Widget the World Watcher

Started by Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill), January 27, 2015, 08:57:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Does anyone else here beside me remember this cartoon? Widget aired in syndication for two seasons comprising of 65 episodes in 1990 and 1991. Widget is a cartoon that follows a purple shapeshifting space alien from a purple planet in the Horsehead Nebula, and his human friends Brian, Kevin, and Christine, as they attempt to protect the environment from harm. He is also accompanied by Mega Brain, a floating head with a transparent cranium and floating hands. The show had environmental themes and was recognized by the National Education Association as recommended viewing for children.

Widget the World Watcher theme song:

Danger and evil were ev'rywhere
Nature called, they didn't care
Who can help the world survive?
Who can keep our dream
Alive...alive...ALLLLLLIIIIIIVE!!!!
An awesome alien hero
Was destined to hear the cry
A watcher known as Widget
He shot down from the sky
Whoa!
Whoa!
Widget the World Watcher
Whoa!
Whoa!
Widget the World Watcher
(**Widget gives us some details concerning the plot of the episode here)
Whoa!
Whoa!
Widget the World Watcher!

----

The first Widget the World Watcher episode, Great Whale Adventure, can be viewed here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a1NytpheKU

TheFugitive

Never heard of it.

In my defense, when it was on I was working 60+ hours per week as an
Ames manager, and had a baby at home.

Hudsons81

HannafordHearts

I've never heard of this either :/

It is a given that it is an obscure, underrated cartoon show from the early 1990s with a small international cult following, consisting of hundreds of people, it did have just as important an environmental message as its rival cartoon show, the more successful Captain Planet, but unlike Captain Planet, Widget wasn't too preachy about its message about the environment. The show did, however, see a few VHS tape releases, as well as an NES video game, called "Widget", and a Super NES game, called "Super Widget". The show had a catchy synthesizer-driven theme song. I remember watching this show on WGBA-TV FOX 26 of Green Bay, Wisconsin (now an NBC affiliate since 1995) in 1992. There's even a recorded video of the show on YouTube, showing Widget as it aired during a weekday afternoon on Secaucus, New Jersey affiliate WWOR-TV 9 (now MyNetworkTV affiliate "My 9") during that period.
I can only hope, like other fans of this cartoon, that it gets a proper DVD release.