Up to 100 Sears Hometown Stores to close

Started by retailisking, June 09, 2018, 05:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retailisking

The Hometown Stores were supposed to be a bright spot for Sears. I can't imagine having your store name associated with a dying department store chain is a good long-term business strategy.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/sears-hometown-to-close-up-to-100-stores-2018-06-09

buzz86us

well these stores are franchised and it makes sense when they realize that the franchise is pretty worthless

giantsfan2016

Yes. All the hometown stores in Connecticut are gone. They are no longer listed on the locator on SEARS.COM - In Connecticut they were in Barkhamsted, Colchester, and I forget the other location.

JJBers

Quote from: Brammy on June 09, 2018, 07:47:55 PM
Yes. All the hometown stores in Connecticut are gone. They are no longer listed on the locator on SEARS.COM - In Connecticut they were in Barkhamsted, Colchester, and I forget the other location.
I liked the Colchester one. Dang.
Here's a archive of when the store was open:

Sears (Colchester, Connecticut) by JJBers, on Flickr
Road Sign:

Sears (Colchester, Connecticut) by JJBers, on Flickr
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

shore72

Going along with the article, I have been hearing a lot of radio advertising for the local hometown stores and the "this is my store" theme. There was some potential with these places but the selling of the brand names took the oxygen right out of the room for these guys. I walked in Lowe's Saturday and was greeted, right at the entrance, by a big Craftsman tool chest display. I believe the Ace hardware store a couple miles down the road also sells the line. In between, with the weakest signage, sits the Hometown store. I shopped them this winter for a washer/dryer. Pricing was okay but delivery was extra & selection was poor, plus they told me I couldn't use my surprise points. (I instead bought from a locally owned independent appliance store.)

retailisking

Quote from: shore72 on June 11, 2018, 10:01:02 PM
I shopped them this winter for a washer/dryer. Pricing was okay but delivery was extra & selection was poor, plus they told me I couldn't use my surprise points. (I instead bought from a locally owned independent appliance store.)
Around here Lowe's blows away the competition when it comes to price and selection - and delivery is free.

giantsfan2016

This ad was in today's Hartford Courant (6/15/18) Sears Hometown Barkhamsted, Connecticut Going out of Business.

Edit: I don't know why the photo is sideways. It was fine when I sent it from my phone to my laptop, but when I uploaded it to this stupid message board, it uploaded sideways.  >:( Fixing whatever is wrong with this stupid message board that caused the issue with the photo is above my pay grade. (Not that I get paid to run this board).

TheFugitive