R.I.P. Retro KMART Logo Watertown, Connecticut

Started by giantsfan2016, August 12, 2018, 12:17:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giantsfan2016

Sad news out of Connecticut. They replaced the retro KMART logo on the Watertown, Connecticut location.

https://www.facebook.com/deadanddyingretail/posts/2113750555312787

AmesNewington

Quote from: Brammy on August 12, 2018, 12:17:27 PM
Sad news out of Connecticut. They replaced the retro KMART logo on the Watertown, Connecticut location.

https://www.facebook.com/deadanddyingretail/posts/2113750555312787

It is kind of surprising to me they changed the logo despite the state of the company. They should do this to all locations to wipe away the Big Kmart identity. It's 21 years later than when they introduced that concept and it was considered a BIG store then, but now most Kmarts remaining are smaller than Walmart and Target stores. Plus ads/marketing haven't included Big Kmart since the turn of the century. I am planning on going to the Vernon store. Will see if their signs changed. Their street pylons were changed recently. Oddly enough, one pylon is of the old Kmart logo pre-1990 in all red, and the other is the current logo (K on top and small letter kmart underneath). The actual Big K sign on the building looks like it will fall off the building.

Planet Retail

I can't believe it... The company had enough money to replace a sign?

AmesNewington

Quote from: Planet Retail on August 12, 2018, 06:47:21 PM

Unless this was a recycled sign, I can't understand why they would replace the sign after all this time especially if the company isn't on stable ground. I always thought if a company doesn't change the look of a store for a very long time, it may be on its way out. Does Sears Holdings plan on staying around?

BillyGr

Quote from: AmesNewington on August 13, 2018, 07:56:59 AM

Unless this was a recycled sign, I can't understand why they would replace the sign after all this time especially if the company isn't on stable ground. I always thought if a company doesn't change the look of a store for a very long time, it may be on its way out. Does Sears Holdings plan on staying around?

Not like they wouldn't have a few old (but newer) ones that could be easily used, given the number of store closings they've had recently.  That would still involve a bit of $ (to change them out) but much less than a totally new sign would.

danfifepsu

Quote from: BillyGr on August 14, 2018, 02:21:03 PM
Quote from: AmesNewington on August 13, 2018, 07:56:59 AM

Not like they wouldn't have a few old (but newer) ones that could be easily used, given the number of store closings they've had recently.  That would still involve a bit of $ (to change them out) but much less than a totally new sign would.

welll, they did that to Burlington VT store and a year later it closed.