that never happened.

scottw73

If I recall, when the space was Service Merchandise it was a bit smaller 60% of the space was the showroom and the rest was walled off and used as storage, and when JoAnn moved in they removed the wall so it appears to be bigger.

Brammy

They removed the sign from the building today. The store closing banner was still up.
The Real Brammy