Sears to close 100 to 120 Kmart, Sears stores

Started by katnapped, December 27, 2011, 07:17:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_fife

jason83080

"Remember, back in the 2000s, when Kmart was closing stores left and right? Who could have seen them turning around and buying Walmart, making the biggest retail comeback since Ames bought Hills?"  :D

TheFugitive

Quote from: muppethammer26 on October 14, 2014, 06:56:37 PM
Quote from: jason83080 on October 14, 2014, 06:35:19 PM
"Remember, back in the 2000s, when Kmart was closing stores left and right? Who could have seen them turning around and buying Walmart, making the biggest retail comeback since Ames bought Hills?"  :D

The problem is that if Kmart brought Walmart, then the new Kmart/Walmart company would become an monopoly and would be forced to sell or close some stores.

That would be open to the interpretation of Federal regulators.
And given the current state of the economy, they might opt to approve the deal.

After all, if one goes down, what other large competitor would be left out there anyway?
They might opt to punt and save as many jobs as they can.

BillyGr

Quote from: TheFugitive on October 15, 2014, 09:33:00 AM
Quote from: muppethammer26 on October 14, 2014, 06:56:37 PM
Quote from: jason83080 on October 14, 2014, 06:35:19 PM
"Remember, back in the 2000s, when Kmart was closing stores left and right? Who could have seen them turning around and buying Walmart, making the biggest retail comeback since Ames bought Hills?"  :D

The problem is that if Kmart brought Walmart, then the new Kmart/Walmart company would become an monopoly and would be forced to sell or close some stores.

That would be open to the interpretation of Federal regulators.
And given the current state of the economy, they might opt to approve the deal.

After all, if one goes down, what other large competitor would be left out there anyway?
They might opt to punt and save as many jobs as they can.

Perhaps the folks at Target would like to remind everyone that they are still open? 
Not exactly the same, but still pretty similar to WalK-Mart.

katnapped

More closings afoot....three more Sears locations and two more Kmart's announced today.

retailisking

Quote from: catnap72 on October 15, 2014, 05:33:29 PM
More closings afoot....three more Sears locations and two more Kmart's announced today.

Including the Sears in Presque Isle, ME that was supposed to stay open
http://bangordailynews.com/2013/07/09/business/sears-in-presque-isle-to-close-at-least-58-to-lose-their-jobs

d_fife

kmarts in ann arbor (LAST ONE) and Dewitt NY are closing why?

sears is in presquie isle is closing why? whatll happen to that mall. and fingerlakes mall and Fordge dodge iowa are closing too

I went to the Kmart closing sales in Claremont nh and Zepherillys Fl in the last week.

my brothers comment is Kmart is getting old. The one near him in Portsmouth NH just closed last year.

katnapped

Sears locations in Cary, NC and Massena, NY as well as a Sears Grand outside Pittsburgh (PA) also closing.

katnapped

katnapped

d_fife

d_fife

retailfan

Just announced The Kmart here in greenwood Indiana is closing January 2015 :(
now that just leaves walmart and target both  a distance from my home

d_fife

http://touch.orlandosentinel.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-81708997/ Winter Springs is closing too but then no one was there when I Went in there last week.

why will there only be 2 left around there now

retailfan

The store In Greenwood Indiana which is supposed to start liquidating November 2 has already started 10-30% off
all sales final  Its a shame because this is the only store in this area of Greenwood  and its very convenient

ynkeesfn82

The King of Prussia Mall Sears is done.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Sears-to-Close-at-King-of-Prussia-Mall-279851032.html

Thanks to my friend Jeff Ryan (who once was a DJ at Philly's Country Station WXTU) for sending me this link.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

It won't be too long before Sears closes their Mall of America store in Bloomington, Minnesota. They survived the closing of Bloomingdale's, so I am pretty sure they'll survive the closing of Sears. I hope that Dillard's or Lord & Taylor replaces Sears at that mall. Sears was an original Mall of America tenant, having opened with the mall in 1992. The mall is the largest in the United States, and is visited by people from all over the world.

Hudsons81

In addition, sooner or later, Sears may have to close their store at the Lincoln Park Shopping Center in Lincoln Park, Michigan. If that happens, that would be the final nail in the coffin for that strip mall that is otherwise 100% vacant, other than a Bank of America and a Big Boy in the outlot along Dix Highway. Not only that, they may have to close their Fairlane Town Center store in Dearborn, Michigan as well. I'm not sure how long that would stay vacant-there's a Lord & Taylor that has never been retenanted since it closed in 2006 and they also used to have a Saks Fifth Avenue that they demolished and replaced with upscale sit-down restaurants.

You know how bad things are now at Sears Holdings when they even had to shut down both the flagship Sears store in the Chicago Loop and the Big Kmart at the Gallery in Center City Philadelphia this year.

d_fife

Bay city MI and Enid Ok are closing for Sears.

d_fife

Quote from: ShopKoFan on October 20, 2014, 10:18:42 PM
It won't be too long before Sears closes their Mall of America store in Bloomington, Minnesota. They survived the closing of Bloomingdale's, so I am pretty sure they'll survive the closing of Sears. I hope that Dillard's or Lord & Taylor replaces Sears at that mall. Sears was an original Mall of America tenant, having opened with the mall in 1992. The mall is the largest in the United States, and is visited by people from all over the world.

will that hurt the Mall of America? i went there 5 yrs ago.

MikeRa

Quote from: Hudsons81 on October 21, 2014, 07:48:55 AM
In addition, sooner or later, Sears may have to close their store at the Lincoln Park Shopping Center in Lincoln Park, Michigan. If that happens, that would be the final nail in the coffin for that strip mall that is otherwise 100% vacant, other than a Bank of America and a Big Boy in the outlot along Dix Highway. Not only that, they may have to close their Fairlane Town Center store in Dearborn, Michigan as well. I'm not sure how long that would stay vacant-there's a Lord & Taylor that has never been retenanted since it closed in 2006 and they also used to have a Saks Fifth Avenue that they demolished and replaced with upscale sit-down restaurants.

You know how bad things are now at Sears Holdings when they even had to shut down both the flagship Sears store in the Chicago Loop and the Big Kmart at the Gallery in Center City Philadelphia this year.
It wasn't Sears Holdings fault for the closing of the Center City Philadelphia Kmart.  It was the owner of the Gallery (PREIT) who decided to kick Kmart out of the mall
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

d_fife