Sears to close 100 to 120 Kmart, Sears stores

Started by katnapped, December 27, 2011, 07:17:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danfifepsu

Quote from: JJBers on May 09, 2018, 04:42:05 PM
From what the articles say, Sears/Kmart will be gone in some time.
This means that sometime in the near future neither brand will be around.

(Personally, I don't care)

me tooo as there is Lowes when it come sto SEars, there is WAlmart and TArget when it comes to Kmart. Kmart went way downhill to where I feel differently than Toys r us and its down to 360 stores.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

There's also Shopko and Meijer for those looking for a regional alternative to Walmart and Target in a post-Kmart Midwestern United States.
As for post-Sears United States, look to JCPenney, Kohl's, T.J. Maxx/Marshalls/HomeGoods, Ross Dress For Less, Burlington, Target, Gordmans, etc. for fashion and home furnishings. (Bon-Ton, who owns Elder-Beerman, Boston Store, Younkers, Carson's and many other department stores will all be gone by this time as well. 
Home Depot, Lowe's, Menards, Tractor Supply Company, Mills' Fleet Farm, etc. will be great substitutions for Sears for people looking for hardware, auto parts, gardening tools, etc.
For pharmacies in a post-Kmart U.S., there's Walgreens and CVS, as well as the in-store pharmacies at Walmart, Target, Meijer and Shopko.

Kmart4life

Here is the Brandon Florida location which is closing, last sale day is June 24th.

busman_49

I will be sad to see Kmart and Sears go, but at this point it's mainly for the nostalgia.  Both stores were a big part of my childhood, but they just aren't relevant anymore. 

giantsfan2016

Quote from: ShopKoFan on May 09, 2018, 10:17:39 PM
There's also Shopko and Meijer for those looking for a regional alternative to Walmart and Target in a post-Kmart Midwestern United States.
As for post-Sears United States, look to JCPenney, Kohl's, T.J. Maxx/Marshalls/HomeGoods, Ross Dress For Less, Burlington, Target, Gordmans, etc. for fashion and home furnishings. (Bon-Ton, who owns Elder-Beerman, Boston Store, Younkers, Carson's and many other department stores will all be gone by this time as well. 
Home Depot, Lowe's, Menards, Tractor Supply Company, Mills' Fleet Farm, etc. will be great substitutions for Sears for people looking for hardware, auto parts, gardening tools, etc.
For pharmacies in a post-Kmart U.S., there's Walgreens and CVS, as well as the in-store pharmacies at Walmart, Target, Meijer and Shopko.

For Department Stores there are also 47 or 48 Boscov stores in 7 States if you include their outlet store and their soon-to-open store in Milford, CT.

mjb1124

Kmart in Somerset/Franklin Township, NJ is closing.

Can't say I'll miss the store.  It was ugly, dated, cluttered, not very well run, and I don't have fond memories of my brief time working there.

danfifepsu

Quote from: mjb1124 on May 10, 2018, 05:24:29 PM

Can't say I'll miss the store.  It was ugly, dated, cluttered, not very well run, and I don't have fond memories of my brief time working there.

why is it? And so is Bennington VT, the last one in Vt. in the last year they have pulled out of RI, and AL. 2 are left in GEorgia. whats that show?

JJBers

Quote from: danfifepsu on May 10, 2018, 05:34:17 PM

why is it? And so is Bennington VT, the last one in Vt. in the last year they have pulled out of RI, and AL. 2 are left in GEorgia. whats that show?
That Kmart is outdated and losing sales.
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

danfifepsu

Quote from: JJBers on May 10, 2018, 05:45:09 PM
Quote from: danfifepsu on May 10, 2018, 05:34:17 PM

That Kmart is outdated and losing sales.

Outdated, thats FOR SURE. like I have been to many of the parking lot with potholes, their stores look same as they did in the 1980s and many not much different since it opened 25 to 45 years ago. IT seems old Compared to WAlmart and Target who remodel their stores every 10 yrs.

Losing sales has gone on for years. The first big wave of closings was back in 1994 / 1995.

So none are left in VT afer this. whats that show of now leaving states and many states with 1 to 5 left.

retailisking

Here's a photo of the (ugly) Bennington Kmart parking lot. Can't say I blame customers for staying away, especially after the Walmart expanded to a Supercenter a while back.

danfifepsu

Quote from: retailisking on May 10, 2018, 11:19:20 PM
Here's a photo of the (ugly) Bennington Kmart parking lot. Can't say I blame customers for staying away, especially after the Walmart expanded to a Supercenter a while back.

There wont be anymore Kmarts in VErmont with this closing.

But WAlmart expanding its store, it was only a matter of time I have to say that this happened.

BillyGr

Although they may call the Walmart a Supercenter, it is still small(er) than most, isn't it?  When they first announced the expansion plans, they mentioned around 100,000 Sq. Ft, which isn't even as large as most regular Walmart stores were.

That, plus less other competition (no Target, no malls in the area) probably helped this one last as long as it did.

danfifepsu

there is Albany 50 min away. DONT FORGET: this is the LAST KMART in Vermont. Is Queensbury Next?

giantsfan2016

Quote from: BillyGr on May 11, 2018, 10:23:58 AM
Although they may call the Walmart a Supercenter, it is still small(er) than most, isn't it?  When they first announced the expansion plans, they mentioned around 100,000 Sq. Ft, which isn't even as large as most regular Walmart stores were.

That, plus less other competition (no Target, no malls in the area) probably helped this one last as long as it did.

Yes BillyGR. The Walmart in my town is a regular Walmart and is small. 95,000 Square Feet. It's in an old Caldor. The one in Waterbury, Connecticut is 140,000 Square feet is a regular Walmart and not a Supercenter. There's a Stop and Shop in the same plaza, so they can't have two supermarkets in the same plaza.

