94 more Kmart, Sears locations closing

Started by retailisking, August 30, 2019, 07:30:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

retailisking

80 more Kmarts and 14 more Sears stores are biting the dust. The list is circulating online on The Layoff. As an unmoderated forum, there is a fair amount of disinformation there, but it's also a valuable source of early intelligence. There are also reports of individual closures not on the list. A number of posters on the thread are saying that the leased/owned status of several stores is inaccurate and questioning the list on that basis. They may have a point.
https://www.thelayoff.com/t/10M10o4F

Amesguy2000

People say that the list is inaccurate. It Is. Richmond Indiana (although it used to be a Grants) is owned by the Kmart Corporation.While the list says it is leased. This seems to be the case in some other locations as well.

TheFugitive

The LAST Kmart in Greater Pittsburgh is on the closing list.

https://www.wpxi.com/news/top-stories/kmart-closing-last-kmart-in-alle-kiski-valley-closing-later-this-year/980775454

There will still be one in New Castle, PA, which is ostensibly the Youngstown, Ohio metro.
This Alle-Kiski store has already been the subject of local news stories about its shelves being
just about empty before any closing was announced.

JimSawhill

retailisking

Quote from: JimSawhill on August 30, 2019, 01:49:42 PM
Any Connecticut stores on the list?

The Watertown Kmart is on the list
CT/Watertown - 7109 / 595 Straits Tpke Watertown 06795 â€" LEASED

AmesNewington

Quote from: retailisking on August 30, 2019, 02:19:46 PM

So sad to hear about this one. It was an hour away from me, but still nice to go every so often. I went three times since January. The last time I was there in July, they were out of several staple items and other things they always carried and even before then, they had filled large areas of aisles with paper towels and bottled water, which is usually a sign that something is up. I can't say I'm surprised. I still hope it's not true, but I'm done hoping Kmart and Sears will ever make a comeback. I can't see how much longer the company will keep going after closing all these stores. It shows how bad off they are.

danfifepsu

Quote from: AmesNewington on August 30, 2019, 06:04:38 PM
Quote from: retailisking on August 30, 2019, 02:19:46 PM

So sad to hear about this one. It was an hour away from me, but still nice to go every so often. I went three times since January. The last time I was there in July, they were out of several staple items and other things they always carried and even before then, they had filled large areas of aisles with paper towels and bottled water, which is usually a sign that something is up. I can't say I'm surprised. I still hope it's not true, but I'm done hoping Kmart and Sears will ever make a comeback. I can't see how much longer the company will keep going after closing all these stores. It shows how bad off they are.

THE LAST ONES IN Maine are closing in Auburn and Augusta. Last ones in Oklahoma, Kentucky, Indiana, South Carolina, Virginia, Maine, Connecticut, Idaho, Utah and Tennessee are closing. They will be in 115 stores with 27 states. I gave up on the idea of them making a come back 5 years ago. How much longer will this last?
States they are already absent in is : Vermont, Rhode Island, Arkansas, Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia, Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, Hawaii, Alaska and South Dakota.

Yes Watertown CT is closing
the only 2 states in New England to have a Kmart now are NH & Mass. All in Western NY And PA are gone. much of Ohio gone, 2 left near Detroit, 1 left in Illinios around Chicago, all in Philadelphia and near Philadelphia will be closed as will 2 of the 3 in Delaware with the one in Rehoboth Beach left. The distrubution costs will be an issue now too. They are more of a regional chain. and they will be gone from Columbus, Cincinnati and Cleveland toooo!!!!

Sears will have less than 200 stores too and many states they pulled out of.

shore72

Stevensville, MD had, not so long ago, been one of their most profitable stores. An almost perfect location (almost Chesapeake Bay waterfront!) with convenient entry/exit to one of the busiest highways in the state & a market that tends to be upper middle class...and Wal*mart has long been kept out by planning & zoning. Sadly, the last couple times I was in that store I left unimpressed. I would have to think that if they closed it would become a smaller footprint Wally World or Target so fast your head would spin.

