Eagle Food Centers

Started by Moline, November 01, 2019, 11:20:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moline

No, I'm not talking about Giant Eagle, or any other grocery store with a similar name, but rather a grocery store founded out of Milan, Illinois that had locations in Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Indiana, so you may have seen one before its 2003 demise. I do know a majority of their buildings are still in use, though a few I'm sure got exterior renovations to remove the familiar exterior (The Moline, Illinois store had this done when Hy-Vee bought it and renovated it). I was all of four when they went bankrupt so I don't even know what the inside was like, but I've seen the outside as the Moline store sat empty for years before Hy-Vee came in (and you could even see the remnants of its sign on a sign post it shared with a Fazolis in the parking lot. This has been removed since the Fazolis renovated sometime in the 2010's)

Moline

Have some more info regarding some former Eagles Food Center Stores. One in Iowa City/Coralville became a Geico call center, and one closer to Chicago I believe became a bowling alley. It still is as it was sold to Brunswick Bowling and converted into one of few Premier Upscale Bowling Centers concept that they are trying out. At least one Eagle County Market (which was a venture of the chain) in Dubuque, Iowa still operates, and is the last, open remnant of the company, but other than that, the other stores have closed and were bought out by other tenants including the aforementioned Hy-Vee, Geico, and Brunswick Bowling.