MikeinBuffalo

Finally happened...the Sears at the Eastern Hills Mall in Clarence, N.Y., is scheduled to close. An original anchor of the mall, it's been there since the 1970s. That means that EHM will have one anchor left since Macy's and Bon Ton left. This will likely hurt what is left of the food court business.
Bed Bath and Beyond grunt.
N.Y. Ames Pilgrimages completed: Medina #69, Alden #78, Collins #79, Tonawanda #251, Blasdell #1066, South Cheektowaga #1077 (RIP), Cheektowaga/Depew #1079, Buffalo #1109, Buffalo #1206 (RIP)
Dead Retail of Buffalo on my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/141912098@N03/albums

retailisking

Quote from: MikeinBuffalo on September 25, 2018, 06:43:25 PM
Finally happened...the Sears at the Eastern Hills Mall in Clarence, N.Y., is scheduled to close. An original anchor of the mall, it's been there since the 1970s. That means that EHM will have one anchor left since Macy's and Bon Ton left. This will likely hurt what is left of the food court business.

Sears sold the store to the companies that are redeveloping EHM into a mixed-use town center.
https://buffalonews.com/2018/09/25/second-to-last-sears-will-close-at-eastern-hills-mall/

danfifepsu

retailisking

Quote from: danfifepsu on October 10, 2018, 02:03:45 PM
Sears Holding May file for bankruptcy!
There's no may about it - they're filing. Eddie has taken the company off life support, and the lenders are lowering the boom. They've also stopped paying vendors. They're expected to file over the weekend.
https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/lampert-wont-bailout-sears-this-time
https://www.wsj.com/articles/big-lenders-make-push-to-liquidate-sears-1539257424
https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/11/business/sears-vendors/index.html

TheFugitive

It's rare, but vendors CAN push you into an involuntary Chap. 7 liquidation.

It happened to the company that employed me in college, David Weis Jewelers and Distributors.

danfifepsu

Quote from: retailisking on October 11, 2018, 08:18:07 AM
Quote from: danfifepsu on October 10, 2018, 02:03:45 PM
Sears Holding May file for bankruptcy!
There's no may about it - they're filing. Eddie has taken the company off life support, and the lenders are lowering the boom. They've also stopped paying vendors.
https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/lampert-wont-bailout-sears-this-time
https://www.wsj.com/articles/big-lenders-make-push-to-liquidate-sears-1539257424
https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/11/business/sears-vendors/index.html

when is Liquidation? I had a business owner friend who said they should cut their losses and move on.

retailisking

Quote from: danfifepsu on October 11, 2018, 06:08:10 PM
when is Liquidation? I had a business owner friend who said they should cut their losses and move on.
That will ultimately be decided by the bankruptcy court, but plans call for the stores to remain open through Christmas, with the exception of about 150 stores that are supposed to close immediately.

danfifepsu

Quote from: retailisking on October 13, 2018, 10:29:08 AM
That will ultimately be decided by the bankruptcy court, but plans call for the stores to remain open through Christmas, with the exception of about 150 stores that are supposed to close immediately.

immediately? what of sales?

giantsfan2016

Quote from: danfifepsu on October 13, 2018, 04:33:45 PM

They'll probably ship stuff to the stores remaining open. That's what Mattress Firm did.

More from CNBC about the Sears bankruptcy plan.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/12/sears-nears-a-bankruptcy-deal-that-could-keep-it-open-this-christmas.html

danfifepsu

Quote from: Brammy on October 13, 2018, 07:46:23 PM

They'll probably ship stuff to the stores remaining open. That's what Mattress Firm did.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/12/sears-nears-a-bankruptcy-deal-that-could-keep-it-open-this-christmas.html

Oh so employees could walk in one day and realize they dont have a job? wow! thats not good. and well selling off the merchandise generates cash but Kmart / SEars has burned through that cash.

yes 2 Kmarts are about to be left in CT, in Vernon and Watertown. CT was never a Kmart state it seemed even in Kmart's heyday.

AmesNewington

Quote from: danfifepsu on October 13, 2018, 08:05:00 PM

Oh so employees could walk in one day and realize they dont have a job? wow! thats not good. and well selling off the merchandise generates cash but Kmart / SEars has burned through that cash.

yes 2 Kmarts are about to be left in CT, in Vernon and Watertown. CT was never a Kmart state it seemed even in Kmart's heyday.

I hope they keep their CT stores open until they all end up closing. I especially hope the Kmart in Vernon and Sears in Meriden survive until at least the end of the year. Still like them for clothes and accessories as opposed to Walmart.

danfifepsu

Quote from: AmesNewington on October 13, 2018, 08:17:41 PM

I hope they keep their CT stores open until they all end up closing. I especially hope the Kmart in Vernon and Sears in Meriden survive until at least the end of the year. Still like them for clothes and accessories as opposed to Walmart.

whats chances any SEars or Kmart will make it to next Summer?

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Quote from: danfifepsu on October 13, 2018, 08:19:59 PM
Quote from: AmesNewington on October 13, 2018, 08:17:41 PM

whats chances any SEars or Kmart will make it to next Summer?
They won't make it to next summer. That is impossible. They said they'll make it to Christmas.

Zayre88

Not sure what they mean by immediately. It's true that technically, they can close immediately and ship merchandise to stores remaining open. To me that's costly. In some areas, there are almost no Sears Holdings stores anymore. They would have to pack everything, it's not worth it, especially for the so many kinds of items department stores carry.

Maybe they mean "immediately" as the stores would go into liquidation sale immediately.