Caldor1999

i see Yorktown is listed on there not shocked that store is a mess and never changed much when it replaced caldor
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Crazybangles

This is no surprise. I wonder if they realize that if they keep closing stores eventually there will be no company left?

danfifepsu

Quote from: Crazybangles on August 31, 2019, 08:48:04 AM
This is no surprise. I wonder if they realize that if they keep closing stores eventually there will be no company left?

well they are withered down it wont take many waves left. What of places like the Florida Keys, Jackson Hole WY, Bishop CA & Big Bear Lake, The Virgin Islands and Guam where Kmart is the only store?

https://www.rep-am.com/local/news-local/2019/08/31/watertowns-kmart-the-last-one-in-the-state-to-close/

Also Kmart will have 108 stores left in half the states after this wave and have about as many stores as Bradlees had when they closed.

mixedday

The Kmart in Somers Point, NJ is also on the store closing list. This was one of Kmart's newest built store, according to this website:
http://www.deadanddyingretail.com/2014/08/the-last-kmart-ever-built-somers-point.html

It outlasted every other Kmart in South Jersey leaving the southern part of the state now. It's in a good location that it is near Ocean City, NJ and had the seasonal tourist crowd headed to the Shore.

Target needs to add this location to its store portfolio. It'd do well as one of the newer smaller Targets, and is 15.3 miles to the next nearest Target, in Mays Landing. The nearest Walmart is 6 miles away. There is a Big Lots, PetSmart, Acme and ShopRite in the nearby vicinity. I could see Burlington as it vacates Harbor Square, considering this location, but a Target would be nicer. For either, it'd be a second store in Atlantic county.

retailisking

CBS Boston appears to be confirming the mass closure story
https://boston.cbslocal.com/2019/09/02/sears-kmart-closing-sales-brockton-webster/

retailisking

retailisking

And there's more - if this account is to be believed, almost nobody is left at headquarters, and the the Hoffman Estates complex could be sold to a senior living facility developer.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/warrenshoulberg/2019/09/03/is-this-the-sears-endgame-reported-77-more-stores-closing-hq-being-sold/#775cfa94444b

AmesNewington

So surprised they will only have the Holyoke MA Kmart left near me after Webster and Brockton MA and Watertown CT close. In CT, there will only be the two Sears full line stores in Manchester and Danbury and the two non-Sears owned Outlet stores in Newington and West Haven. Holyoke's Kmart is actually a shorter drive from my house in CT than Watertown was. I hope to go at least once before the holidays and before the whole company is gone.

danfifepsu

Quote from: AmesNewington on September 04, 2019, 05:31:04 AM
So surprised they will only have the Holyoke MA Kmart left near me after Webster and Brockton MA and Watertown CT close. In CT, there will only be the two Sears full line stores in Manchester and Danbury and the two non-Sears owned Outlet stores in Newington and West Haven. Holyoke's Kmart is actually a shorter drive from my house in CT than Watertown was. I hope to go at least once before the holidays and before the whole company is gone.

How long do you give Kmart / Sears?

AmesNewington

Quote from: danfifepsu on September 04, 2019, 09:47:10 PM

Why do you keep asking this over and over? I don't want the company gone first of all, but I also don't know when it will end and it is not a top priority of mine to care. We've been going through this for years. I'm tired of waiting or predicting.

Brammy

The Dead and Dying Retail Facebook page shows there will be 114 KMART's left after the latest round of closings is completed by December https://www.facebook.com/notes/dead-and-dying-retail/kmart-store-totals-by-state/2820554597965709/

There will be 182 Sears stores left after this round of closings.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/dead-and-dying-retail/sears-store-totals-by-state/2820634027957766/
The Real Brammy

deerwrecker2017

Quote from: danfifepsu on September 04, 2019, 09:47:10 PM

The end of the road will come for both Kmart and Sears at any time the way they are going.

TheFugitive

According to the unofficial lists floating out there this round will take Sears/Kmart
completely out of my backyard (Western Pennsylvania)

Leechburg Kmart, New Castle Kmart, Washington Crown Center Sears,
all slated to close.

deerwrecker2017

Quote from: TheFugitive on September 05, 2019, 01:34:31 PM
According to the unofficial lists floating out there this round will take Sears/Kmart
completely out of my backyard (Western Pennsylvania)

Leechburg Kmart, New Castle Kmart, Washington Crown Center Sears,
all slated to close.

And that's with the exception of Sears Outlet which will still operate 2 locations in the area (Unless those eventually get shuttered too).

TheFugitive

There is still a Sears Outlet open in Bridgeville.  It is well-hidden in back behind
Bob Evans.  Frankly I'm amazed it continues to be there.

Retail Regents

There's a Sears Outlet in Crossgates Commons that isn't even that old! Opened on the lower level around 2013, and moved to the upper level last year. It would be embarrassing to see a young store like that close.

deerwrecker2017

Quote from: TheFugitive on September 06, 2019, 10:05:15 AM
There is still a Sears Outlet open in Bridgeville.  It is well-hidden in back behind
Bob Evans.  Frankly I'm amazed it continues to be there.

That Sears Outlet location is one of the 2 that I did mention.