Ahold Delhaize (Stop & Shop) buys pioneering supermarket chain King Kullen

Started by retailisking, January 04, 2019, 01:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retailisking

The Stop & Shop parent, under siege from new entrants, shores up its leading LI presence with the purchase of the chain credited by the Smithsonian with ushering in the era of the modern supermarket in 1930
https://www.supermarketnews.com/retail-financial/stop-shop-acquire-king-kullen

giantsfan2016

And just like that both chains based on Long Island will cease to exist. This article says Stop and Shop is also acquiring King Cullen's HQ in Bethpage? Wasn't Best Market also based in Bethpage? If so, that can't be good for that town.

Scrabbleship

Quote from: Brammy on January 05, 2019, 07:06:22 AM
And just like that both chains based on Long Island will cease to exist. This article says Stop and Shop is also acquiring King Cullen's HQ in Bethpage? Wasn't Best Market also based in Bethpage? If so, that can't be good for that town.

I think that both chains will peacefully co-exist, similar to Stop & Shop and Hannaford in the Boston market and Mid-Hudson Valley or Giant and Food Lion in parts of Maryland and Virginia. The King Kullen name just has too much local value to totally discard at this point.

What I wonder is why nobody new has entered the Long Island market since Waldbaums and Pathmark became casualties of the A&P bankruptcy. I know ShopRite grew their presence and I know geography keeps potential entrants out but a hole is still there.

RoleModel

Quote from: Scrabbleship on January 09, 2019, 11:50:10 AM
Quote from: Brammy on January 05, 2019, 07:06:22 AM

I think that both chains will peacefully co-exist, similar to Stop & Shop and Hannaford in the Boston market and Mid-Hudson Valley or Giant and Food Lion in parts of Maryland and Virginia. The King Kullen name just has too much local value to totally discard at this point.

What I wonder is why nobody new has entered the Long Island market since Waldbaums and Pathmark became casualties of the A&P bankruptcy. I know ShopRite grew their presence and I know geography keeps potential entrants out but a hole is still there.

The only company I could have seen entering the area was Albertsons/Safeway, and even then...

JimSawhill

Quote from: retailisking on January 04, 2019, 01:06:24 PM
The Stop & Shop parent, under siege from new entrants, shores up its leading LI presence with the purchase of the chain credited by the Smithsonian with ushering in the era of the modern supermarket in 1930
https://www.supermarketnews.com/retail-financial/stop-shop-acquire-king-kullen

King Kullen is going to be added to my model railroad layout. I have 'Defunct Stores Mall' on my model layout.