Copperas Cove: 1407 E W Hwy 190

El Paso: 2525 N. Mesa St.

Katy: 3080 S Fry Rd

Newport: 4730 US Route 5

Rio Grande City: 5322 E. US Highway 83

San Antonio: 7031 Marbach Rd.

Spring: 6945 Cypresswood Dr

retailisking

The list includes previously-closed locations, including the largest CVS in the chain, a former Katz City in Springfield, MO. A marvel of Mid-Century Modern architecture, it was built in 1961 and survived a succession of corporate mergers. Attached is a postcard image of the building in its original incarnation as Katz.
https://www.news-leader.com/story/news/local/ozarks/2013/11/25/built-to-be-katz-city-now-the-largest-cvs-in/77386694/

CVS let the building deteriorate before closing it altogether on April 1
https://www.news-leader.com/story/news/local/ozarks/2019/03/04/cvs-store-location-glenstone-close-april-fools-day/3054796002/

giantsfan2016

I'm surprised that the one in the ShopRite Plaza in Southington isn't on this list. It's small at around 8,400 Square Feet, it's outdated, and it doesn't do a lot of business. They lost a lot of business at this location when they stopped selling tobacco products. They were the only store in the plaza that sold them.

mixedday

Quote from: Brammy on May 03, 2019, 08:53:44 PM
I'm surprised that the one in the ShopRite Plaza in Southington isn't on this list. It's small at around 8,400 Square Feet, it's outdated, and it doesn't do a lot of business. They lost a lot of business at this location when they stopped selling tobacco products. They were the only store in the plaza that sold them.

The CVS might still exist because the ShopRite there doesn't have a pharmacy. But CVS' prices are typically higher for everything else that one can get at ShopRite.

AmesNewington

Quote from: mixedday on May 09, 2019, 08:05:42 AM
Quote from: Brammy on May 03, 2019, 08:53:44 PM

The CVS might still exist because the ShopRite there doesn't have a pharmacy. But CVS' prices are typically higher for everything else that one can get at ShopRite.

I'm still surprised CVS hasn't shown interest in the former Rite Aid building down the street. It's freestanding, much larger and stands across from the I-84 on and off ramp. CVS's current location is so small, it's sometimes hard to even notice it. The doors are still the old push doors (no automatic doors). What's also surprising is that there is no Walgreens I know of on Queen Street. The only retail pharmacies I am aware of on that stretch are the ones in Price Chopper and also Stop and Shop on North Main Street. There is a Walgreens and CVS on the corner of New Britain Ave and East Street (Route 10) across from each other in Plainville. 

TheFugitive

There may be a restrictive covenant on the property that prevents it being used to
house another drug store.

This is a common tactic used by Giant Eagle here in Pittsburgh.  If they decide to close
a location you can bet your bottom dollar another grocer will never be permitted to
inhabit that property.

Most of the former Rite Aids I know of became thrift stores, Dollar General locations
or beer distributors.

mixedday

Quote from: AmesNewington on May 09, 2019, 08:14:58 AM

I'm still surprised CVS hasn't shown interest in the former Rite Aid building down the street. It's freestanding, much larger and stands across from the I-84 on and off ramp. CVS's current location is so small, it's sometimes hard to even notice it. 

Does it get a lot of shared customers from ShopRite, who need pharmacy prescriptions picked up?  If it closed, the ShopRite owner could expand and add pharmacy, but CVS might be fine keeping the site until the site is no longer profitable.

Here is the LoopNet listing for that Rite Aid location:
https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/500-Queen-St-Southington-CT/13012754/

From Rite Aid's store locator, the nearest operating Rite Aid is over 6 miles away as well. Probably Rite Aid wouldn't want to sublease to CVS. But if Rite Aid's nearest store is 6 miles away, it probably isn't directly competing much in that area.

I always find it interesting when I see two fairly large CVS stores within a mile of each other, then other areas where there is a lot of other retail but CVS (and even Walgreens) is noticeably absent. Similarly with Starbucks.