Stop and Shop robot

Started by giantsfan2016, January 26, 2019, 06:25:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

giantsfan2016

Went grocery shopping at the Stop and Shop in Forestville, Connecticut yesterday and they now have one of those stupid robots. The store is like 5 years past needing a major remodel, yet they spent money on this stupid thing.

TheFugitive

Ames was in bankruptcy and yet we sponsored a car in NASCAR.
If the executives running these chains knew how to spend their money wisely
more of them would still be around.

EddieJ1984

These are also coming to Giant (PA), in all stores by mid summer.

Can't say I am a fan, when I used to work at a giant, never minded having to walk around the store at the top of the hour and check all the aisles. Also would notice any carts left with food that should go back if it was there unattended for a while.

All this robot can do is detect spills, cant clean it up.

giantsfan2016

A girl I know at Stop and Shop in Forestville today told me that an Assistant Manager got busted for assaulting "Marty" the robot.  ;D I don't know if the Assistant Manger suffers from "Weed Brain", but he claims he didn't know "Marty" the robot had built-in cameras.

EddieJ1984

He has invaded PA as well, saw him at the Morrisville, PA Giant last sunday and the other day.

giantsfan2016

Yeah. We were at the Southington, CT store on Friday. He was there too. In that store his charging station is right by the pharmacy. In Forestville it's by the Produce Department. My jackass former best friend form Forestville got a promotion and transfer to another store - Berlin, CT I think. I haven't talked to him since the transfer, so I haven't had a chance to ask him if his store has Marty.

Bdubs

I try to avoid Stop & Shops for the most part, but I ran in for a roaster chicken to bake and saw the Norwich store has the bot now as well. Beeping as it moved through the store. How annoying.

JimSawhill

Quote from: TheFugitive on January 28, 2019, 02:29:59 PM
Ames was in bankruptcy and yet we sponsored a car in NASCAR.
If the executives running these chains knew how to spend their money wisely
more of them would still be around.

When I worked for Caldor during their last months, we received new shopping carts. Really? They bought new carts  instead of trying to pare down their debt. The store lasted for 3 more months...

M.R.CALDOR

When I visited the Cromwell location shortly after remodel and Marty was there it was intimidating. I completely understand the reasoning behind it, efficiency, but this is the wrong way to do it. It makes me think of Fritz Lang's Metropolis which foretold a grim reality where man is replaced by machine. The thing followed me all around the store, watching me, like big brother. This is a major turn-off to me. I don't like being monitored while I shop. I hope this idea fails, and other stores don't go this route. The dawn of the technological age is slowly, but surely destroying America. Invention is great if it serves man, not if it BECOMES man, this is what Lang and the other storytellers of yore tried to warn us about, but we didn't listen, we laughed and passed it off as "Science Fiction Trash", well welcome to the year 2019 where we have robots patrolling our stores (Marty, Stop & Shop), replacing warehouse workers (Amazon), delivering our packages (Drones, also Amazon), listening to our conversations (Alexa, Amazon) and other formerly human tasks. We aren't laughing now.....

giantsfan2016

My Mom and I went grocery shopping in Forestville on a Saturday evening after I took her out to dinner a couple of weeks before the strike. My Mom got into a fight with the stupid robot. He was standing in the main aisle by the bakery. My mom went to go to the right of him and he wouldn't move. She tried to go to the left of him and he wouldn't move. Finally she just started hitting the thing with her shopping cart.

Everything Community

This Marty the Robot was spotted last Sunday at the Stop & Shop in Manchester, CT. Here he is spying floors to see if there are any spills that can necessary be cleared up!