Main Menu

Ames in Groton, CT

Started by rsammataro1126, April 26, 2019, 04:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rsammataro1126

Hey y'all,

Was going through the Ocean State Job Lot in Groton, CT today and I noticed that the registers were an oddly-familiar shade of green. Upon further inspection, I realized that indeed the old reg's were from Ames, as one still had the giant 'A+ Service' sign on the countertop:

Something else I did notice was that on the ceiling there were a number of those reflective ceiling tiles much like these from the Old Saybrook location (https://flic.kr/p/2434igm) which I know Ames had as a security measure... Does anyone know for sure if this used to be an Ames location? If it helps, the OSJL is in the Groton Shoppers Mart on Route 12

~BRU

Everything Community

The OSJL in Bloomfield, CT has some of the older checkout lights (w/ A+ service sign) that is definitely from Ames. Although this location wasn't formerly Ames (Ames was on the other plaza where Stop & Shop is in town), it's not too much uncommon to have brought in leftover stuff from the former Ames store.

How about those old registers at the OSJL (formerly Kmart) in Windsor, CT? These might've been from Ames (although, there wasn't an Ames store at all), assuming they were green!

rsammataro1126

Ah so the OSJL in Groton must've just used some old Ames registers. If I had to guess, the regs there likely came from the Waterford Ames store or the Jewett City Ames store which are the next closest ones. I'm still curious to know more about what those security tiles on the ceiling were, though. I've heard somewhere that OSJL in Groton may've used to be a Woolworth's, but I can't seem to find anything online supporting this.