Grace Lee Whitney, Yeoman Rand from Star Trek, dies at 85

Started by TheFugitive, May 04, 2015, 09:39:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheFugitive

Grace Lee Whitney, the actress who played Yeoman Rand in the original Star Trek
series, and appeared in several of the movies, has passed away at age 85.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/04/grace-lee-whitney-dead-star-trek-actress-dies

85? Being old enough (barely) to recall seeing the original Trek during it's original NBC
network run, sure makes me feel time is flying by.

Hudsons81

That marks the second time this calendar year that a cast member from the original Star Trek series passed away.

That is shocking-almost as much as last year, where we witnessed the passing of two cast members from two of Sherwood Schwartz's sitcoms.

And as for me...I was only born in 1981, so I originally saw the original Trek on the then-independent WKBD-TV (channel 50) in Detroit (I am barely old enough myself to recall watching WKBD-TV back when Field Communications owned it).

TheFugitive

I remember my babysitter letting me stay up late and watch it on Friday night.  I would have been around five I guess.

It came back in syndication when I was in grade school on WIIC (later WPXI) Channel 11 in Pittsburgh.  5PM, just before the local news.  We always made it a point to go to somebody's house and watch it. 

When I was in college Channel 11 brought it back and ran it in the early morning hours, after David Letterman.