Sears to close 100 to 120 Kmart, Sears stores

Started by katnapped, December 27, 2011, 07:17:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmesNewington

Quote from: Zayre88 on October 14, 2018, 05:41:46 PM
Quote from: retailisking on October 13, 2018, 10:29:08 AM
That will ultimately be decided by the bankruptcy court, but plans call for the stores to remain open through Christmas, with the exception of about 150 stores that are supposed to close immediately.

Not sure what they mean by immediately. It's true that technically, they can close immediately and ship merchandise to stores remaining open. To me that's costly. In some areas, there are almost no Sears Holdings stores anymore. They would have to pack everything, it's not worth it, especially for the so many kinds of items department stores carry.

Maybe they mean "immediately" as the stores would go into liquidation sale immediately.

You are probably right. They must mean the 150 or so locations would enter liquidation sales immediately, while the rest would remain open until at least after the holidays, unless they can stay afloat longer.

TheFugitive

The judge who has been assigned to Sears bankruptcy case is named Robert Drain.

How ironic.  Sears will be literally circling the drain.

deerwrecker2017

Quote from: TheFugitive on October 15, 2018, 07:48:51 AM

You are right in regards to the judge hearing the Sears Bankruptcy case it would be absolutely ironic about Sears literally circling the drain.

retailisking

Quote from: deerwrecker2017 on October 15, 2018, 06:03:52 PM

You are right in regards to the judge hearing the Sears Bankruptcy case it would be absolutely ironic about Sears literally circling the drain.

The Southern District of New York (SDNY) is a very popular venue for bankruptcies.

TheFugitive

Quote from: retailisking on October 15, 2018, 09:26:45 PM
Quote from: deerwrecker2017 on October 15, 2018, 06:03:52 PM

The Southern District of New York (SDNY) is a very popular venue for bankruptcies.

Tell me about it.  When I worked for Ames I spent a year in a new store that was planned to do $6 mil and we did $9mil.  I had thus earned what was for me at the time a very substantial bonus of around $6000.

Then Ames filed Chap. 11.  The venue was indeed the Southern District of New York.  I filed paperwork with the court to try and claim at least some of my bonus.

Ames' attorneys responded by telling the court that they had already paid me.  An out-and-out lie.

Only problem was, my only recourse was to schedule a hearing at the Bankruptcy Court, which was in Manhattan.  I was living in Michigan at the time.  I would have to take time off and travel to New York on my own dime.  If my claim was ever settled for ten cents on the dollar I might have just recouped my travel expenses.

I had a young family and really could have used that money.  Bankruptcy law is a scummy business.

danfifepsu

I just have a feeling that they will have a disastrous Xmas season and the creditors then will push to liquidate and January-February they will announce they will close all and the last closes early Spring.

Zayre88

danfifepsu

Quote from: Zayre88 on October 30, 2018, 05:41:31 AM
Up to 145 additional stores may close:

Even More Stores To Close - Sears Bankruptcy Update

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4215540-even-stores-close-sears-bankruptcy-update

The number of waves of closing jut goes up, I went to Kmart in Hooksett 2 days ago at 7 pm and it was dead and it may make more sense for Sears Holding to just close their doors. I feel JC Penny must love this.

Amesguy2000

I wish that the list would be available now....

danfifepsu

Quote from: Amesguy2000 on October 30, 2018, 09:41:23 AM
I wish that the list would be available now....

in the last 2 yrs some have closed where Kmart is the only store like it, and if they cant make it where there is no competition for a while away, they are done.

Amesguy2000

Thats what happened in Gas City Indiana....   Its a small town with only Kmart Dollar General and New Market in the same plaza and Kmart just closed on the last list of stores that closed and they still have the K sign up and the store closing sign up... Awkward but... its a very very small town.

danfifepsu

Quote from: Amesguy2000 on October 30, 2018, 10:05:01 AM
Thats what happened in Gas City Indiana....   Its a small town with only Kmart Dollar General and New Market in the same plaza and Kmart just closed on the last list of stores that closed and they still have the K sign up and the store closing sign up... Awkward but... its a very very small town.

why did Kmart do that some of those places ther was no Walmart or Target for 30 to 60 min and they STILL CLOSED.