Main Menu

Ames auto centers

Started by Retail_247, June 26, 2019, 09:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retail_247

I don't know of this is already a topic.

Discuss.
Retail_247

TheFugitive

We had auto centers?

I never saw one during my time with the company.
Never heard about any either.  And I had been to stores
in PA, OH, IN. MI and a couple in CT during visits to Rocky Hill.

BillyGr

Closest I can think of is the store in Greenport (Hudson) NY, which had an area that was designed as an auto center (I'd suspect dating back to Barkers or possibly earlier, as I don't remember it being in use even when I was there when it was still Barkers).  It was mostly used for storage (I'm thinking one of the stores, more likely Barkers or Kings vs. Ames used it a couple times for special sales of clearance items).

Although somewhere towards the end of Ames and/or just after it did function as a repair facility, but with no connection to the store, just an extra space that was leased out to a local person.

This part of the building is what is currently Planet Fitness, who redid it so it's not likely obvious any longer what it once was.

BillyGr

Quote from: a_person_96 on June 29, 2019, 12:02:13 AM
A picture of an auto center:

http://www.amesfanclub.com/forum/gallery/main.php/v/ames/stores/NY/hudson/050506/01.jpg.html

Thanks for finding the photo - that is what I was referring to, when it was leased to someone else to run (not part of the Ames itself, just an attached space).  As you can see it was closed here (the photo being from 2006).

retailfan

the old Zayre stores had auto centers  in fact the store on Pendleton pike that became Ames you could see the old signage long after ames shut down in Indianapolis in the 90s