*Sears/Kmart to close another 63 stores*

Started by retailisking, May 31, 2018, 07:39:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

retailisking

Here's the official list (topic title modified to correct store count and remove speculation)
https://sc.cnbcfm.com/applications/cnbc.com/resources/editorialfiles/2018/05/31/053118-store-closing-list.pdf

TheFugitive

Please don't close Pleasant Hills, PA.  I still have FREECASH DOLLARS!!!   ;D

giantsfan2016

Quote from: TheFugitive on May 31, 2018, 11:25:33 AM
Please don't close Pleasant Hills, PA.  I still have FREECASH DOLLARS!!!   ;D

Sears 1000 Robinson Center Drive Pittsburgh PA. That an an auto center are the only Sears closings in PA.

One KMART in Latrobe, PA is closing.

Connecticut escapes another round of closings.

TheFugitive

According to the list my closest Sears at South Hills Village is closing too.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/4490166-Sears-store-closings-list-May-31-2018.html#document/p1

Ooops....no, it looks like maybe just the auto center is closing at that location.
It's located on an outparcel.  Restaurants on outparcels of this mall are doing extremely well.
Likely that is what will go here.

Strange that Sears would be closing auto centers just days after announcing that deal
with Amazon to install tires purchased from them.

mixedday

In NJ, Sears is closing 3 stores.

Two of them are in the west side not too far from Philly.

Burlington Center will finally be done as a shopping mall/retail center. Sears was the last tenant and it's closing doors.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burlington_Center_Mall

Just 23 miles north is Quakerbridge Mall which is also losing Sears. This is a mostly successful mall and should be fine.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quaker_Bridge_Mall

I think what will be interesting is just across the river in the eastern side of PA of the Philly region in upper Bucks County which has both the Neshaminy and Oxford Valley malls. Neshaminy also competes with the Philadelphia Mills with it being in close proximity.

Neshaminy has Boscov's, Sears, and a former Macy's (originally a Strawbridge&Clothier)

Oxford Valley has Macy's, Jcpenney and Sears and a vacant Boscov's (former Strawbridge's). Both have at least one vacant anchor, Sears in both malls, and JCPenney in one.

With JCPenney and Sears both in shaky financial condition, if they close, that would leave too many vacant anchors, and the two competing malls somewhat eliminate each other out in either one being being very successful.

Currently, Oxford Valley is in better shape and has better demographics, but it's unlikely that it will rival even the Quakerbridge Mall. It might make sense as a mixed use center eventually. In Neshaminy, Sears has the best anchor location, most visible from the highway and entrance into the mall, but that's pretty much it. There is a Barnes & Noble at the mall, which is the most upscale feature that was added in the mall in the last 15 years. But notably, the Sears seemed devoid of customers when I went not too long ago.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

I just hope Sears Holdings spins off some of their brands, like Lands End, Thom McAn and Joe Boxer, into a separate company before completely going under. I would love to see Thom McAn resurrected as a retail store in a shopping mall, plus a website, someday (once the rights are acquired from Sears).

danfifepsu

and Kmart come September will have as many stores as Ames had in the end, lower 300s.
many states, Kmart pulled out of the bigger markets and is spread out in smaller cities. Why cause of competition? Now they are pulling out of states, Hawwai and Vermont will loose their last ones and RI And Alabama did. Alaska did 15 yrs ago.
Dont ya think they should just close it's doors and move on?
Their stores look same as 40 years ago.

for Sears, I Feel what can replace them when they close is KB Toys KB EXperience stores and places like Dick's ETC as JC penny is adding Appliances and Lowe's and Home Depot has many of the other stuff. I went in Manchester's yesterday and it was a ghost town.

retailisking

Quote from: ShopKoFan on June 01, 2018, 02:41:48 AM
I just hope Sears Holdings spins off some of their brands, like Lands End, Thom McAn and Joe Boxer, into a separate company before completely going under. I would love to see Thom McAn resurrected as a retail store in a shopping mall, plus a website, someday (once the rights are acquired from Sears).

Lands End was spun off from Sears Holdings in 2014. Joe Boxer is owned by Iconix Brand Group. SHLD owns the Thom McAn trademark and could conceivably fetch a decent price, though it hasn't been mentioned as part of their plan to monetize their assets.

Zayre88

In Sears Holdings's first quarter 2018 report they list Kmart having only 365 stores... down from 432 at Q4 2017.

danfifepsu

Quote from: Zayre88 on June 02, 2018, 06:32:10 AM
In Sears Holdings's first quarter 2018 report they list Kmart having only 365 stores... down from 432 at Q4 2017.

they are closing 30 something more and thus have as many as Ames did in the end and 2000 less than 18 years ago.

How much longer can this go on, and 5 states none left it will be (Alaska, Hawwai, Alabama, Rhode Island and Vermont).

shore72

I was thinking the other day: with the right management & the right marketing, & more than a little bit of luck, Kmart could still be viable. It would have to go through a rebirth & the path to success would be a narrow one. On the other hand, I have a hard time figuring out how Sears can survive. Perhaps only as Hometown stores, carrying Kenmore/Craftsman/Die Hard. Thought: Dollar General does well in small towns/neighborhoods where there will never, ever be a Wal*Mart or, in many cases, even a small supermarket. Sears could return to its roots by pushing Hometown stores into places that will never have a Home Depot/Lowes/Menards. I think of my small town (pop.2,200). You can't buy a riding mower or much of any power equipment larger than a push mower. Tools are limited to the (mostly) low quality stuff at the local no-name hardware store or a smattering of items at the NAPA. We do have a locally owned appliance dealer/repair shop, something most towns no longer do. It occurs to me that, with just a little more square footage, he could carry a product line comparable to some of the Hometown stores I've seen.

