What if Walmart went out of business and/or other retail scenarios

Started by 76&AmesfanmanBBTB, May 14, 2005, 05:24:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by gshowman18
QuoteOriginally posted by 76BraldorZayKamesfanBBTB
What would Anonymous prefer BestKService?

or Best Service K?

or maybe Service K Best or Service Best K?

enough of that subject

okay now onto another retail scenario

What if Federated bought May but kept Filene's name temporarly or permanently?

calling it "Filene's by Federated"

hmm?

You just don't give up, do you?

Come on now i dont want u guys to fight
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

thedisneystore967

I would be jumping for joy if this WalMart Stuff really happened
it would be like this:o

Zayre88

This thread has lots of junk but the main topic was good.  For example, what if Ames had plenty of money to expand, renovate stores and roll out new concepts?  

It would have been nice to see Ames thriving and gaining ground instead of downsizing, closing stores, and keep old ones. (even if some of us kinda like those stores)

Wal-Mart, Target and Kmart each had common styles and prototypes.  What if Ames had the money to launch this concept to improve its image:

Dman_currier

Well with K-Mart/Sears doing badly I could see K-MArt going out of business within the next 3 years unless Target buys the chain. I personnally don't see Wal-Mart going out of business anytime soon but when it does the feces is gonna hit the fan.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by Dman_currier
Well with K-Mart/Sears doing badly I could see K-MArt going out of business within the next 3 years unless Target buys the chain. I personnally don't see Wal-Mart going out of business anytime soon but when it does the feces is gonna hit the fan.

well target dosent expand alot and they respcte there stores there image and the towns and citysthey bult there stores in thats why tagret dsoe soo well as for wal mart they over expand they put any chain outta bizz there stores suck they sell crap and teh super cenetrs are eevn worse they food they have is crap and mosy of teh meats and fruits and such are nothing like the ones they have at A&P or Stop&shop and tehre stuff is just not fresh and its just dosnet have teh feel of a super mark were as Target dosent go crazy with the super centers even kmart dident really go crazy with the super kmarts the kmart and sears mgers wa sa bad move in a way its really hurting Sears image it makes them look cheep now about that ames probley shoudl have put mmoney towards rentvation there older stores insed of buying out hill's but Caldor also did that and still went out but caldor always had good stuff at good prices sure they wernt like wal mart there were more piced simaler to target byut im sure if wal mart didnet come up hear caldor would probley stil be around now bradlees im sure would have closed they nevere put in anytime or money to redue there eolder stores many of bradlees stores were old and dum,py looking thats what really hurt them along with many outehr things
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

powersbt

I do my Grocery shopping at a Wal Mart Shopping Center. I do not buy anything there that is Produce or Meat except for things that are name brand. For the most part, they have good prices on their items, just have to know your prices. I can buy $30 worth of Groceries there that I would spend near $50 for at a Supermarket. When the Wal Mart Supercenter opened near me, the Supermarkets saw a jump in sales in their Produce and Meat sales for that reason. Not everything that they sell at Wal Mart isn't junk. They sell Name Brand items there that I cannot find at a Supermarket.  

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
QuoteOriginally posted by Dman_currier

well target dosent expand alot and they respcte there stores there image and the towns and citysthey bult there stores in thats why tagret dsoe soo well as for wal mart they over expand they put any chain outta bizz there stores suck they sell crap and teh super cenetrs are eevn worse they food they have is crap and mosy of teh meats and fruits and such are nothing like the ones they have at A&P or Stop&shop and tehre stuff is just not fresh and its just dosnet have teh feel of a super mark were as Target dosent go crazy with the super centers even kmart dident really go crazy with the super kmarts the kmart and sears mgers wa sa bad move in a way its really hurting Sears image it makes them look cheep now about that ames probley shoudl have put mmoney towards rentvation there older stores insed of buying out hill's but Caldor also did that and still went out but caldor always had good stuff at good prices sure they wernt like wal mart there were more piced simaler to target byut im sure if wal mart didnet come up hear caldor would probley stil be around now bradlees im sure would have closed they nevere put in anytime or money to redue there eolder stores many of bradlees stores were old and dum,py looking thats what really hurt them along with many outehr things

dmx10101

Wal-mart's also a terrible company to work for, despite what they try to convey. I worked for them for 8 months, thats all I was able to last.
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

Ameskid

My Wal-Mart made a VERY stupid decision. They decided to tear down their regular Wal-Mart, and build a Wal-Mart Super Dooper Center (of people's lives) about a block away! And what's even lamer, is that people now lament that they liked the old Wal-Mart better. I was one of them. When I was shopping for school supplies, our cashier even admitted that SHE liked the old one better.

And I can't imagine Target buying Kmart, though it might be necessary to save them. Sorry if I've gotten off-topic. :barf:
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

beachgal26

I agree with Zayre88 that we need to stick to the original topic and that if some of the buyouts by Ames had not happened, we might actually have some choices as to where we can shop.  I would rather have the choice to go to an Ames, Zayre or Hills any day than to have no choice but to go to a Wal-Mart since they are all over the place.

In addition, I have always wondered why Ames, etc. did not extend themselves in more areas of the country that just up North (and FL in the 80's).  I have always wondered if they had more stores in a variety of states that they would have at least had some choices to close under-performing locations and expand in the areas where their sales were the strongest....

Due to all the nonsense with KMart and Sears, we have gone from having 7 KMarts in my area to having one that is almost an hour away and in one of the poorest and most dangerous areas in Memphis.

:( :( :( :( :(   :mad:  :( :( :( :( :(