Walmart closing Massapequa, NY store in March

Started by HannafordHearts, January 23, 2015, 01:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HannafordHearts

From CBS New York: http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/01/05/sunrise-mall-walmart-to-close-in-march/
QuoteMASSAPEQUA, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) â€" Walmart will be closing its store at the Westfield Sunrise Mall on Long Island later this winter, the mall announced Monday.
Westfield, the operator of the mall in Massapequa, said in a statement that Walmart had decided not to renew its lease. The space will be put to yet-to-be-announced other uses, the company said.
“Westfield has a very strong track record of recovering former department store real estate and reorienting the merchandise mix with new anchors, specialty shops, restaurants, leisure, entertainment, and lifestyle options for our customers,” the company said. “We view this departure as an exciting opportunity to add new elements, energy, choice and convenience to the center as can be seen with the recent additions of trendy new retailers including A’GACI, F&F and Windsor.”
The two-level store measures almost 130,000 square feet, according to a Newsday report. The planned closing date is March 6, the newspaper reported.
Walmart in recent years has been moving toward offering groceries and fresh food items in addition to general merchandise, the newspaper pointed out. In many major cities â€" notably including Chicago â€" Walmart has opened smaller-scale Neighborhood Market grocery stores and Walmart Express convenience stores in both upscale and struggling neighborhoods.

Keep in mind that this store is not relocating to a bigger location, like Walmart usually does; it is outright closing and ceasing operations altogether, and will not relocate. This isn't usually a common habit to see for Walmart. Discuss this closure.

Also, I apologize if I put this thread in the wrong spot or something; I'm new to this forum, so.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: HannafordHearts on January 23, 2015, 01:42:24 PM
From CBS New York: http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/01/05/sunrise-mall-walmart-to-close-in-march/
QuoteMASSAPEQUA, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) â€" Walmart will be closing its store at the Westfield Sunrise Mall on Long Island later this winter, the mall announced Monday.
Westfield, the operator of the mall in Massapequa, said in a statement that Walmart had decided not to renew its lease. The space will be put to yet-to-be-announced other uses, the company said.
“Westfield has a very strong track record of recovering former department store real estate and reorienting the merchandise mix with new anchors, specialty shops, restaurants, leisure, entertainment, and lifestyle options for our customers,” the company said. “We view this departure as an exciting opportunity to add new elements, energy, choice and convenience to the center as can be seen with the recent additions of trendy new retailers including A’GACI, F&F and Windsor.”
The two-level store measures almost 130,000 square feet, according to a Newsday report. The planned closing date is March 6, the newspaper reported.
Walmart in recent years has been moving toward offering groceries and fresh food items in addition to general merchandise, the newspaper pointed out. In many major cities â€" notably including Chicago â€" Walmart has opened smaller-scale Neighborhood Market grocery stores and Walmart Express convenience stores in both upscale and struggling neighborhoods.

Keep in mind that this store is not relocating to a bigger location, like Walmart usually does; it is outright closing and ceasing operations altogether, and will not relocate. This isn't usually a common habit to see for Walmart. Discuss this closure.

Also, I apologize if I put this thread in the wrong spot or something; I'm new to this forum, so.

Welcome to the forum. It's completely fine that used posted this thread on the "Stores Shutting Down in 2015" section of the board.

You are right. Walmart doesn't usually close stores without relocating elsewhere. The most recent example I can think of was 6 years ago this August when they shut down the New Britain, Connecticut location. They shut down because the place was getting robbed like crazy by both employees and customers alike. More was going out the back door than the front door. --- They also did something else in New Britain they usually don't do. They went from a 115,000 Square Foot location on Slater Road to an 85,000 Square Foot location on Farmington Ave. (This was 4 or 5 years before they closed). Yes. They went to a smaller location. Why? Walmart bought the lease of the old Caldor on Farmington Ave after the former store closed. Walmart was using the building for storage and they were keeping trailers in the parking. This was kind of a residential area. (New Britain as a whole has poor zoning regulations). A lot of people were complaining to the mayor's office about the condition of the property, so the mayor gave Walmart an ultimatum - either use the building on Farmington Ave for something or sell it. Not wanting to lose the site to a potential competitor they shut down their Slater Road store and moved into the smaller Farmington Ave building. The old Slater Road location was bought by Webster Bank and has been a corporate office for them for many years. Meanwhile the old Farmington Ave Walmart remains vacant 5 1/2 years later.

HannafordHearts

Quote from: Marc B on January 23, 2015, 02:02:15 PM

Welcome to the forum. It's completely fine that used posted this thread on the "Stores Shutting Down in 2015" section of the board.