danfifepsu

Quote from: shore72 on June 05, 2018, 10:31:06 PM
I was thinking the other day: with the right management & the right marketing, & more than a little bit of luck, Kmart could still be viable. It would have to go through a rebirth & the path to success would be a narrow one. On the other hand, I have a hard time figuring out how Sears can survive. Perhaps only as Hometown stores, carrying Kenmore/Craftsman/Die Hard. Thought: Dollar General does well in small towns/neighborhoods where there will never, ever be a Wal*Mart or, in many cases, even a small supermarket. Sears could return to its roots by pushing Hometown stores into places that will never have a Home Depot/Lowes/Menards. I think of my small town (pop.2,200). You can't buy a riding mower or much of any power equipment larger than a push mower. Tools are limited to the (mostly) low quality stuff at the local no-name hardware store or a smattering of items at the NAPA. We do have a locally owned appliance dealer/repair shop, something most towns no longer do. It occurs to me that, with just a little more square footage, he could carry a product line comparable to some of the Hometown stores I've seen.

Kmart cant be viable at this pt

danfifepsu

JJBers

My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

MikeRa

Quote from: mixedday on May 31, 2018, 06:30:52 PM
Burlington Center will finally be done as a shopping mall/retail center. Sears was the last tenant and it's closing doors.
Burlington Center Mall itself closed on 1/8/2018.  with Sears closing, this mall will be completely vacant
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

AmesNewington

It's true about Waterbury, CT. It's one of 5 stores that Sears Holdings announced very quietly to employees yesterday (June 6).

Go to Page 3 of the news release:

http://searsholdings.com/docs/053118-store-closing-list.pdf

In my opinion, the CEO is full of himself. I think they are continuing to close stores a little at a time until there is a small number left and at that point, they will completely liquidate. Too many rounds of closings.

giantsfan2016

Who owns the Sears space in Waterbury? Is it owned by Sears Holdings itself, Seritage, or the mall itself GGP?

Is Waterbury too close to Meriden and Milford for  Boscov's? I remember prior to them taking the old JCP in Meriden they said they wanted to open at the Brass Mill Mall, but at that time there was no anchor vacancies, so that's why they took the old JCP in Meriden.

danfifepsu

Quote from: AmesNewington on June 07, 2018, 05:38:59 AM
It's true about Waterbury, CT. It's one of 5 stores that Sears Holdings announced very quietly to employees yesterday (June 6).

Go to Page 3 of the news release:

http://searsholdings.com/docs/053118-store-closing-list.pdf

In my opinion, the CEO is full of himself. I think they are continuing to close stores a little at a time until there is a small number left and at that point, they will completely liquidate. Too many rounds of closings.

how many total Sears and Kmarts are soon down to how many stores Toys r us had when announcing closure.

Brammy to answer your question of Boscov's they have a lot of them in PA and more than one in Reading so its not quite too close.

esw01407

Quote from: Brammy on June 07, 2018, 06:22:58 AM
Who owns the Sears space in Waterbury? Is it owned by Sears Holdings itself, Seritage, or the mall itself GGP?

Is Waterbury too close to Meriden and Milford for  Boscov's? I remember prior to them taking the old JCP in Meriden they said they wanted to open at the Brass Mill Mall, but at that time there was no anchor vacancies, so that's why they took the old JCP in Meriden.

What concerns me is, and I think they learned there lesson in 2008, but this could be a very dangerous time for Boscov's. LOTS of malls going to be calling them, great locations with huge potential, and they have to resist the urge to over-expand again. They are also in malls that are in the danger zone, such as Susquehanna Valley Mall in PA that's down to one anchor.

mixedday

Quote from: MikeRa on June 06, 2018, 10:48:19 PM
Quote from: mixedday on May 31, 2018, 06:30:52 PM
Burlington Center Mall itself closed on 1/8/2018.  with Sears closing, this mall will be completely vacant

While the interior of the mall closed on that date, Sears was still open. Thus, this was still a retail center and Sears owned its site here. Any redevelopment plan had to support the existing operating anchor, and because of Sears being retail, Moonbeam leveraged it to introduce a plan for redevelopment with more retail, but outdoor (non enclosed). While open in Burlington, Sears could influence the fate of that redevelopment.

Sears surprisingly managed to operate this store with such low volume for so long. The customer base was very limited, largely Black coming from towns like Willingboro and Burlington city. The Moorestown Mall store was more central and wide reaching in its Burlington county presence. It's very different than it's operations at a mall like Quaker Bridge or Walden Galleria, A malls, where those malls draw from much farther out.

Because of Sears, it was an obstacle for different proposals for redevelopment for Burlington other than retail, for this site. If it's not too late, Virtua should consider the mall site now, instead of farmland being developed.
http://www.nj.com/burlington/index.ssf/2017/08/virtua_gets_approval_for_new_burlington_county_cam.html

If not Virtua, maybe office or maybe the site could go entirely residential. I don't believe retail will work as the Centerton Square in Mt.Laurel is just 7 miles south and hosts Costco and Wegmans, and dozens of other stores. Home Depot, Lowes, ShopRite, Burlington, Target, Kohl's, and Wal-Mart are all pretty much near by in Burlington Twp, with new or remodeled stores.

While it would be nice for Burlington Twp to get Chipotle or Panera, redevelopment of this site won't happen until a major anchor is found. And, I don't know of any major retail anchor that could go in a redeveloped site for Burlington Center, at this point. Hopefully the mall doesn't sit abandoned for too long.

danfifepsu

I wonder how long till Kmart has less than 300 stores left. and yes some states only have 1 left. 5 they are extinct.