Main Menu

The Weather Channel

Started by Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill), May 19, 2009, 01:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Is there anyone here that likes The Weather Channel? I do. I like the Local on the 8s the most. I also like that the Local on the 8s are inserted using Weather Star technology.

"What is a Weather Star?"
A Weather Star is a piece of computeized equipment installed at a cable headend that generates local forecasts for The Weather Channel in your area.

Weather Star I/II - Text based Weather Stars used by The Weather Channel in the 1980s

Weather Star III (a.k.a Weather Star 3000) - The text-based Weather Star system used from 1987 to 2004. It was decommissioned in 2004, due to the lack of a proper warning tone during severe weather.

Weather Star 4000 - The first graphics-capable Weather Star system which had the ability to generate icons, maps, and radar, as well as other weather-related text.

Weather Star XL - The second generation graphics-capable Weather Star model introduced in 1998.

Intellistar - The current Weather Star system.

Weather Star Jr. - A low-budget Weather Star system found in smaller cable headends.

jmcnamara96

Yea i like local on the 8s

momof3

I too like the local on the 8's we especially watch it when theres a baseball game (our boys) and we want to see when it may rain or stop raining its good to look at the radar.

NJxxJon

I remember the BLUE SCREEN WARNINGS when thunderstorms would come........hhahah
JN

momof3

Watched it yesterday and they have this awful sounding alarm when you have a weather alert in the area, its ear piercing and then the orange banner on the bottom.  My kids had it on and I finally had to turn it off.

Marc82

Yeah the alarm was annoying, but I was enjoying those storm documentries they were running.

XDeSuEhTX

I prefer Weatherscan. Mostly because it's costant local weather reporting. Something I imagine The Weather Channel used to have.

I remember when it used to look like some of those.
"Ancient malls, overgrown like Roman ruins without the class, our generation will be remembered for our greatest works, our trinkets at Spencer Gifts"

Marc82

Here in Connecticut we have 2 24 hour weather channels. Eyewitness News Now (COMCAST 247 and COX Channel 801), which is run by WFSB. News and Weather info 24/7. And There's SKYMAX Dopplar Weather run by WTNH. (COX Channel 125. Not on Comcast). Even tho NBC discontinued Weather Plus when they bought The Weather Channel we still have NBC Weather Plus (Comcast 240-something and COX 800). But it's a shadow of what it once was.

XISMZERO

Here's some images from the WeatherSTAR 4000 emulator running on my PC designed by Taiganet.com's "Bill" who replicated the classic, iconic "The Weather Channel On The 8s" program.

The program is a dream for people like me who are obsessed with some of the smaller oddities in life as it's data entry is almost entirely customizable.

All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Here's some images from the WeatherSTAR 4000 emulator running on my PC designed by Taiganet.com's "Bill" who replicated the classic, iconic "The Weather Channel On The 8s" program. The emulator is currently a beta, but will still work as it would on your TV.

In this one, I changed the logo to the older one seen on the 4000's earliest renditions (early 1990s).
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Here's some images from the WeatherSTAR 4000 emulator running on my PC designed by Taiganet.com's "Bill" who replicated the classic, iconic "The Weather Channel On The 8s" program.

The Regional Map of the Northeast Region. I plotted all the city data to my preference.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

36 Hour Forecast for the Hartford Area.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

The Adamantium Elbow

I honestly do use it to help me fall asleep. Although it is nice to have a channel on to tell you the weather anytime of the day  for when you're heading out .