You are right. Walmart doesn't usually close stores without relocating elsewhere. The most recent example I can think of was 6 years ago this August when they shut down the New Britain, Connecticut location. They shut down because the place was getting robbed like crazy by both employees and customers alike. More was going out the back door than the front door. --- They also did something else in New Britain they usually don't do. They went from a 115,000 Square Foot location on Slater Road to an 85,000 Square Foot location on Farmington Ave. (This was 4 or 5 years before they closed). Yes. They went to a smaller location. Why? Walmart bought the lease of the old Caldor on Farmington Ave after the former store closed. Walmart was using the building for storage and they were keeping trailers in the parking. This was kind of a residential area. (New Britain as a whole has poor zoning regulations). A lot of people were complaining to the mayor's office about the condition of the property, so the mayor gave Walmart an ultimatum - either use the building on Farmington Ave for something or sell it. Not wanting to lose the site to a potential competitor they shut down their Slater Road store and moved into the smaller Farmington Ave building. The old Slater Road location was bought by Webster Bank and has been a corporate office for them for many years. Meanwhile the old Farmington Ave Walmart remains vacant 5 1/2 years later.

Yeah, I heard about the whole thing with the New Britain location. There was also a Walmart store in Trotwood, OH that was permanently closed because people were more attracted to the Supercenters in the area. There's also the infamous City View Center in Garfield Heights where the Walmart was only open for two years before closing because of structural issues.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Marc B on January 23, 2015, 02:02:15 PM

Someone got a picture of the old Walmart nee Caldor? I wonder how many old Ames/Caldor/Bradlee's are still empty. I would love to see them still open. It is still open on my model railroad layout. On it I have  an Ames warehouse and a  Caldor warehouse

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: JimSawhill on January 31, 2015, 10:11:20 AM
Someone got a picture of the old Walmart nee Caldor? I wonder how many old Ames/Caldor/Bradlee's are still empty. I would love to see them still open. It is still open on my model railroad layout. On it I have  an Ames warehouse and a  Caldor warehouse

Nick DiMaio (who is a member here xismzero, but hasn't posted in a long time) has a picture of the New Britain Walmart a few days after they closed in 2009 on his Caldor Rainbow Blog.

http://thecaldorrainbow.blogspot.com/2009/09/new-britain-walmart-closure-and.html

If the weather ever turns warm and if it ever stops snowing I could take a drive to Hard Hittin' New Britain and take some pictures, but it probably looks the same today as it did in 2009.  The only thing that changed is that the free-standing bank that was there closed as well. I try to avoid New Britain at all costs. Occasionally I'll drive through (not near the old Walmart) New Britain on the way back from the Meriden Square Mall if I stop in Plainville for lunch.

Hudsons81

The OP is indeed correct.

Walmart rarely closes a store completely without opening a Supercenter nearby to replace it.

jamesway_95

Here's another example of this happening: The Wal-Mart in Clarksville, Texas closed without being replaced in 2007.

Caldor1999

Quote from: jamesway_95 on February 01, 2015, 06:32:46 PM
Here's another example of this happening: The Wal-Mart in Clarksville, Texas closed without being replaced in 2007.

thats because walmart holds on to the leases to prevent competitors such as target taking its business. As for this store closing all i can say is GOOD! that store made that mall really trashy
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

HannafordHearts

Quote from: Marc B on January 31, 2015, 04:22:17 PM
Quote from: JimSawhill on January 31, 2015, 10:11:20 AM

Nick DiMaio (who is a member here xismzero, but hasn't posted in a long time) has a picture of the New Britain Walmart a few days after they closed in 2009 on his Caldor Rainbow Blog.

http://thecaldorrainbow.blogspot.com/2009/09/new-britain-walmart-closure-and.html

If the weather ever turns warm and if it ever stops snowing I could take a drive to Hard Hittin' New Britain and take some pictures, but it probably looks the same today as it did in 2009.  The only thing that changed is that the free-standing bank that was there closed as well. I try to avoid New Britain at all costs. Occasionally I'll drive through (not near the old Walmart) New Britain on the way back from the Meriden Square Mall if I stop in Plainville for lunch.

Judging from Google Street View, it seems that the exterior has since been repainted, so it's now all white/gray. This is something Walmart usually does with former stores; likely to make it less obvious that it was a Walmart before.

jamesway_95

Quote from: Caldor1999 on February 02, 2015, 08:33:20 PM
Quote from: jamesway_95 on February 01, 2015, 06:32:46 PM

thats because walmart holes on to the leases to prevent competers such as target taking its business.

I don't know if they're still holding on the lease at that particular store; but since Clarksville is a small, rural town, there's no danger of Target taking over. I think a Tractor Supply store would make a good replacement.