My first experience ordering groceries online

Started by TheFugitive, January 04, 2019, 02:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheFugitive

Last Sunday I made my first online grocery purchase from Walmart.
This is the system where you order and pay online, and then drive to the
store where they bring your order out to you and load it in your car.

I was never too keen on doing this because I am over 50 and am so used to
the traditional push-your-cart-around-a-supermarket method of buying groceries.
I actually sort of enjoy that.  Plus the whole idea of curb service struck me as kind
of lazy.

Walmart however had sent me a card in the mail offering 10% off if I tried this service.
10% off of a week's grocery bill is substantial, so I tried it.

The ordering part went smoothly, better than I expected actually.  They had a large selection
of brands, and it was easy to browse and make choices.  I had really expected the selection for this
to be more limited.  I was able to check-out efficiently and the discount was applied with no
problem.  The checkout screen even suggested additional add-on items that I might want to buy,
and I did get a couple.

I had to designate a pick-up hour,  I chose 11AM to Noon.  Of course as always happens things
intervened, and I was not able to make it on time.   It was getting close to 1PM when I actually
arrived at the store.

The pick-up area had been hastily retrofitted into an existing Walmart Supercenter.
Basically they just threw-up an orange colored canopy over about fifteen parking spaces
on one side of the lot.  They were numbered.  I pulled into slot #6, where a sign told me to
call a particular number to get my order (I have seen other Walmarts that had a drive-through
kiosk where you scanned a code).

The kid who answered that call on the other end had kind of an attitude.  He asked for my name.
I gave it.  He came back a minute later and said it would be right out to me.   I told him "I am in
slot #6, don't you need to know that?" which caused him to get kind of snotty with me.  I sat there
for about ten minutes waiting for my order.

When it arrived it was actually a girl who brought it to me.  She asked me to sign for it on her
pad.  I did.  Then she started loading the order into my vehicle.  One of the items I bought was
a 25lb. bag of kitty litter.  I felt kind of bad having a girl load that for me, but she would not
let me get out and help her with it.

In short order I was loaded and headed off.   I could have done without the snotty attitude from the kid who picked-up the phone, but all and all it was relatively painless.  Most surprisingly none of the perishable items I ordered were close-dated or expired (a frequent problem when ordering pick-up I am told).  I might consider doing this again.

giantsfan2016

Quote from: TheFugitive on January 04, 2019, 02:31:49 PM

One of the items I bought was a 25lb. bag of kitty litter.  I felt kind of bad having a girl load that for me, but she would not
let me get out and help her with it.

I don't blame you. I work for the warehouse club that was founded by ZAYRE in 1984 and I try to help the female members with the heavy items - cases of water, cases of soda, cat litter, pet food, etc.

Bdubs

We’ve been using Shop Rite’s delivery service and it’s super convenient for me right now, as I’ve hurt my back and cannot stand long enough to walk a grocery store.
Obviously I’d rather do it myself, but my health is more important right now.
Shop Rite and Peapod in my area can deliver directly to you, or you can pick up at the store. I’m not a fan of Peapod as not everything is available online that’s in the store.